Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why not email people about the server merge?

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I played Rift for about a month before they went F2P. It was a nice game, but I just couldn't get into it. So I went back to LOTRO.

But then the recent expansion for LOTRO kinda altered the game in a huge way, so I decided to give Rift another try. Only to be greeted with a message about the shard I last played currently being locked.

So I thought maybe the shard was busy or down. So I keep trying and keep getting the same message.

Then I do more digging and find out it's because the shard I played on no longer exists, it's been merged with another one. D'oh. So why couldn't they send an email about this? This was the first I had heard of it, and apparently my email address is just fine, when I found my characters I was sent an email with a code that I had to enter to unlock my inventory.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

the shard I played on no longer exists, it's been merged with another one. D'oh. So why couldn't they send an email about this? This was the first I had heard of it, and apparently my email address is just fine, when I found my characters I was sent an email with a code that I had to enter to unlock my inventory.

its disorientating

but i've never been emailed by any mmo about my server being renamed (due to server merge)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

It got pretty much coverage 2 months ago on the mmo sites ( for example http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5992240/RIFT-server-merge-shard-unification.html from Nadia :) ) but yep, no mail from Trion.

Dunno if it's common or not, I never got mails from them besides sub period started / finished. But I usually opt out from every checkbox I can on my accounts...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Most likely because you're not a customer, because F2P gamers really don't have customers.  They have to cut costs as much as possible, especially from non-customers, so services tend to go first, not only in F2P but P2P as well.

Sure, they could have sent an email, but that costs money, and is unnecessary effort since it really serves no benefit to anyone.

You figured it out when you returned, they know most everyone else who returns will as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    The servers that opened to handle the initial overload of steam F2P loggers closed is what basically happened, as everyone expected, only they did it in time for them to not loose those few on those servers that actually stuck around (you know, being on a dead server isnt exactly motivational). It was a good move overall and the merge actually WASN'T manual, as in everything just automatically happened, players and guilds got moved into other servers. If say your last log was on character X on server X, and said server merged into Server Y, all you have to do is log into the game and you can actually see you selection as being "Server x > merged into Server Y" Your char will be already selected and you just have to press play. Doesn't get much smoother than that. No tickets no nothing, not sure one is even required to have an IQ higher than that of a rat to figure this out and its not like it ruined communities by forcing them to choose, splitting everyone up