Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the state of the game?

Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
I'm just curious what the state of the game is looking like, in terms of populations, any new raids and I dont know about this galatic starfighter expansion but I was just checking server load and there are only two servers that are listed under heavy? This strikes me as odd because I remember my co worker telling me how bioware bought the license for atleast another decade. My question is how will they continue to maintain upfloat if no body plays the games?  This saddends me because I really do love SW and I feel that if another developer was given the chance to make this work that this game would be number one right now. Anyway, thanks in advance.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
---

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I just looked at torstatus.net as I could  not believe the OP's statements, and well yes I will call them inflated.  Almost every server is listed as standard for the past week.   I would say that does not bode well, and that goes all the way back to November 29th as them being standard. 

From what I could tell after looking at torstatus.net it looks like the servers are stable for the most part, so you have a core set of players, but your not getting any new blood. 

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

Depends on who you ask.

They have a core stable playerbase and a bunch of F2P players that rotate in and out.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Made a screenshot of the server status from today 12-26-13 at 9:28 Pm EST

Click to enlarge

I play every day and there is no lack of players. Just in each fleet there are 2 to 3 instances in  ~300 - 500 players.

And low planets are still going strong.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    There is plenty of people to play the game. It is a theme park game so you don't need as many people as a sandbox. 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Its got a million active players a month, of which a little under 500k of those are subscribers. Most MMOs on the market would dream for those numbers

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Still going downhill like any other themepark, that era will very likely be over in 2014/15.

They don't tell you about sub numbers for a reason, probably around 150K 

and GSF is a clone of a free game on Steam called Star Conflict, just without PvE and less features

Originally posted by DocBrody

Still going downhill like any other themepark, that era will very likely be over in 2014/15.

and GSF is a clone of a free game on Steam called Star Conflict, just without PvE and less features

I love DocBrody, always entertaining lol

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    How is the end game looking? How many tiers of raids are available? Have they added any new ones since release? I ask because I am curious to see where bioware is going with this. I hear they released space battles and such but didn't bother adding any new raids. Is this true? If my question annoy you, I am sorry but this game takes a really long time to download,

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Poor, getting worse, going downhill. I give it another two or three years, tops.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Poor, getting worse, going downhill. I give it another two or three years, tops.

its more resilient, than i expected

the biggest questions are:

how hard is EA willing to fight over the IP

and, how much Money can the competition get together

its the battle of the suits

the moment, Disney gets a better deal, theyll just do, what LA did to SWG

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

It's mediocre at best. Like it always has been.

Hopefully it will be shut down very soon and MAYBE we can finally have a real Star Wars MMO again???????

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Hopefully it will be shut down very soon and MAYBE we can finally have a real Star Wars MMO again???????

since almost everyone plays this game because of

Reason A "It´s Star Wars"

or

Reason B "Lightsabers"

this will most likely go into maintenance mode when Star Wars Battlefront III and the other open world SW game come out. Those will have lightsabers and a Star Wars logo too

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by Reion1
    How is the end game looking? How many tiers of raids are available? Have they added any new ones since release? I ask because I am curious to see where bioware is going with this. I hear they released space battles and such but didn't bother adding any new raids. Is this true? If my question annoy you, I am sorry but this game takes a really long time to download,

I'm probably not the best to answer this since I play very casually, but it seems like no one else is so... I think they added 2 raids or Operations (whatever its called) with the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and then I think another one shortly after? Ive never raided, I had a Trooper at level 55, took a long break because of a move, and just now got back into it but decided to re-roll Empire.

As far as direction its probably the same as any other theme park MMO - more/better ways to get gear and feel like a badass. That being said, if you didn't like the game before you probably won't like it now, but if you just want to try new content there is a whole new level 50-55 planet, a couple raids, some daily mission zones, daily missions that take you to old planets (that are actually pretty fun sans loading times), and of course now GSF. GSF is, as someone else said, pretty much a carbon copy of Star Conflict, but its a fun diversion and apparently in February some new battleground which combines GSF with ground combat is coming out which could make it a lot more interesting. Or so I hear.

Bottom line is if you like questing and a couple raids in the Star Wars universe, then you will like it. If you are expecting the game to have changed completely and not be a WoW clone in space with great storytelling, you shouldn't bother downloading.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

As the game passes its second anniversary I think SWTOR had an OK 2013; the word EA used in the summer. Last year preparing for the launch of the f2p option EA will have set out various targets for the year ahead in terms of revenue and costs and - all things considered - I think SWTOR has come through.

It had an OK f2p launch getting 2m new accounts in 6 months; not spectacular but not a flop. To put the 2m number in perspective SWTOR sold 2.4m boxes in the 6 months after launch and many f2p games measure their numbers in tens of millions but it was OK.

It (probably) sold 500k copies of Makeb at between $15 and $30 a copy - counting people who came back and subbed to get the discount as $30 sales and the existing subscribers as $15 sales. Again an OK performance but not the 1m sales number that EA used to use as a benchmark for "hit".  

It only lost 25% of its subscribers between the launch of the f2p option and August. It was losing subscribers before f2p and EA will have expected to lose more when the f2p option became available so to only lose 25% in c. 9 months was OK. (Of course we don't know how many were left).

It doubled its average revenue in the first 6 months post f2p - of course this included sales of Makeb and the initial revenue that typically accompanies a f2p launch e.g. the one off $5 preferred status type spends. Revenue isn't profit but this must be OK.

It only closed a few more servers (the Asiatic ones).

The CFO said recently that costs had been brought in line. Which again is OK. He didn't wax lyrical about SWTOR being profitable - probably because in corporate finance there is a world of difference between making $1 and being "profitable"; especially over an extended time period. SWTOR seems to have met EA's expectations however.

So overall: 2013 seems to have been an OK year.

Looking forward the prospects for 2014 are - almost certainly - not as good. I don't think that EA will have high expectations. The launch of XBox1, PS4, huge tablet sales, new Christmas games, TESO etc. etc. will have been considered. There is no 2re-launch" around the f2p option to boost numbers, no Makeb to bring back subscribers. Projections will have been crunched and team sizes scaled accordingly. SWTORs costs will stay locked down. And that probably means less content in 2014 than in 2013. 

Which is what the lack of buzz suggests. Makeb and SSSP were being talked about over 12 months before they launched. Currently the next big thing is .... the launch of GSF for f2p.

It could be that they are waiting to see how Christmas pans out. What the impact of all the new stuff is. And then they will make decisions and provide a road map for what is to come but currently what there is now is what you can expect going forward. with maybe new ceremonial robe design!

Originally posted by svandy

I'm probably not the best to answer this since I play very casually, but it seems like no one else is so... I think they added 2 raids or Operations (whatever its called) with the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and then I think another one shortly after? Ive never raided, I had a Trooper at level 55, took a long break because of a move, and just now got back into it but decided to re-roll Empire.

As far as direction its probably the same as any other theme park MMO - more/better ways to get gear and feel like a badass. That being said, if you didn't like the game before you probably won't like it now, but if you just want to try new content there is a whole new level 50-55 planet, a couple raids, some daily mission zones, daily missions that take you to old planets (that are actually pretty fun sans loading times), and of course now GSF. GSF is, as someone else said, pretty much a carbon copy of Star Conflict, but its a fun diversion and apparently in February some new battleground which combines GSF with ground combat is coming out which could make it a lot more interesting. Or so I hear.

Bottom line is if you like questing and a couple raids in the Star Wars universe, then you will like it. If you are expecting the game to have changed completely and not be a WoW clone in space with great storytelling, you shouldn't bother downloading.

if its a clone, then it isnt wows

its a themepark..like wow

it has hotbars, like wow

they cloned some of the skills, shameless copy-and -paste

pretty much, everything else, is different

either, they cloned something else, or the process was borked

All of your questions can be answered by google/swtor wiki, therefore I am a little curious as to the motive behind you creating this thread ;)

In any event, SWTOR is now on Tier 5.  Vanilla had 3 tiers, RotHC launched with tier 4 (12 bosses), and they just released tier 5 a short while ago (10 bosses). I would honestly like to see where you heard they have not been adding any raids lol.

Reason A "It´s Star Wars"

or

Reason B "Lightsabers"

this will most likely go into maintenance mode when Star Wars Battlefront III and the other open world SW game come out. Those will have lightsabers and a Star Wars logo too

TWO star wars logos? IN THE SAME UNIVERSE?

wont that screw with Space/time continuum?

is that their cunning plan?, to gank us all , so they can just AOE loot our corpses?

normally, i would switch on the bat signal, but hes on vacation

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Again?  What is it that makes Star Wars, Star Wars?  It's the narrative.  And the quality (and Star Warsiness) of the narrative in TOR is so far above and beyond anything that was in SWG that it isn't even funny.  Regardless of what you think of the games in terms of gameplay, TOR is far more of a Star Wars game than SWG ever even tried to be.

Pre-NGE SWG was just a sandbox with a few Star Wars visuals and music tracks tossed on top.  It boggles my mind that so many SWG fans think that because that one game was a sandbox, that means Star Wars = Sandbox, and themepark automatically means "not Star Wars."

Reason A "It´s Star Wars"

or

Reason B "Lightsabers"

You left out the biggest draw for the kind of people who actually stick around.

Reason C "It's BioWare."

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Reason A "It´s Star Wars"

or

Reason B "Lightsabers"

You left out the biggest draw for the kind of people who actually stick around.

Reason C "It's BioWare."

Do not think "C" can be counted as an option, as Bioware only exists in name, all the talent that made the company great in the past, have been gone for a long time.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Depends on who you ask.

They have a core stable playerbase and a bunch of F2P players that rotate in and out.

+1

On this site a " state of the game" is always a loaded question. The most biased answers you'll ever see show up here. Trying to use logic and reason to explain ones "bias" is a bit like trying to push water up hill. You think you're doing a great job of it, everyone else thinks you're an idiot for even trying.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

TBH I think 150k sounds reasonably accurate*and could even be very generous), but I also think it'll boost when the space expansion gets released, clone or not.  By how much and for how long will be interesting to see and could even define the future of swtor.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

End game seems like just gather as many cartel items as you can and show them off on the fleet.

Originally posted by Karahandras

TBH I think 150k sounds reasonably accurate*and could even be very generous), but I also think it'll boost when the space expansion gets released, clone or not.  By how much and for how long will be interesting to see and could even define the future of swtor.

The space expansion released a month ago.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Depends on who you ask.

+1

On this site a " state of the game" is always a loaded question. The most biased answers you'll ever see show up here. Trying to use logic and reason to explain ones "bias" is a bit like trying to push water up hill. You think you're doing a great job of it, everyone else thinks you're an idiot for even trying.

come on..we need something more specific

we cant rage over something , as vague, as that

thats like a weather report saying " tomorrow, the sun will shine on parts of the World. other parts may have rainfall"

the information is correct ,but its also totally useless

Originally posted by Karahandras

im guessing at 250 k

until theyre nr 1 , or they shut Down, we wont know anything

This discussion has been closed.