Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition: D&D Perfection

2»

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    dont get me wrong - i think the game is totally worth it...i just dont like playing "my old favorites as a child" anymore...same reason i passed on final fantasy vii...its just that these games were magical for me - their memory is magical for me. I just made the experience, that when i play the games again, i dont get that magical feeling anymore that i had when i was a child...they are still great games, but the magic isnt there anymore - and i rather want to keep them in my memory as magic and feed on that...now its time for new magic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

it was a good game, but nothing special. my special games, because they were my first, are bards tale 2 and wasteland. then dungeon master. pool of radiance brought something new, the isometric view and you could customate your characters. ultima was a nice game but i preferred games with a party. i always played with friends and so each of us made characters.

baldurs gate came long after but i never played it through because i had played such games too much already.

i think its nostalgica and the younger generation wont like it, and the older ones will realise, that they wont have that first feeling/experience again.

then, i would like to have the original, finished and improved SWG back 

• xmojo1xmojo1 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Already purchased both enhanced editions. Played them as a kid and they were amazing, and after a few hours playing EE it's clear they have held up really well. Waiting for the enhanced Planescape: Torment. Still haven't played that one at all. I actually owned it way back when but the combat was such a mess I gave up on it almost immediately. I would love a second chance at it.

As a matter-of-fact InXile Entertainment, who is developing the successor to Wasteland (called Wasteland 2), is also going to be developing the successor to Planescape: Torment. So there won't be a Planescape: Torment EE, but there is going to be Planescape: Tides of Numenera coming out in a couple of years time.

• skizowizardskizowizard Member Posts: 5
    baldurs gate1 and  2 ...  best starting bricks number 1 and 2  for building the long term undying universe of offline/online fantasy play ///  neverwinter 1 and 2 the bricks started to crack a  little and take less of a strong shape but still looking like good bricks able to hold the undying universe .... neverwinter online ... dragon wut ?  starwars and wutnot... ye they ate a worm hole ... no bricks no universe it just looks like a console type game ... no soul no brain no heart no brick.... its not even dust to say it is....
  • MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by JJ82

It was great for its time. So was Ultima 4, 5 and 7...and Never Winter Nights. Doesn't mean I am going to by a new version of it with slightly better graphics.

I would only recommend it for those that never played it before, providing they have an open mind to older games.

Honestly, I would gladly pay for an Enhanced Edition of NWN1. I mean, totally, I'd be fine paying just to have it converted for NWN2 engine. Some games just never die. I mean, I still prefer Morrowind over Oblivion or Skyrim, DDO over Neverwinter (Cryptic) and Icewind Dale 2 over Dragon Age -series.

Want more good old games? Jagged Alliance 2 + mods, totally beats the new Jagged Alliance which was just a disgrace to the good old games.

Fallout series? Well, while I cannot argue that Fallout 3 & New Vegas would not be successes, I must say that I still enjoy Fallout 2 more than anything else in the series. (Okay, this is not true, my heart has been taken by Wasteland 2, but does that count? After all, it is based on the game what came -before- fallout series...)

Guild Wars? Certainly prefer the first one over the second.

X-COM series (1 - 3) over New ones. ArmA 2 modded rules over ArmA 3. Battlefield 2 Project Reality instead of new run and gun Battlefield crap. Rainbow Six 1 - 3 make you think, when the New titles are just the same run and gun with Explosions. The list goes on...

The only new games what I enjoy more than their predecessors are Natural Selection 2 and NWN2.

Originally posted by Mirandel

If you talk about BG2 refreshed with EE you might mention original BG completely re-made on NwN2 engine: Baldur's Gate Reloaded - your BG in 3D - http://games.on.net/2013/07/mod-spotlight-a-closer-look-at-the-hugely-impressive-baldurs-gate-reloaded/

http://kotaku.com/holy-hell-this-guy-re-created-all-of-baldurs-gate-in-511489475

Tremendous work and absolutely free if you care about that particular point.

A good suggestion, but sadly, the BG Remake on NWN2 engine is broken as hell. At least the multiplayer was. Load a game, your whole party is fatigued. Monsters spawn out of nowhere 5 meters from your party, and you're instantly in combat without having a chance to plan anything out. Not to mention other bugs we ran into together...

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    BG1 Enhanced Edition was arguably a step down from the original, given the lack of online play. Hopefully BG2 is actually enhanced this time.

What is this nonsense? BG:EE had Online Play over IP connection. Worked without any trouble. However, trying to get old Baldur's Gate 1 to work on windows 7? Good luck, that's a combination of witchcraft, voodoo and pure luck.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Personally I prefer Neverwinter Nights 2 or PS: Torment. 
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Definitely my in my top-5 of greatest computer / console games ever.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    so, since when is baldur's gate a single player RPG?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Uncle_CrimboUncle_Crimbo Member Posts: 6
    i could bare with the game... if it had more voice acting, i like old games with old graphics.. i hate having to control multiple characters.. but whatever.. i was gonna enjoy the game.. if it had 110% voice acting
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Just purchased this as I "just" finished the first one for the first time. 

Never got far in the second one as I had played a lot of the first one (never finishing it) but so far it's great.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Thane
    so, since when is baldur's gate a single player RPG?

uhm, always has been.  Its got a co-op multiplayer mode, but you're still doing the exact same thing as the single player game involves.  Not like there is PVP or something like that.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I still have the original Box of BG and BG2 with the original CDs.

Baldurs gate is the greatest RPG of all time, together with Ultima, Fallout and the TES series.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I like these games but I don't worship them.  I recently tried to get into torment, it was impossible due to the clunky controls and unrecognizable graphics.  It's not really snobbish to be that way, what we'll put up with always has to do with what's available, supply and demand.

I'm old, and I've played all the greats not just from the PC world, but the console world that is so greatly snubbed here such as dragon warrior, ff 1-6, suikoden 1-5, arc the lad, grandia, on and on. 

Yet, despite this, Im proud of the fact that I found even more enjoyment from the PS3 rpgs like Fallout 3, F3 New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion, Borderlands 1 and 2, the Asscreed games (which are fairly rpg'ish despite lack of char progression), Mass effect trilogy (admittedly the first one wasn't on it till later and I played it on PC), Dragon Age, and yes Dragon Age 2 was good too.  Fourteen games I was able to rattle off the top of my head.  

Not going to account for my gf's taste, which consists mostly of disgaea games.  She like many other gamers of our generation are fixated on the 16-bit through ps2 era.  It's mostly nostalgia.  Kids are growing up today who will try these games and think meh, they will play the ever hated Diablo 3 while they are young and that game will be their favorite of all time.  I find it sad that we can't set aside sentimentality and enjoy what's put in front of us properly.  It's like longing for the girl that got away while you have a wife right there who loves you.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I don't think I could play the bg2 enchanted edition for starters it would make all my mods invalid. Way good rpg (not as good as Planescape storywise) and mods made it even better.

• dwturduckendwturducken Member CommonPosts: 14

This game, and its predecessor, are still installed on an active computer. In fact, I always keep one computer alive that still runs Windows 98, just for these games, the original XCom, and he old Gold Box D&D games. I don't see how anyone who played this game all the way through when it originally came out can look at a $25 price tag and think that's too high, especially if he or she doesn't still have the CDs in a box, somewhere.

What I am always struck by is how old this game actually is. How many folks do you suppose are working at Bioware right now simply on the basis of playing this game, or the one before it, and thinking, "I want to do THIS when I grow up!"

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Has the entire gamer generation turned into a bunch of cheapasses?

How in the world could someone claim this is not worth $25 and then turn around and spend $60 on some tripe like diablo 3?  Or Mass Effect 1-3.  Most single player games nowadays have AT BEST 15 hours of singe player game time, 25 if you really milk it.  BG2+Throne of Bhaal was over 200 hours, even for enthusiasts.

Oh, but you say you can get it on GOG for $10!!!!.  Well, prepare to spend many hours dealing with random bugs, incompatibilities, etc.  Lets also not forget that its not formatted for modern computers, etc.

So, the real cost here is $15.  Think about that next time you buy lunch at California Pizza Kitchen or some other restaurant and you will realize that its not at all a lot of money.

GoG games are compatible versions of classic games on modern computers. I don't think you really understand what GoG does. Their versions of BG 1 and 2 work fine for most people. 

Compare this with the EE editions that have introduced all new bugs that never existed previously, the patching from Beamdog to fix said bugs is taking ages. Just before BG2 EE released they just about got BG1 in a working non-glitchy state with a huge patch.

People aren't being, 'cheap', it's really a case of common sense. Do you pay $10 for a working version of a title or pay $15 bucks more for an, 'enhanced', edition that can barely claim to be that? 

To be fair BG2 EE seems to be a bit better in terms of stability but the argument is still valid and it's why some people think what Beamdog is offering is a few steps away from being a scam.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

It's a relic of a time when storytelling, writing, and mechanics had to fit together properly. Utilizing a mangled version of the AD&D ruleset, combat is a matter of stop-start tactics, ordering hamster-toting barbarians into battles and demanding a snooty druid take on clerical duties. It's a game that can be played your way, and one that never stops trying to immerse you into its deep and engrossing world.

*hangs head*....Boo...He thinks us a barbarian.....*sighs*

And just to be the old man on the porch.......

You think Bioware knew what they were doing with BG.......I got threee letters for ya kiddo.....

S

S

I

Yeah, google that there on up sonny....*old guy harumph*

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Ziegler

S

S

I

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, brilliant game.

Old school SSI fan here.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    While all the Baldur's Gate games were great for their time, there are much better games out there today.  Why spend time on an old game when there are so many better new games?  Getting hard to allocate times to what I want to play and there is always something new coming out.
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Ziegler

It's a relic of a time when storytelling, writing, and mechanics had to fit together properly. Utilizing a mangled version of the AD&D ruleset, combat is a matter of stop-start tactics, ordering hamster-toting barbarians into battles and demanding a snooty druid take on clerical duties. It's a game that can be played your way, and one that never stops trying to immerse you into its deep and engrossing world.

*hangs head*....Boo...He thinks us a barbarian.....*sighs*

And just to be the old man on the porch.......

You think Bioware knew what they were doing with BG.......I got threee letters for ya kiddo.....

S

S

I

Yeah, google that there on up sonny....*old guy harumph*

Still waiting for a remake of ANY goldbox game. 

Unlike the Bioware games, they're considered freeware as the original SSI studios went belly-up, so there's not even a licensing issue to contend with.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    so.... Enhanced Edition?.... the only Enhancement i care about in any classic game with archaic point and click controls are the addition of WASD (or controller) support. If they dont add it, i wont miss the game.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

BG2 is an absolute classic!

A Pure masterpiece RPG and ive yet to play any RPG that can rival.

This game has taught me that graphics mean f**k all. That said, the graphics are not that bad.

This game succeeds in its immersion. Your conversation choices really allow you to play out alignments in a believable way. Whoever wrote them is pure genius. Ive yet to play a Modern RPG that has as believable and geniune characters and narratives. That reveal unexpected twists and plots as believably as BG2.

I recommend this, BG1, ID & ID2 to all looking to appease themselves during this MMO darkage were experiencing. Ive played and completed all titles numerous times since I was 12 and I STILL find myself going back years later. Each time the experience is as unique as the last.

That said there are some absolute diamond RPG's from the old age of gaming, I'd also recommend delving back to the out Fallout 2, Fallout: Tactics, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum Steamworks.

Good read, good sir on the Column!

---