Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incoming 200 foot penis.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Nadia

SOE already stated they will have a report system (when they announced Landmark)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

players can build whatever they want, from sci-fi to horror to modern day themes. However, be mindful that anything inappropriate can and will be reported and removed.

I hope they give first time offenders   3 day bans

and permanent bans if they keep stroking their penis

Couple of challenges with this approach.  First, its a free to play game, so people can just create a dozen new accounts and break the rules endlessly.  It will be hard to chase after them.

Perhaps another idea would be to give players the tools to basically put offending plots on "ignore", making the structure invisible to only them (restoring it to its natural state)  if they are offended by the structure in any way.

Speaking of which, many structures can look phallic-like without actually being a penis, so who will draw the line between humor and bad taste? 

Becomes a big pain as people feel they've been moderated unfairly, so you have to provide a venue for appeals, even more headache, and more importantly extra cost which again, is something most F2P titles actively try to avoid.

Almost think that having an anything goes server might be a good approach.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I am not terribly concerned about penis' and whatnot in the game.  I am more concerned with players using the building tools to grief other players.  I remember in old school UO players laying walls of barrels that you could not pass that if you tried to would eventually funnel you into a kill zone.  I worry about this being implemented on a massive scale by organized groups.  I wonder if maybe we could form a group of people here who oppose the penis towers by building vagina houses?

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

and butt-hole server.

That's a pretty good band.  I particularly liked Independent Worm Saloon.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Warjin

Incoming 200 foot penis, you know it's coming, trolls will be trolls, I can see it now, coming over the horizon I see this giant erect cock off a mountain face, my question is what's SOE going to do to prevent this or is it OK because it's landmark?

I don't think spreading the word about that possibility on forums does anything good to your cause... I never even thought about making anything immature like that, but after reading some posts in this thread I find it pretty hilarious. The whole drama alone and a bunch of old males fearing dicks makes me want to just put a hard one up majestically on top of the mountain... I think there are even more immature people like me out here that are just waiting for more ideas from poor, fragile little adults like you.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    This sounds like its gonna be a rock hard problem.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

Incoming 200 foot penis, you know it's coming, trolls will be trolls, I can see it now, coming over the horizon I see this giant erect cock off a mountain face, my question is what's SOE going to do to prevent this or is it OK because it's landmark?

I don't think spreading the word about that possibility on forums does anything good to your cause... I never even thought about making anything immature like that, but after reading some posts in this thread I find it pretty hilarious. The whole drama alone and a bunch of old males fearing dicks makes me want to just put a hard one up majestically on top of the mountain... I think there are even more immature people like me out here that are just waiting for more ideas from poor, fragile little adults like you.

Don't worry, after playing Xyson, I can assure the more creative minds have no problem figuring out all sorts of interesting possibilities to annoy others with.

Which I've never really understood why people want to go out of their way to annoy others....seems terribly juvenile, but that's just me I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

It all comes down to how fast it gets "caught" and reported by a user, how much time it takes to gether the necessary materials to build it and ultimately how long it takes for SOE to remove it once it has been reported.

Let's say it takes 10 minutes to gather enough dirt and stone(tier 1 materials) to build a penis at a sufficient size. It takes another 10 minutes to properly build it and actually shape it as a penis. It also takes, let's say, 5 minutes to create a new account with a new e-mail attached to it.

25 minutes to build a penis? Allright, fair enough.

If it takes SOE a day for them to get to it and remove it; time spent worth it? Yes, the penis was "alive" for almost 24 hours. See where I'm getting at here,  it all depends on how much manpower SOE has and what kind of reporting system they're going to be using. If it gets looked at within minutes of reporting; great. That would make the effort spent making a penis not worth it as much. Although I'm not sure that's very likely...

We'll see though. I myself won't be offended but I'll gladly report it and move along.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    It's just a weird space rocket, I swear
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Maybe they could add monsters that attack and destroy anything that looks too much like a penis.

Then players could fight those monsters to defend their e-peens.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Sorry, but what was the problem again? I still don't see it. Okay let's refreash what EQN Landmark is about: You build what you want to build. okay, so if you want to build a penis shouldn't that be okay? I mean it's not like you have to build right beside it. (I sure would ; *) But seriously though, it's landmark aka. you build what you want, not letting your son play the game because of this reason is just silly (Sorry) but when i was little i didn't think about it at all, not even all the movies i saw. So letting your son not play because of this reason is just stupid, he can just build on a specifik server with a theme (Where i belive people would build after themes) So let people build their penises since it's landmark and you are supposed to build WHAT YOU WANT TO!

If this was EQN (Not landmark) i see the problem, but then again players would be able to destroy it as far as i know with their abilities. But you may never know.

But it's not more of a problem then what you make it up to be, it's like telling some people to not wear purple because it "breaks" your immersion, but you're fine with them building mechs, tanks etc. in a fantasy universe. It's landmark, people build what they want to, and you can just pack your plot and move it away if you don't like what people around you are building.  

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Is it just me, or do most of these comments sound cocky.

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Well since this is not Sony's preferred choice of information exchange asking your question here won't get you the results you seem to think it will.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I may have misunderstood but i thought they said that Landmark stuff would have to be submitted to them before it would be in live game ..
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    So it'll be just like walking into any public restroom? Do your kids not use public restrooms? They somehow avoid passing bodily fluids during school hours? Which brings me to my next point. Do you not remember being 12+? You don't remember that one guy who could not stop drawing penises? Some of you guys get worked up over absolutely nothing. News flash, your son has a penis. Your daughter and her friends have seen one or two in a game of show and tell, at the very least. Or did you forget about that, too? Yes, there will be some juvenile things in game. But, get a grip guys, our entire lives from 12-30 was spent doing juvenile things. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    So it'll be just like walking into any public restroom? Do your kids not use public restrooms? They somehow avoid passing bodily fluids during school hours? Which brings me to my next point. Do you not remember being 12+? You don't remember that one guy who could not stop drawing penises? Some of you guys get worked up over absolutely nothing. News flash, your son has a penis. Your daughter and her friends have seen one or two in a game of show and tell, at the very least. Or did you forget about that, too? Yes, there will be some juvenile things in game. But, get a grip guys, our entire lives from 12-30 was spent doing juvenile things. 

hmm lmfao when i was 12 up i didnt have any friends constantly drawing penises... wouldnt have been a friend very long if there was one..

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'll be curious to see how they control player "creativity". I recall in Xyson players using their building, excavating abilities in just this fashion, heck there were entire camps of penises.

Omg, guess my son won't be playing landmark, I know this post sounds funny but I'm being serious this could be a problem if they just let us build what ever  the players want as the video states lol

Now you got me curious... What kind of harm will a digital penis do toy our son... 0_o A penis is just a penis... Now if people were having sex and your child is a minor i assume you could argue that some form of "damage" would be done as your stress levels would perhaps rise as you try to explain what is going on... But beyond that i fail to see how any kind of damage can be done... Heck if violent movies and games have not created a generation of cavepeople i don´t think a digital ding-dong will either.

This have been a good conversation

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Players get to build whatever they want on their plots. If there is any censoring at all it'll be a huge downside for the game. I am going to build a perfect replica of my ass and turn it into an elaborate dungeon for brave explorers myself

Obviously this kind of player content won't be included in the player content portions of EQN though

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by Scorchien

hmm lmfao when i was 12 up i didnt have any friends constantly drawing penises... wouldnt have been a friend very long if there was one..

Didn't say anything about a friend. Do you find yourself inserting words randomly into what you read? lol

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by killahh
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'll be curious to see how they control player "creativity". I recall in Xyson players using their building, excavating abilities in just this fashion, heck there were entire camps of penises.

just off the top of my head,  there will be a clause in the agreement you click on to play that will state that if you create vulgar or sexual, discriminatory things you will be perma banned..

course some people will try, but as forest gump said best: stupid is as stupid does.

Ever see one of those "Things That Look Like" web sites?

Remarkably easy to create them, without trying. Any tower structure can be viewed as a penis, by someone. Or boobs.

Impossible to police, doubt they'll bother to.

• rodrigoqrodrigoq Member Posts: 11

12-30?  I'm pretty sure most men stay pervs till death.  I'll admit it, I'm a perv, wife confirms this by telling me daily.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

This thread is awesome.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I don't see how you think anyone can stop something we've been doing for 1000s of years....

It's something that is at the core of every cognitive creature on this planet or ever will be. Call it an obsession with fertility, obscenity or just plan ol boredom. Your choices are to explain things to your kids now or sit back and let them get blindsided as soon as they are school age. If you're up for an interesting read you can try: Why Do People Love To Draw Dicks in Games? for a little perspective on the matter.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Xthos

They said they would have people policing it, users can report it, and think they acted like they would have some kind of other system to maybe catch it....But in f2p, you cannot stop people from trolling.  You can't stop them in p2p, but at least they would lose the game purchase amount, and most people do not dismiss $30-60 being lost to make a penis.

If your kid cannot survive the trauma of a penis statue, then you better take the internet/phones away from them.  Not being a smart ass, but that is just the reality of computers today.

You don't need Landmark to bring the offensive to you.

When you make an account for Everquest Next Landmark, you cannot build right away. You have to gather resources just to build a claim flag, then go claim the land, then gather more resources to build your giant penis statue. When that person ends up getting banned, he cannot recreate another giant penis statue right away, there will be a time period before he has the claim flag and resources to rebuild his giant penis statue.

And god forbid a little boy knows what a penis looks like....

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

Is it just me, or do most of these comments sound cocky.

They just want to give you a hard time.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

What about all the countries where penis is worshiped and they put sculptures all over towns and make festivals? You want to restrict them from expressing their culture in game? Man, you are all so intolerant... :) Freedom only for you, huh? :P