Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Head count - Free or Sub game

Comments

• silverreignsilverreign Whitehouse, TXPosts: 401Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    I like the B2P model best. Though I think F2P is good as well.I have said it before and I will say it again. People will swear up and down how P2P has better quality games. I don't see it. I have played probably close to 50 or so MMOs .. and the payment model didn't make any difference in quality at all from what I have seen.Now don't get me wrong, I have played some pretty crappy F2P games, but that is more likely to happen because there are more of them.However, I feel it is much worse to play a P2P game and it turning out to being crappy, because you pay a whole lot more. It's a lot more risky.I also love how people will tell others how cheap $15 a month is. Then they will tell people to get jobs. How much you want to bet the people who say that crap .. don't work. Or they are thinking about it entirely differently then I am.$15 a month isn't a lot ... in general. However we are talking about a single game. It's a heck of a lot for a single game to me. I can buy many games that will give me the same entertainment value for far far less.Some people will compare it to movies, cable and other crap. Why not compare it to other games? Oh .. ya .. cause other games are CHEAPER and your argument would fall apart if you did that lol.Play Skyrim for 2 years. $60Play a P2P MMO for 2 years. $405Is it me or does one seem a tad bit more expensive then the other. Oh and I know MMO games require servers, maintenance costs, and a pretty good net connection. However, why do those fees have to be passed onto the players? If the player is going to be paying those fees, shouldn't we be getting something more in return? Something more then we can get in another game? In plus cash shops work just fine as long as they are done right. It covers those costs. It's a win win for devs and players.Though a fairly small but vocal minority doesn't see it that way.
    skyrim isnt an mmo. ur comparing 2 different kinds of games. sure they r both games but different in entertainment. like watching a movie at home vs the theater.

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

Sub, only if the game is worth my money. If the game isnt worth my sub I highly doubt I would play it F2P because if it sucked before going F2P, its not going to change just because the pay model was changed lol. 

Sub has greater benefits for me, but we are all different and i respect the F2P crowd, just my personal preference.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 729Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by silverreign

I like the B2P model best. Though I think F2P is good as well.

I have said it before and I will say it again. People will swear up and down how P2P has better quality games. I don't see it. I have played probably close to 50 or so MMOs .. and the payment model didn't make any difference in quality at all from what I have seen.

Now don't get me wrong, I have played some pretty crappy F2P games, but that is more likely to happen because there are more of them.

However, I feel it is much worse to play a P2P game and it turning out to being crappy, because you pay a whole lot more. It's a lot more risky.

I also love how people will tell others how cheap $15 a month is. Then they will tell people to get jobs. How much you want to bet the people who say that crap .. don't work. Or they are thinking about it entirely differently then I am.

$15 a month isn't a lot ... in general. However we are talking about a single game. It's a heck of a lot for a single game to me. I can buy many games that will give me the same entertainment value for far far less.

Some people will compare it to movies, cable and other crap. Why not compare it to other games? Oh .. ya .. cause other games are CHEAPER and your argument would fall apart if you did that lol.

Play Skyrim for 2 years. $60

Play a P2P MMO for 2 years. $405

Is it me or does one seem a tad bit more expensive then the other.

Oh and I know MMO games require servers, maintenance costs, and a pretty good net connection. However, why do those fees have to be passed onto the players? If the player is going to be paying those fees, shouldn't we be getting something more in return? Something more then we can get in another game?

In plus cash shops work just fine as long as they are done right. It covers those costs. It's a win win for devs and players.

Though a fairly small but vocal minority doesn't see it that way.

skyrim isnt an mmo. ur comparing 2 different kinds of games. sure they r both games but different in entertainment. like watching a movie at home vs the theater.

You still get the same exact kind of entertainment from both of them. Comparing games to games is a heck of a lot better then comparing to cable, movies, and other crap that people seem to try and compare it too.

As for your whole home movie to theater analogy  ... it doesn't work because MMO games are not THAT different. Again you still get the same type of entertainment. One just happens to require servers and you play with other people.

But even still if we compare it to only other MMO games .. then P2P is still the most expensive out of all them .. so it really doesn't matter.

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon
    Subscription.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• rochristrochrist Harvard, MAPosts: 106Member Common
    False binary choice. A) Pure sub games are almost entirely extinct at this point, and B) there are many models beyond just straight sub vs. f2p.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

You still get the same exact kind of entertainment from both of them. Comparing games to games is a heck of a lot better then comparing to cable, movies, and other crap that people seem to try and compare it too.

Yeh .. games are games. Let's throw in D3, LoL, Dark Souls, and Bioshock in the discussions.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Mitchell, ONPosts: 132Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon
    Originally posted by tom_gore

What do you mean by "RL pull"?

Personally, nothing makes me feel a "pull" more than a subscription. I feel that if I don't play as much as possible, I'll be wasting money, and that feeling is not a good one. Also, trying a sub game after a pause often requires paying one month sub, even if you only try it for an hour and see that nothing's really changed.

Really? The average sub for most MMOs is around 15$/month. Goin to movies, renting movies, going out in any way shape or form for any entertainment is going to cost you way more than 15$/month. Your cable,internet, satillite, buying a new single player game is all going to cost more than 15$/month also. So really a MMO with sub is probibly about the cheapest form of entertainment around in this day n age.

Oh ... ya? Funny, cause last I checked I can play other games for far cheaper .. kinda funny how that works ... ya?

We are not talking about Cable, Internet, or Satellite. They are not even good comparisons to any degree besides they share being entertainment in common. But all forms of entertainment cost different prices and do not directly reflect the other.

As for your single player game? Correct me if I am wrong, but P2P games cost the same amount for a single player game + the $15 a month. So unless you don't know math ... you can't possibly say it cost more to play a new single player game. Also ... ever heard of Steam?

I have heard of Steam. I have spent more money on there with single player games than I ever have with a MMO I subbed to and was happy with. It is rare people will buy only ONE single player game and enjoy it for years. I don't know of any gamer that would settle for one single player game for years. If everyone did that...then gaming would be dead a long time ago.

Even if you go back and have to resub...if you only play an hour, you probibly won't notice any differences in that length of time. So most people will log on several times during that month they paid for just to see if it really is worth resubbing or not.

I don't understand all these 'OMG, no way am I paying a sub for this game no matter how great it is.' type. If you can't handle a small sub charge every month because it costs too much, then you should either

a)find a better job

For the majority of people, it has nothing to do with not having a job. It has to do with worth. Comparing P2P MMO video games to other video games and you find P2P will always be more expensive.

Again .. comparing games to games, not cable, not some other form of entertainment that has nothing to do with video games.

Maybe not have anything to do wtih a job. But sure are cryin about it as if it were a life changing cost. And you again are not reading my post in its context. Only what you want to see. I have been comparing MMORPG subs to other forms of entertainment...not just other games.

b) find a new hobby (tho I don't know of many hobbies that will cost you less than 15$/month)

Again all about worth .. not affordability. Why play 300 hours with in 2 years of a mmo for over $200 when I can play a game like Skyrim for the same amount of time and entertainment for $60?

If we go even further you can even find the same enjoyment out of a F2P games and play entirely free for 2 years. Though most people who find a game that enjoyable to play it 2 years are willing to invest a little in the cash shop now and then. However, the point is, you are comparing oranges to apples and it simply just doesn't work that way.

I play Skyrim...tho to say I would be able to play it for two years without looking at another game of any kind is silly. Let's face it, how many gamers do you know that would settle for one single player game for the next two years?

And if you go further. You can play the F2P games for two years without spending a penny. But you will be way behind those who put money into the game, or pay some kinda sub fee to get a bit further ahead faster. So your point is null. Putting money into the F2P is going to get you further. The more you put in, the better.

c) or simply don't subscribe and stop complaining every MMO should be B2W or F2P. Plenty of those kinda games being made all the time.

I don't think anyone is really complaining. We are in a forum discussing a topic. Also .. the same can be said for both sides of the coin, so really this argument goes for you too.

Also .. not subscribing actually hurts you in the long run because if the game doesn't have enough of these subs .. it will go F2P. Not a very good idea to recommend others to not sub to a game you think you will like. It's sort of counter intuitive.

Perhaps here nobody is complaining. But take a look at several of the upcomming P2P and you'll see there is always somebody complaining about the game going P2P and how it needs to be free.

I'll take a sub model any day over a f2p. Even if I only have a few hours a week to play it...will still be cheap entertainment.

When you compare it to other games ... you are technically wrong. Very wrong. P2P MMORPGs are the most expensive games that exist in the industry currently.

So really I am comparing MMORPGs to entertainment in general. So sure you could say F2P is cheaper, and perhaps it can be. But I am saying, compared to many forms of entertainment...MMORPGs are fairly cheap. Yes that does compare to any other form of entertainment. I could spend hours in a good MMORPG for  15bucks a month. And be well entertained. What other forms of entertainment will offer that for much less?

Though I suppose you could argue F2P is .. but the consumers actually have a choice in the matter. F2P games are not out right expensive if you don't want them to be.

Logic! :3  Makes sense doesn't it.

More than one way to make logic work.

Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

I have heard of Steam. I have spent more money on there with single player games than I ever have with a MMO I subbed to and was happy with. It is rare people will buy only ONE single player game and enjoy it for years. I don't know of any gamer that would settle for one single player game for years. If everyone did that...then gaming would be dead a long time ago.

You can't just say you pay more on single player than MMO P2P games by buying more single player games. Of course when you buy MORE of something it will cost more.

I also can turn that around as many gamers don't like to stick to a single MMO either. So exactly what is your point?

Maybe not have anything to do wtih a job. But sure are cryin about it as if it were a life changing cost. And you again are not reading my post in its context. Only what you want to see. I have been comparing MMORPG subs to other forms of entertainment...not just other games.

I am well aware that you have been comparing to other forms of entertainment, but it's still a stupid argument because they have nothing to do with each other. So what if going to the movies is as expensive. What if i told you i don't go to the movies? What if I told you I don'y pay for cable?

The argument simply doesn't work because they are entirely different forms of entertainment.

I play Skyrim...tho to say I would be able to play it for two years without looking at another game of any kind is silly. Let's face it, how many gamers do you know that would settle for one single player game for the next two years?

I never said you shouldn't pick up another game .. for the same reason one may not just stick with one MMO. Again, that argument makes no sense.

And if you go further. You can play the F2P games for two years without spending a penny. But you will be way behind those who put money into the game, or pay some kinda sub fee to get a bit further ahead faster. So your point is null. Putting money into the F2P is going to get you further. The more you put in, the better.

This isn't always the case though. There are some F2P games that only sell Cosmetics. So my point is just fine thank you very much. Nice try though.

Perhaps here nobody is complaining. But take a look at several of the upcomming P2P and you'll see there is always somebody complaining about the game going P2P and how it needs to be free.

So? The way I see it is these games will eventually go F2P anyway. I also have to point out, more people argue the game should have gone B2P. Then P2Pers ignore that and only hear F2P for some odd reason. On top of that, and much worse, many P2Pers will say B2P is the same as F2P. You know .. because that total makes sense. Not really.

So really I am comparing MMORPGs to entertainment in general. So sure you could say F2P is cheaper, and perhaps it can be. But I am saying, compared to many forms of entertainment...MMORPGs are fairly cheap. Yes that does compare to any other form of entertainment. I could spend hours in a good MMORPG for  15bucks a month. And be well entertained. What other forms of entertainment will offer that for much less?

I am not interested in those other forms of entertainment so the argument is rather pointless. I couldn't care less how much movies cost, or how much cable costs and so on and so fourth. Games are games ... I am interested in games.

More than one way to make logic work.

Yes ... and I can always work it in my favor. :P

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yeh .. games are games. Let's throw in D3, LoL, Dark Souls, and Bioshock in the discussions.

Not even sure what you mean or what point you are trying to make.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Superman0X
    My personal favorite is pay by the minute. This is the single most fair way to do a pay to play game.This way, people who want to play 100 hours a week, can do so, and will support the game. Those of us that only have an hour to two a week, can pay for the time we spend.
    MMORPGs started out this way. Players sometimes wracked up monthly bills of hundreds of dollars with this system. I do not wish to "watch the clock" as I am playing, though.I agree that players that do not have the time to play should not pay as much. Would a compromise work? Maybe the option to pay the minute (or hour or week) or a flat rate monthly fee?
    Compromises do work. Asian markets, centered around internet cafes use hourly payment cycles. But an hour will cost more than 2 cents like it does now, so if you play a lot you'll end up paying much more.
    I was thinking of a choice of payment, not everyone using the same method. Having an option in payment method is what I was getting at for the compromise. If a player is paying more by the hour, switch to monthly subscription. If a player is not playing enough to warrant a monthly sub, switch to hourly rates. Did that make sense?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    "Exactly. An MMORPG should be deep enough to be the only game you really need (or have the time to) play." -  JacxDo you hold other forms of entertainment to the same standard? If not, why not? "The "F2P" crowd are game hoppers generally who play a game for a few weeks and jump. The "sub" crowd is generally the crowd that sticks to one game." - JacxCan you link to the data you are basing that on?
    Does using nariusseldon's testimony count? :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,666Member Uncommon

"Exactly. An MMORPG should be deep enough to be the only game you really need (or have the time to) play." -  Jacx

Do you hold other forms of entertainment to the same standard? If not, why not?

"The "F2P" crowd are game hoppers generally who play a game for a few weeks and jump. The "sub" crowd is generally the crowd that sticks to one game." - Jacx

Can you link to the data you are basing that on?

You're driving me to drink, sir. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

@all those who are argueing for P2P, I think every single argument anyone has ever made has already been disputed 100s of times with all these threads that pop up. You all just like to ignore it all and use the same excuses over and over again even after we explain it.
    There will always be a "dispute" on this topic. Preferences are a great thing, don't you think?

"Because I said so." does not an argument make. Neither does "It is the way *I* prefer." make it right. Using anecdotal examples is bad, for both sides of the coin.

Can you "prove" that F2P is better (a subjective term) than P2P?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

@all those who are argueing for P2P, 

I think every single argument anyone has ever made has already been disputed 100s of times with all these threads that pop up. You all just like to ignore it all and use the same excuses over and over again even after we explain it.

There will always be a "dispute" on this topic. Preferences are a great thing, don't you think?

"Because I said so." does not an argument make. Neither does "It is the way *I* prefer." make it right. Using anecdotal examples is bad, for both sides of the coin.

I can prove it is better for me. I can probably prove that P2P is better for someone else. It's all a matter of opinion. However, that is exactly the reason I think it's rather stupid to argue for either. If someone complains they want a P2P game as a F2P, let them complain. There is no need to start arguing over which is better. No one will win and all arguments can easily be disputed.

I just don't see the point.

Edit: Keep in mind I certainly like F2P and B2P better, however, that is my opinion. I can't prove it's better to someone who doesn't think it is.

It just doesn't work that way.

I can prove it's better from a business stand point though. I can also prove that it's more convenient at times. However, that is pretty much all I an prove lol.

P2P ... I feel is better in the sense it has a smaller community, which I like. I like when you don't have people who come and go quickly all the time. Trust me .. I like some aspects of P2P as well. I just don't think it's worth the price.

I think every single argument anyone has ever made has already been disputed 100s of times with all these threads that pop up. You all just like to ignore it all and use the same excuses over and over again even after we explain it.

There will always be a "dispute" on this topic. Preferences are a great thing, don't you think?"Because I said so." does not an argument make. Neither does "It is the way *I* prefer." make it right. Using anecdotal examples is bad, for both sides of the coin.Can you "prove" that F2P is better (a subjective term) than P2P?
    I can prove it is better for me. I can probably prove that P2P is better for someone else. It's all a matter of opinion. However, that is exactly the reason I think it's rather stupid to argue for either. If someone complains they want a P2P game as a F2P, let them complain. There is no need to start arguing over which is better. No one will win and all arguments can easily be disputed.I just don't see the point.Edit: Keep in mind I certainly like F2P and B2P better, however, that is my opinion. I can't prove it's better to someone who doesn't think it is.It just doesn't work that way.I can prove it's better from a business stand point though. I can also prove that it's more convenient at times. However, that is pretty much all I an prove lol.P2P ... I feel is better in the sense it has a smaller community, which I like. I like when you don't have people who come and go quickly all the time. Trust me .. I like some aspects of P2P as well. I just don't think it's worth the price.
    The underlined I certainly agree with. But it is a "hot topic" that players enjoy bandying about.

The point was that you came across (and I apologize if I misread your intentions) as saying "This is settled."

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

I can prove it is better for me. I can probably prove that P2P is better for someone else. It's all a matter of opinion. However, that is exactly the reason I think it's rather stupid to argue for either. If someone complains they want a P2P game as a F2P, let them complain. There is no need to start arguing over which is better. No one will win and all arguments can easily be disputed.

I just don't see the point.

Edit: Keep in mind I certainly like F2P and B2P better, however, that is my opinion. I can't prove it's better to someone who doesn't think it is.

It just doesn't work that way.

I can prove it's better from a business stand point though. I can also prove that it's more convenient at times. However, that is pretty much all I an prove lol.

P2P ... I feel is better in the sense it has a smaller community, which I like. I like when you don't have people who come and go quickly all the time. Trust me .. I like some aspects of P2P as well. I just don't think it's worth the price.

The underlined I certainly agree with. But it is a "hot topic" that players enjoy bandying about.

The point was that you came across (and I apologize if I misread your intentions) as saying "This is settled."

Oh! lol no no ... I was only mentioning certain arguments on the over all argument have already been thrown around and disputed 100s of times.

Each thread on this topic looks nearly identical.

I am bad at typing out my thoughts.

• tinuelletinuelle bergenPosts: 287Member Uncommon

I prefer sub, but fact is that free/premium games has a far greater revenue potential.

Meaning that the free model will dominate market in the future.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Jacksonville, FLPosts: 984Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tinuelle

I prefer sub, but fact is that free/premium games has a far greater revenue potential.

I see what you mean by having the "potential" for better revenue; does that mean that these F2O games are getting that revenue by and large?  Serious question there - I'm not sure. 

The only games I've ever played and enjoyed for more than a couple of months were P2Pgames - WoW and DarkFall.  Obviously, this is anecdotal, but I think that's what the intention of this thread is - to simply find out what each player prefers in a payment model.

I prefer buying the game, then paying a $15ish sub to play a game for 28-31 days at a time.

Oh! lol no no ... I was only mentioning certain arguments on the over all argument have already been thrown around and disputed 100s of times.Each thread on this topic looks nearly identical.I am bad at typing out my thoughts.
    oops! Sorry about that :)

Yes, each thread like this one does look very similar. New people come here, old posters come back from taking a break, things like that happen and the threads get visited again :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Wolcott, NYPosts: 671Member Uncommon

If it has a far greater revenue potential then why are there not more popular and better designed F2P games out there? Name any game worth playing for longer than a few months that is F2P?

When I think of my MMOs played longer than 1 year they were and are all subscription games.... only exception would be GW2 for me. Most of my MMOs played for at least a year are: FFXI, WoW, WAR, LOTRO (I know they went F2P but I subbed in the beginning) and FFXIV ARR.

• WaterlilyWaterlily parisPosts: 2,973Member Uncommon
    unfair poll since the F2P players are loading up their alt bot accounts
  • ozmonoozmono Not tellingPosts: 1,211Member
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

Voted sub but the real answer is depends.

Glad I didn't have to read past the second post to make sure someone had said that. I didn't vote because my answer changes based on what type of game it is and not just the quality of the game.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

"Exactly. An MMORPG should be deep enough to be the only game you really need (or have the time to) play." -  Jacx

Do you hold other forms of entertainment to the same standard? If not, why not?

"The "F2P" crowd are game hoppers generally who play a game for a few weeks and jump. The "sub" crowd is generally the crowd that sticks to one game." - Jacx

Can you link to the data you are basing that on?

Sure .. i am one data point. And for the record, i jump whenever i feel like it. It can be an hour, it can be a month, and no one says i cannot jump *back* to a game i played before.

How many do what i do? I cannot say.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

I am also pretty much fine with B2P. I think GW1 was one of the best buys I have ever made even spending a small amount in the cash shop. GW2 I didnt like at all and never really examined how the Cash $hop worked there but I assume it was similar to GW1.

Unfortunately it wasn't.  The GW2 cash shop is an abomination compared to the fantastic GW1 system. 

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I see what you mean by having the "potential" for better revenue; does that mean that these F2O games are getting that revenue by and large?  Serious question there - I'm not sure. 

The only games I've ever played and enjoyed for more than a couple of months were P2Pgames - WoW and DarkFall.  Obviously, this is anecdotal, but I think that's what the intention of this thread is - to simply find out what each player prefers in a payment model.

I prefer buying the game, then paying a $15ish sub to play a game for 28-31 days at a time.

The greater revenue potential refers to the fact that:

a) There is no barrier to entry, so more people who would not have paid the $60 box price may come in and spend a few dollars instead of nothing.

b) There is no cap to spending.  With subscription games the most you will ever pay each month is the subscription price.  With micro-transaction games, some players can spend hundreds of dollars in a single month (known commonly as 'whales').

Well implemented cash shops have the potential to make much more money than a subscription ever could. All you have to do is attract the whales.