Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

No chat bubbles

Comments

• TatercakeTatercake Auburn, WAPosts: 279Member
    i  to enjoy having a chat bubble in say chat  helps communicating to people i asked manytimes for them to add this in the betta
  • ComafComaf Chicago, ILPosts: 1,154Member Common
    Originally posted by cura

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/07/29/ask-us-anything-roleplaying

Another game that says FU to roleplayers. Oh well

The only games that say FU to roleplayers are the ones that force you to irrationally create lore to explain the nonsense away.  Some examples include:

Lord of the Rings Online:

Why Bob the Dwarf was a Spider in the Ettinmoors 5 minutes ago but is once more Bob the Dwarf

Age of Conan:

1. Why a Necromancer can run through Cimmeria with all pets out...even though anyone who has read any of the 12 books from the Conan world knows that Cimmerians would have torn the guy apart in seconds (they even get nervous around their own shaman).

2. Why priests of Mitra can group with Tempest's of Set or Heralds of Xotli and kill other priests of Mitra...

WoW:

/dance revealing that male Orcs like MC Hammer and Male Night Elves prefer Michael Jackson.

Rift:

The two factions totally despise one another, yet the Mercenary option is in full throttle for battleground E-Sports

Guild Wars 2

At least half the races would NEVER pvp each other. 

Dark Age of Camelot:

Why in God's name did the developers ever think it would make sense to allow a realm timer (the time it takes to log off one faction and go log in on another) to be at 6 minutes?  In a game where realm vs realm vs realm lore set the standard...so you can RP the fact that 30 Albs logged and 30 Hibs suddenly logged in in the same pvp zone...just nonsense.

The list goes on and on...

So yeah, I can't wait for TESO bubbles or not (lol)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

It should be really easy to implement, and so there is absolutely no reason not to have this as an toggle on/off option..

As for some people it really adds a lot to the game, and those are not only roleplayers

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• tom_goretom_gore TamperePosts: 1,796Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Comaf

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/07/29/ask-us-anything-roleplaying

Another game that says FU to roleplayers. Oh well

The only games that say FU to roleplayers are the ones that force you to irrationally create lore to explain the nonsense away.  Some examples include:

Lord of the Rings Online:

Why Bob the Dwarf was a Spider in the Ettinmoors 5 minutes ago but is once more Bob the Dwarf

Age of Conan:

1. Why a Necromancer can run through Cimmeria with all pets out...even though anyone who has read any of the 12 books from the Conan world knows that Cimmerians would have torn the guy apart in seconds (they even get nervous around their own shaman).

2. Why priests of Mitra can group with Tempest's of Set or Heralds of Xotli and kill other priests of Mitra...

WoW:

/dance revealing that male Orcs like MC Hammer and Male Night Elves prefer Michael Jackson.

Rift:

The two factions totally despise one another, yet the Mercenary option is in full throttle for battleground E-Sports

Guild Wars 2

At least half the races would NEVER pvp each other. 

Dark Age of Camelot:

Why in God's name did the developers ever think it would make sense to allow a realm timer (the time it takes to log off one faction and go log in on another) to be at 6 minutes?  In a game where realm vs realm vs realm lore set the standard...so you can RP the fact that 30 Albs logged and 30 Hibs suddenly logged in in the same pvp zone...just nonsense.

The list goes on and on...

So yeah, I can't wait for TESO bubbles or not (lol)

You are missing the point, but I guess in your case its deliberate.

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Delaware, OHPosts: 257Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ozmono

I want integrated and localized voice chat for a local channel but I want to be able to switch channels to groups of players like a guild and as easily as I would do in a text based chatting system.

For other games I might have a different preference or if people wouldn't use ts and vent to cheat than I may have different preferences but for this game and others like it, this is my preference.

I prefer in-game localized voice chat like EQ2, but for now, we will have to settle for Mumble, Vent, TS, or the like.

Wouldn't using voice be better for roleplaying? I am not a roleplayer myself, so forgive my ignorance.

If I was to roleplay, it would mostly be with a set group of people instead of random strangers. So, we would simply use either an available guild voice system or a public voice server. To me, this seems far superior for roleplaying than chat bubbles.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• I will refuse to buy the game till they add them, SWTOR left them out and it made the game a social flop, not being able to see what someone says is the most annoying thing ever, 10 people stood together and one speaks, you are constantly looking at game and chat just to match people to their text and its f annoying...

also it makes the game feel dead, seeing what people are saying when you walk around a town makes it feel like a world, not a mute world with a chat box of spam from a global channel.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Chattaway

I will refuse to buy the game till they add them, SWTOR left them out and it made the game a social flop, not being able to see what someone says is the most annoying thing ever, 10 people stood together and one speaks, you are constantly looking at game and chat just to match people to their text and its f annoying...

also it makes the game feel dead, seeing what people are saying when you walk around a town makes it feel like a world, not a mute world with a chat box of spam from a global channel.

If i would not buy games when features are missing that i want, i would never ever play a game again..

you can not expect games to be exactly to your wishes...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ReverielleReverielle AustraliPosts: 66Member Uncommon

Role-playing is about so much more than just reading text in the chat-window in the corner of your screen. It's pretty disappointing that the ESO development apparently don't understand this. 

For example; all the animated emotes in the world are simply a waste of time and development resources if people are going to have to have their eyes glued to the chat window. Quite a convoluted approach to role-play really. Makes one think they haven't really thought things through, or made the effort to understand how things actually work. 

• KinadoKinado lisbonPosts: 198Member

I will refuse to buy the game till they add them, SWTOR left them out and it made the game a social flop, not being able to see what someone says is the most annoying thing ever, 10 people stood together and one speaks, you are constantly looking at game and chat just to match people to their text and its f annoying...

This is true, someone might be by your side talking to you but you don't even notice it in SWTOR unless you read the chat box that is filled with other text as well.

Unless they do some kind of animation for when people use /say , it's very annoying not realizing someone is trying to reach you.

Chat bubbles in a MMO of this kind is a no-brainer. You gotta have them! Makes things a lot easier.

Considering they want to have over 100 characters onscreen at the same time, chat bubbles would blow up your computer though.

I don't have high hopes for this game but truth is, if its going to be like Skyrim but with pvp, its a good game by its own.

I just don't see this game as a challenge. More like a walk in the park in TESO World with your friends running over every PVE aspect to it. If this game hopes to have longevity it better bring some good pvp with it!

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    deleted
  • MiklosanMiklosan turkuPosts: 176Member

Love or hate chatbubbles but the real deal should ofcourse be.....

MAKE IT OPTIONAL FFS!!!

Can't be that hard to implement chatbubbles and make it optional right? Or is that a difficult thing to do? I'm not a programmer so I don't know...

No chatbubbles = Another minus for me;(

• curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If i would not buy games when features are missing that i want, i would never ever play a game again..

you can not expect games to be exactly to your wishes...

On the other hand, if you support games lacking certain features, youll never get them. I admire Chattaway's attitude.

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,061Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    How does a chat bubble sticking out of someone's head make roleplaying better?

I'm with you on this one

Chat bubbles make interaction more observable and engrossing.  Not having them is like reading a comic book or the weekend funnies with what is being said written in text below each picture frame.  It's just not as good.

If there is an option to turn them off, then what difference would it make to those who hate them?

Not below each frame. But in between text article on other page.

• mari3kmari3k erger, AKPosts: 135Member
    Well you  can make chat bubbles optional, then everyone is haps. Don't see the problem here.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• MyriaMyria Lowell, MAPosts: 570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mari3k
    Well you  can make chat bubbles optional, then everyone is haps. Don't see the problem here.

I'm guessing the 'problem' is one of time and resources.

You can't have every feature possible in a game, not reasonably, and saying "adding what I want should be easy" doesn't make it so. Devs have to prioritize and they, probably rightly, feel that a feature that the vast, vast majority of their potential playerbase will either turn off or leave off is not a high priority.

Besides, the response was "Currently, we don’t have plans for chat bubbles." (emphasis added), not "Fuck you, roleplayers, we're never adding your favorite feature mwahahahahaha!". Those for whom chat bubbles are an important feature can try and make Zenimax aware of how important a feature it is for them, if there's enough noise it might become a priority.

• DeniZgDeniZg ZagrebPosts: 668Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mari3k

The thing is, they would probably give it as an option if they could (same as SWTOR, where it took them 2 years to implement sit command, but couldn't fully do it). 

The question is, who wants to play a game where developers are not able to implement such minor feature as chat bubble?

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Ellicott City, MDPosts: 190Member
    No bubbles. But there are sweet rolls.
  • SWTOR could not add chat bubbles because their game engine was so piss poor that it made the game lagg to death even more than it already does.

Have you seen the ESO pvp video? their trailer is lagging, the game engine looks just as bad as SWTOR, which is why i think the reason they wont add them is because they know their crappy engine wont handle it, originally they were using the same engine as SWTOR and now say its a home built one, but it makes me wonder, is it really? or did they mod the hero engine? either way the fps int he game looks terrible.

As for chat bubbles OC they are needed, i dont know anyone i play with who turns them off, being able to see that guy speaking to you when he is stood in front of you and not siv through 200 lines of chat box text and then spend 10 min looking on screen to put the name to it is why.

In pvp is someone says HEAL ME or FOLLOW ME or whatever tactical need, guess what? no one will see it, who reads chat box in pvp for a start? if im healing and i see a chat bubble say someone needs a heal or help i can see it and do it, without chat bubbles it completely ruins a game, i dont care what anyone says, its IMPORTANT.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Chicago, ILPosts: 455Member Uncommon
    Good.
  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

Originally posted by DeniZg
    The question is, who wants to play a game where developers are not able to implement such minor feature as chat bubble?

people that don't give a shit about chat bubbles? or possibly people that do but are not going to go full on nerd rage because they are not in the game?

• monochrome19monochrome19 Chicago, ILPosts: 455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by DeniZg

people that don't give a shit about chat bubbles? or possibly people that do but are not going to go full on nerd rage because they are not in the game?

+1

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,916Member Uncommon

As for chat bubbles OC they are needed, i dont know anyone i play with who turns them off, being able to see that guy speaking to you when he is stood in front of you and not siv through 200 lines of chat box text and then spend 10 min looking on screen to put the name to it is why.

In pvp is someone says HEAL ME or FOLLOW ME or whatever tactical need, guess what? no one will see it, who reads chat box in pvp for a start? if im healing and i see a chat bubble say someone needs a heal or help i can see it and do it, without chat bubbles it completely ruins a game, i dont care what anyone says, its IMPORTANT.

You do realize just about any PVPer uses VO to communicate right? It's pretty much mandatory for most PVP guilds.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• Originally posted by Distopia

You do realize just about any PVPer uses VO to communicate right? It's pretty much mandatory for most PVP guilds.

And? 99% of the people you meet will not be in your guild and on teamspeak, and as a social and roleplayer chat bubbles are needed, the game feels lifeless without them, its more fun and social with them, so the fact a 2014 mmo doe snot have a basic feature mmos 15 years ago has is bad.

• killahhkillahh calgary, ABPosts: 437Member

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2013/07/29/ask-us-anything-roleplayingAnother game that says FU to roleplayers. Oh well

Chat bubbles are stupid. Very prone to misuse. No chat bubbles does not wreck rpg immersion, and in pvp they are exploited beyond belief.

They increase spam, increase lag, in pvp, you have text spam, making it hard to see anything, no thank you. Any decent healer can heal without chat bubbles. Next excuse......

Gonada Dahung,over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting....Please Lord, let someone make a game that had all the awesomeness of UO, EQ and EVE...

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,916Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Distopia

And? 99% of the people you meet will not be in your guild and on teamspeak, and as a social and roleplayer chat bubbles are needed, the game feels lifeless without them, its more fun and social with them, so the fact a 2014 mmo doe snot have a basic feature mmos 15 years ago has is bad.

Many guilds use multi-guild alliance TS/Vent servers ( at least those I've had experience with).

Can you please name all those western MMO's of the past that used them? SWG is the only old MMO I played that had them, and it certainly isn't the only old MMO I've played. It's not exactly something that's widely used in my experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me