Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite crafting system in any mmo and why?

Comments

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

In order

1. Wurm Online

2. Xyzon Online

3. Eve online

4. Fallen Earth

I was put off by Wurm online for a long time because of the graphics but they have much improved on the graphics. Wurm is pretty much 100% crafting. Look it up.

I've played it before, but i never did craft, all i did was help a community forum village out and gather resources like stone and stuff from the local mine and chop wood that is not an apple tree (which is hard as hell to find).

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Diplomacy in Vanguard was good.  Actual crafting in Vanguard was terrible.

What I want is a crafting minigame that is actually fun in its own right.  Basically, no games do this.  They make crafting boring and stupid and have you only do it for other reasons than the actual gameplay.  So you do it to corner the market, or to make money, or to level something.  But you don't do it because it is fun because 99.99% of the crafting minigames out there are mindless clicking combined with mindless resource gathering.

Why is this?  Who knows?  It seems bizarre to have a gameplay item designed to be boring so that most people don't play it.  They need to hire an actual puzzle gameplay person (someone who has designed a puyo puyo game or tetris or whatever) and have then degisn a crafting minigame that is actually fun.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by nennafir

What I want is a crafting minigame that is actually fun in its own right.  Basically, no games do this.  They make crafting boring and stupid and have you only do it for other reasons than the actual gameplay.  So you do it to corner the market, or to make money, or to level something.  But you don't do it because it is fun because 99.99% of the crafting minigames out there are mindless clicking combined with mindless resource gathering.

Why is this?  Who knows?  It seems bizarre to have a gameplay item designed to be boring so that most people don't play it.  They need to hire an actual puzzle gameplay person (someone who has designed a puyo puyo game or tetris or whatever) and have then degisn a crafting minigame that is actually fun.

I am a programmer but not in gaming and if I was to ever dive into game development (which I doubt I will because its so stressful) I would make a crafting API for developer. For example, most crafting needs wood, thus a saw, mines, thus an axe, a sword needs a forge etc.

Why program that over and over again just have one very large very deep API a game dev can snap in and make a few tweaks.

In short (for those who know programming design patterns) the crafting engine should be abstracted out and somewhat interchangeable

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Yes!  Yay minigames as the method of doing gathering and crafting!  Fishing for example - fishing is the subject of many games, it's obvious that a good minigame can be made for this activity, why do so many MMOs have stupid boring "wait for a random catch" fishing? -_-

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
    I would have to go with the people on SWG. It was by far the most comprehensive and complex crafting system of any game.
  • IsomanIsoman Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by hyllstarter
    Well it was Star wars Galaxies.

^This. Crafting in SWG was so detailed and complex, people either loved it or they hated it. As an architect, my specialty was crafting structures and furniture, although I could also craft vehicles, clothing, basic armor, weapons and food. Experimentation was a great feature which allowed crafters to adjust item stats before the crafting process was complete. There were also different quality gathering materials which greatly affected the finished product. A very interesting take on crafting, and the most complex I have ever seen in an MMO.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

My favorite would be a combination of vanilla EQ2 crafting and FFXI.The reason is the EQ2 system was more realistic,offering variances in crafts and having to make the pieces first.FFXI just has the most depth of any crafting system and kept many secrets ,well until players figured them out.

Not sure if you can call it crafting but i liked the Runes of Magic system with the cubes and imbuing and removing stats from other items,if that was combined into EQ2 and FFXI type crafting,it would be awesome,however no cash shop either,that ruins everything.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

What? No Lineage 2? 

L2 had the best crafting, because you could craft EVERYTHING in the game. No to say the mats "gathering" .

Of course, this was Pre-GOD, but I heard they started to bring the old crafting system back, which is nice to hear. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

UO - I pretty much made everything I used for every day playing, the housing, vendors...So I would say it was the most useful, with the way the game worked, decay and such.  I am talking older UO, not too up to date on the newer versions, even though I have played some.

Vanguard - Stuff you made was useful, and tied in with their harvesting system, rares/ultra rares, group harvesting.

SWG - A ton of depth, although harvesting could almost become a second job, at least until you got stocked up on everything.

I like good harvesting tied in with crafting that is useful. People do not like decay, mix that with quests giving you gear/weapons, usually crafting is a add on, pretty much to say they have it anymore.

I want crafting to be something similar to puzzle pirates, like blacksmithing should be a 3-match game, same with house construction on gathering the appoprate icons on a chain and to eliminate trouble blocks (rotted wood, broken brick, Rusty Nails, etc), Stuff like that so it be fun indeed.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    SWG gets my vote. In a weird way I liked FFXI as a close second. Not because the crafting was fun or easy, but because just about everything had a use and in a game where gear didn't bind to characters, it was pretty profitable as well. I made killings on ninja tools and foods and took special pride in being able to level the jobs people complained were too costly by working at it and producing my own ammunition and such. Every game since then has felt like crafting is an afterthought implemented in the game and the economy is non existent. Crafting has become a way to get stats or best in slot items but little else meaninfgul out of it. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

I am a programmer but not in gaming and if I was to ever dive into game development (which I doubt I will because its so stressful) I would make a crafting API for developer. For example, most crafting needs wood, thus a saw, mines, thus an axe, a sword needs a forge etc.

Why program that over and over again just have one very large very deep API a game dev can snap in and make a few tweaks.

In short (for those who know programming design patterns) the crafting engine should be abstracted out and somewhat interchangeable

It will be nice to see you put your skills into this, as you know programming. I'll try to make it myself if only I have the rights to, the knowledge to make it, and be able to distribute it towards fellow programmers trying to make a game themselves with a better crafting system to boot if it's ever possible...

Man, hearing about UO and Vanguard makes me want to reinstall vanguard and subscribe, but I got alot of other games to play and games to beat first... ugh!!!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by darkedone02

It will be nice to see you put your skills into this, as you know programming. I'll try to make it myself if only I have the rights to, the knowledge to make it, and be able to distribute it towards fellow programmers trying to make a game themselves with a better crafting system to boot if it's ever possible...

Man, hearing about UO and Vanguard makes me want to reinstall vanguard and subscribe, but I got alot of other games to play and games to beat first... ugh!!!

It could even be tiered for complexity. So for example:

Tier 1: mine iron ore make sword

Tier 2: mine iron ore, forge make sword

Tier 3: mine iron ore, smelt, forge make sword

Tier 4: mine iron ore or steel ore or copper ore and each type will have different attributes to armour or sword

Tier 5: you can make a mixture of different ore types to make a mixture of attributes or durablity

just as an example and then the devs can set the API to whatever Tier they want for their audience.

But I have watched a few documentries on indie development and it looks horrifically stressful

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

AC2 craft 1.0 (2.0 sucks)

Earth and Beyond (items gets worn off so players have to consistently buy from crafters. Crafted bullets are also superior.)

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I never played SWG so I'll have to say Vanguard.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    to think back my fave would be that of mortal onlne it was very difacult and hard to make what i wanted i had to exsperament a lot and was fullfillng in the end to see people use your wepons and ask for more if you did a good job
    Originally posted by pierth

I never played SWG so I'll have to say Vanguard.

I've heard you can go back to play SWG for free on this private server that host on Pre-CU, you may have to google it as i doubt i could show you the way.

Originally posted by Tatercake
    to think back my fave would be that of mortal onlne it was very difacult and hard to make what i wanted i had to exsperament a lot and was fullfillng in the end to see people use your wepons and ask for more if you did a good job

I used to play Mortal Online and try to craft in that game, however it's kinda hard to be what I wanted. I wanted to be an architect and study on making and repairing buildings, however the problem with my profession now is that there is hardly anybody who want's an architect. I've been spamming on the busy streets and nobody even responds to recruit me. The population in that game is declining and sadly I just gave up on that game and uninstalled it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Making parts that is required for something else somebody else can't make with their chosen profession and making the final product be destroyed once it gets 0 durabilty. That way it's always in demand. With varying qualitys of craftsmanship depending on skill, timing and luck. So, someone who is a master of the craft still can be a crap craftsman if their not careful.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    Originally posted by Sunscour

I would have to say EQ2.

Something Zen about crafting.

I do agree but my only beef with the Everquest 2 crafting system is that it tends to get dull and repetitive after crafting your first 10-20 items, you know what it is, how to do it, but after constently crafting stuff and doing crafting quests over and over, i'll dull out.

agreed.. I didn't like EQ2 crafting mini game..   For me the best system was SWG, but there are many issues I had with it too..  Original EQ was ok too, until later after 4 expansions, then it became a pain in the arse..   I would like to see something from a mix of SWG, GW2 and EQ..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    The only time I was ever a proper crater was when my guild needed one, crafting is just not for me. But I regard it as an integral part of what makes a MMO a great MMO. The economics and social side to a MMO that it produces are invaluable.
  • ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Eve online

Why?

You can reprocess with full skills to get 100% materials back. Yes you can profit  from morons that "minerals i mine are free". But it got changed recently with unrecoverable minerals.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Of all the MMOs I've played, two stand out.  Fallen Earth is probably number one.  It had some complexity and depth, and the stuff you made was actually worthwhile.  I also kind of enjoyed the cooking aspect of crafting in GW2.  There was something fun about mixing and matching ingredients to make a meal.

I only played SWG for a week or two, so I can't comment on that much.  And as far as Eve, I played the trial and liked what I saw, but the fact that so many people had so much invested into the game already...I felt like I'd never catch up.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I have found crafting  in most mmog to be an afterthought...at best.Perfunctory gathering followed by 100% creation. Uuggghh !

To find great crafting in a great mmog....is the rarest find of all.

Given my obsession with mmogs with faction vs faction conflict as the primary  focus of the game...and finding great crafting  has been a quest I still have not completed.

(so...I play SKYRIM with the SKYRIM REDONE mod and get more satisfaction than from any of today's mmog.I remain a bit sardonic about Elder Scrolls Online chances of being the next contender...though THE REPOPULATION is a possibility).

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

Active game would be EQII before they nurffed it. Of all time it would have to be Horizon ( I think thats the name had dragons as ma mplayable race.).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by ruonim

Eve online

Why?

You can reprocess with full skills to get 100% materials back. Yes you can profit  from morons that "minerals i mine are free". But it got changed recently with unrecoverable minerals.

FFXI can do this and more.You can reprocess items you did not craft,in other words drops.Too bad most still will never know how in depth FFXI was,the most depth in systems of any game and was made for console.Not only can FFXI do it,you have to raise that skill in that particular craft,it is not something you can just automate,in other words you have to earn that ability.Most of Eve is just place a check mark in a box and learn it over time even if afk.

EQ2 vanilla started with some depth but like so many games now it dumbed down to remove the mat making and now you just get your rare back or make the item no variance in stats.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.