Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: what world do you want to play in?

Simply the above, poll below:-

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Why two Sci-fi options? Star Wars and Trek are both classed as Space Operas.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by immodium

They aren't really space opera, they are very limited in their scope.  

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Sci-Fi or a Warhammer 40,000 universe type setting.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

what would low fantasy be?

and tough choise. im pretty much into medieval/fantasy kind of era. but a good modern zombie mmo. we dont have one of those yet

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by xeniar

and tough choise. im pretty much into medieval/fantasy kind of era. but a good modern zombie mmo. we dont have one of those yet

Low fantasy is basically like medieval UK but with very sparse magic thrown in.  (as opposed to high fantasy which is just shit outside Tolkein) 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

everything but high fantasy

get sick when I see it

I can only stand brutal violent low fantasy like Age of Conan (fatalities FTW)

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I would say high fantasy, but I prefer something more specific.  I really like the forgotten realms and the old school D&D 2nd edition classes.  The closest thing to forgotten realms is probably the Lord of the Rings, but it doesn't have quite as many fun classes/things.  The Lord of the Rings is a lot more serious in tone.  It's part of why I didn't enjoy the MMO that much.  Then there's high fantasy games like Dragon Age.  If you compare it to a game like Baldur's Gate 2/Ice Wind Dale it's very different.  There are subtle changes in class/race restrictions, how races behave/act, and how the people act.  The art style can also have a large impact.  I'm not a huge fan of Dragon Age's artwork and ideas of high fantasy.  Though I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi I've always like the Mass Effect/Knights of the Old Republic games.  There is something about the worlds and characters that are really enjoyable.  I've played a number of different high fantasy and other genre MMOs over the years, but the only ones I really liked were Ultima Online, Everquest, and WoW.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by immodium

They aren't really space opera, they are very limited in their scope.  

No offence meant dude, but if you look up the definition of space opera, you will quite literally find "Star Wars" in there.    So yeah, it's kinda redundant. 

Personally my vote would be for cyberpunk/sci-fi type of deal like Altered Carbon or Blade Runner.    Less aliens more humanity and sci-fi. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

voted low fantasy i geus. fantasy in general is my preference.

still we need a good zombie apocolypse mmo we dont have one yet.

and if they could fix / tweek  APB and most importantly ban all those cheating sons of ......... then the urban gta thing is covered asswell

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Anything but Sci-Fi

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

None of those options

I want a Cyber Punk world, Blade Runner style

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It is a false dilemma.

Why do I have to choose one? I don't play just one game. I like many of them.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    High fantasy, it seems to be the only genre without guns or lasers.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Sorry, Star Wars is space opera.  Star Trek is science fantasy.  I want hard science fiction.  If I never see another elf waving a wand again, it'll be too soon.  I detest high fantasy with a passion.  Fuck magic.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KamikazeKiteKamikazeKite Member Posts: 38

Voted low fantasy. id love a game with a medieval setting. something around 500ad would be awesome.

Edit : Oh and based in the Europe region including Scandinavia!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by greenreen

I chose steam punk because I haven't seen it done much. It's fantasy to me so it could have been either. In my own game I'm coding in simple machinery mechanics. That isn't the story of the game though. The only thing I have for story other than NPC personalities is that there is a problem with animal breeding so they are in scarce supply and this is part of why you have to hunt instead of being able to run across groups of creatures sitting around. I like the muted colors with the metals being shiny in places as contrast. I've been thinking about making parts of the game black and white to further emphasize the metal portions. Silver and Copper are just pretty to me. I think I got the idea from cars, when you look around they are mostly some version of silver color. It's like a default color palette all around us. I also noted the silver car trend when I went on G Street View looking around European streets. Somehow the silver part translates to black and white to me.

Only Steam Punk MMO out there now is City of Steam.  It's not picking up clients because of lack of advertising and an almost Vindictus type play style.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

HIgh fantasy but preferably non-Earth and non-Tolkienesque.  Also, I would like tech kept out of it.  No munchkins flying helicopters, or that sort of thing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • NinjaGazNinjaGaz Member UncommonPosts: 53

I would like a fantasy setting, which isn't populated by Elves, Dwarves and Goblins... and spiders, boars and bears!

Sure, it is much harder to build a world where every mob needed to be designed, but it would go a large step of the way in removing the feeling that "I've already been here in 20 other games".

They should look into the animal kingdom and look at the many ways that animals adapt, fight, mate, behave, etc and use that as their starting point. It would inspire hundreds of new creatures - all with different personalities and behaviors.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I personally never want to play a fantasy MMO filled with elves, dwarves and the like ever again. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Low fantasy that's heavy on realism.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by xeniar

Low fantasy is basically like medieval UK but with very sparse magic thrown in.  (as opposed to high fantasy which is just shit outside Tolkein) 

What?  Ugh no it's not.  Low fantasy doesn't mean low magic, and it has nothing to do with the setting.  Low fantasy means non-epic, non-war-story.  Low fantasy is often comical or romantic.  An anime like Ranma 1/2 is low fantasy.  A tv show like Adventure Time is low fantasy.  A movie like Monsters Inc. is low fantasy.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

High Fantasy here, I like a lot of space shows, but not big on playing space mmos. 

I did like TSW, but high fantasy is still #1 for me.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    High Fantasy! Hate Sci-Fi...
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Cyberpunk would be cool.