Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Archeage: What you can expect!

fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Is this the MMO savior and/or sandbox we've all been waiting for. Will it give veteran players an oldschool feel with updated graphics?

The answer is a resounding NO. This game is yet another WoW clone with slightly more emphasis on crafting/gathering/building. In ArcheAge you get to max level in 1 week then spend a month maxxing out your gear. Once that's finished there is no endgame to speak of other then PvP. Sound familiar? If you're waiting something different you're waiting for the wrong game.

I couldn't understand for the life of me why the hype died so fast, now I know. ArcheAge is more of the same. You can cashshop modern race car vehicles for mounts. Make Second Life coffee shops with starbucks symbols and much more that completely obliterates any and all immersion.

The combat is actually exactly like WoW minus two or three years; whereas, it's a carbon copy of WoW but less crisp with less abilities, less options and less PvP counters.

In short if you want another attempt at copy pasting WoW this might be the game for you. If you were hoping for anything else, skip this one.

Comments

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

Is this the MMO savior and/or sandbox we've all been waiting for. Will it give veteran players an oldschool feel with updated graphics?

The answer is a resounding NO. This game is yet another WoW clone with slightly more emphasis on crafting/gathering/building. In ArcheAge you get to max level in 1 week then spend a month maxxing out your gear. Once that's finished there is no endgame to speak of other then PvP. Sound familiar? If you're waiting something different you're waiting for the wrong game.

I couldn't understand for the life of me why the hype died so fast, now I know. ArcheAge is more of the same. You can cashshop modern race car vehicles for mounts. Make Second Life coffee shops with starbucks symbols and much more that completely obliterates any and all immersion.

The combat is actually exactly like WoW minus two or three years; whereas, it's a carbon copy of WoW but less crisp with less abilities, less options and less PvP counters.

In short if you want another attempt at copy pasting WoW this might be the game for you. If you were hoping for anything else, skip this one.

That's a shame, this is one of the games I have been interested in.

I don't like the sound of leveling up and then doing the gear progression grind...

Right now playing Darkfall:Unholy Wars, and having a good time. I was hoping it would take a page from Darkfall, with the crafting economy, full loot, etc...

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Not that I doubt you, but how is it you came to this determination?
    Hello even if it's WoW with better gfx, housing, tree planting and gardening I'm in at this point...

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

with slightly more emphasis on crafting/gathering/building

Maybe it's just me, but I take that as a very positive comment.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Originally posted by adderVXI
    Hello even if it's WoW with better gfx, housing, tree planting and gardening I'm in at this point...

Not saying you shouldn't play it. Just saying people that don't want another WoW clone shouldn't play it. Your summary is fairly accurate, though I think the combat is worse it's very similar.

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70

I couldn't understand for the life of me why the hype died so fast 

The hype will pick-up again once we get closer to an actual  US/EU release date. The hype was building quite a bit during the Summer when it was supposed to be released in Aug '13, then they announced the delay.

OP what version are you playing? Don't you think localization should be taken into account?

Even if it's half as good as WoW with some new features at launch, that is still better than most mmo's. It will be worth a look at the very least.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Cmon, you never played AA, nor you read about the mechanics of how the game works.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    well every single MMO ever made is a WoW clone right?
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Its simple really, making a MMO is a big investment and a risk so developers want to take the safe route and work with what is already expected and familiar from successful MMO's ( WoW ) .

The thing is, evolution by copying each other and improving what already exists is great and gives us a sense of familiarity. Even though much is just copied, we can see progress, evolution.

Just like WoW did with Everquest. Some developer is yet to do the same thing with WoW. My guess is Wildstar from Carbine but we ll see.

• SeverinusSeverinus Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by RedCurry

I couldn't understand for the life of me why the hype died so fast 

The hype will pick-up again once we get closer to an actual  US/EU release date. The hype was building quite a bit during the Summer when it was supposed to be released in Aug '13, then they announced the delay.

OP what version are you playing? Don't you think localization should be taken into account?

Even if it's half as good as WoW with some new features at launch, that is still better than most mmo's. It will be worth a look at the very least.

... when it was supposed to be released in Aug '13, then they announced the delay.

Where on earth do you have that from?

To the OP: it seems like you have some experience with playing ArcheAge. You say the game is a socalled "wow-clone" and that the combat is exactly like World of Warcrafts ... I would like to know how you came to these conclusions, what your experience is and what you mean by "wow-clone".

Once upon a time ...

• Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91

Those wannabee-elitist "i play ArcheAge in Korea, i am your god" players...

Thank god Trion Worlds isn´t even interested A BIT in their opinion about the game :P

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Hedeon
    well every single MMO ever made is a WoW clone right?

If they have tiny zones that make up a "world", have a 1 month time to a level cap, and the consist of doing 5 dungeons over and over as the "end," then yes, they are a wow clone.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Not saying you shouldn't play it. Just saying people that don't want another WoW clone shouldn't play it. Your summary is fairly accurate, though I think the combat is worse it's very similar.

You haven't answered his question: how did you come to this observation about ArcheAge, obviously you have played the game, right?

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70
    ... when it was supposed to be released in Aug '13, then they announced the delay.

Where on earth do you have that from?

Not sure why I was thinking Aug, but I do remember much talk and speculation that the game would come out or at least be in beta by Summer '13. Then this article came out and killed any chance of that happening

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/view/news/page/1/read/28142/ArcheAge-Why-This-Might-Take-Awhile.html

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    what to expect... a game that has more features and quality than any other on the market for the foreseeable future( black desert needs to learn proper camera angles)...signed up for landmark but have reservations..i'm all for action combat..Neverwinter sucks cuz it is'nt a world...its an instance with a different skin everytime you load..starting to have that fear with ESO, but i'll take tab target w/e with a world i could immerse in and has all the features i wanted in a MMO..i suppose this is subjective, but the gist of what i know about this game is it is'nt WOW...it is'nt GW2, it is'nt DF:UW...but it has everything i liked about those games :)

It's better then WoW if you like building/exploring/crafting.

It's worse if you like combat/pvp/endgame content.

[mod edit]

I have an account I bought my key they just don't work online [mod edit]

I played the Russian version, max level with little effort and no endgame to speak of. If you look at the past it's rare, borderline non existent , that a company addresses endgame content before launch. That means you can expect to casually max out your level in a week and max out your gear in a month, which the majority of testers have already done including myself.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Leveling sucks in Archeage, but this game is all about clan wars and complex crafting - in those 2 areas it shines. Also sea exploration, battles and content are the best in genre.

I wish they scrapped all those shitty quests altogether and made a more sandbox oriented game that starts right away, not when you reach level cap.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Leveling sucks in Archeage, but this game is all about clan wars and complex crafting - in those 2 areas it shines. Also sea exploration, battles and content are the best in genre.

I wish they scrapped all those shitty quests altogether and made a more sandbox oriented game that starts right away, not when you reach level cap.

They are doing exactly that - XL is removing all early themepark elements.The version we get in US/EU will be sandbox from the start

Where I can read about it? I dont see how they do it, are they just deleting quests and adding something instead?

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

You are 100% wrong.

Endgame content in AA is all about territory control - its Guild vs Guild warfare like Shadowbane.

Since when in WoW do you build a castle with your guild and siege other guild castles?

AA is a guild warfare game, WoW is a dungeon/raid grind game.

I don't see how anyone could say that the game revolves around the sieges when the sieges happen every 3 weeks and the sieges itself aren't really anything special. You die and run back in a never-ending loop for 2 hours and wish it would be over already. There are really few guilds even on the highest populated servers that ever take part on them.

They are doing exactly that - XL is removing all early themepark elements.The version we get in US/EU will be sandbox from the start

It's the other way around... They removed most of the elements that made the game sandbox and keep adding stuff like instanced dungeons for the theme park crowd to hit on larger markets.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

Somehow I doubt this will actually happen since it would be a completely different game.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

[mod edit]
    I have an account I bought my key they just don't work online [mod edit]   I played the Russian version, max level with little effort and no endgame to speak of. If you look at the past it's rare, borderline non existent , that a company addresses endgame content before launch. That means you can expect to casually max out your level in a week and max out your gear in a month, which the majority of testers have already done including myself.
    What patch level is the Russian version?

From my understanding they are not even up to November patch which rebalanced the game drastically.

Patch lvl is very old, it doesn't even have fishing, or music composition, and the lvl cap is lvl 40.

Open beta is when the lvl cap will be raised to lvl 50 and will be testing the siege system and endgame.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Kumapon

[mod edit]
    I have an account I bought my key they just don't work online [mod edit]   I played the Russian version, max level with little effort and no endgame to speak of. If you look at the past it's rare, borderline non existent , that a company addresses endgame content before launch. That means you can expect to casually max out your level in a week and max out your gear in a month, which the majority of testers have already done including myself.
    What patch level is the Russian version?

From my understanding they are not even up to November patch which rebalanced the game drastically.

Patch lvl is very old, it doesn't even have fishing, or music composition, and the lvl cap is lvl 40.

Open beta is when the lvl cap will be raised to lvl 50 and will be testing the siege system and endgame.

Just to add a few stuff:

• Level cap 40, as it was said by Kumapon, this is called the "First Phase", for the second the level cap will be rised to 50 (soon), to test the siege mechanics.
    • There are a lot of stuff still missing from the Russian version, such as: fishing, music composing, race car, submarine, some UCC, sieges, high level instances (the level 50 ones), few mounts and battle pets...
    • But skill balance wise it's the same as the Korean version right now.
    • Other changes: leveling is a bit slower (less XP from quests, i would say about 20%, others telling that the leveling speed is the same as in the Japanese version). Some things cost more to build: tractor, tradeship, houses...
    Originally posted by LlexX
    •  

Omg seriously? They didnt make any balance patches for skill trees in a year? I was hoping at least on Korea its different then in Russian version. I dont think I EVER played MMORPG where classes and abilities were so poorly thought out. 

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by LlexX
    •  

Omg seriously? They didnt make any balance patches for skill trees in a year? I was hoping at least on Korea its different then in Russian version. I dont think I EVER played MMORPG where classes and abilities were so poorly thought out. 

What is the strongest and weakest class in the current version?

Originally posted by Jonas_SG
    What is the strongest and weakest class in the current version?

Top geared archer is strongest and its not even a contest. Press 1 button and enjoy owning everyone.

Tbh there are dozens of absolutely worthless talents and primitive classes. Bard class is a joke - turn on a song that buffs group and do nothing else but run around, almost all mage abilities have cast times up to 5 seconds so can easily be interrupted, melee classes are almost useless in mass PvP,  hunters do all dmg with one ability, healers are very generic with zero interesting mechanics.

There are 120 available classes and after many hours of testing and theoricrafting Ive yet to find a single one that I really liked.