Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No World PvP? No Thanks...

123457»

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Horusra Glad the OWPvP'ers will be somewhere else.
      i like OWpvp very much and will be playing this game at launch. from the sounds of it, cyrodiil sounds like its going to be just like the other pve areas (in size and in content) just with pve enabled and added pvp content. maybe i am wrong but i am hoping that cryodiil will feel like OWpvp because people will be doing pve content and the danger of ganking will be there. if anyone is upset that they can't gank a lowbie, they are probably just bad at pvp anyways.
    DAoC had some PvE quests (not many but some) in the frontiers and there were also a few good grinding areas for those pesky last couple of levels.

I remember many times being there with just a couple of friends playing cat and mouse with raids of 20 or more on their way to take a keep...great fun running, hiding and occasionally picking off a few stragglers here and there.

Venturing into Cyrodiil to PvE with just a couple of friends will be similar. Except, from what I understand, there will be many more PvE reasons to go there than DAoC ever had. The fact that everyone is bolstered to 50 in Cyrodiil is just gravy that gives similar sized groups a fighting chance. It's open world done right IMHO.

yeah i know they have mentioned it will have all the towns oblivion had full of pve quests just like the other pve faction areas, with caves and dungeons as well.

if there is that much pve on top of the pvp content you can also do there, i can totally see it feeling like an open world pvp game, especially if is a huge area, that is the key really.

i can see myself spending a lot of time in cyrodiil if its like that.

• duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112

I have no plan of playing ESO, as I am already committed to another mmo.

That  said, saying that avoiding sandbox-style world pvp is a bad thing... is naive to a fault.

Instanced PVP can be done and done well, both small and large scale, without including the PK concept.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Where do they say no OPEN PVP?

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• ZelonZelon Member Posts: 7

PvP zone is cyrodiil

Why do you want a World PvP !?<span alt-edited"="">If you  lv  is low  is annoying to be killed by  those with lv 50.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

I agree with the comments that ESO made the right choice here.  "Open World" PVP has been tried many times - check out Age of Conan.

The "PVP" in such full loot open world PVP games - if you can call it that - includes such wonderful fun as:

- level 80's attacking level 10's

- people attacking others when they are helplessly engaged in reading NPC quest giver dialogue

- people  attacking others when they are helplessly engaged in crafting

- people attacking others when they have MOBS on them

- people griefing any attempt to organize in-game events, especially RP events

- vile and hostile hate tells and profanity-laced domination of chat channels by 11 year olds

Occasionally, almost by pure chance, you will see people fighting others who actually have a chance to fight back.  But mainly, the idea is to cause as much misery at as little risk to oneself as possible.

And no, open world PVPers aren't any "tougher" than you or I.  If they wanted a real challenge, they would be fine with what ESO is offering.  But they want to gank and grief - I wish they would at least be honest about it.

In theory I could support open world, full loot, PVP.  But I have seen how it attracts the bottom feeders of the Internet.  Been there, done that....you end up with empty servers as everyone else but the bottom feeders leaves for other games.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I just think it's ironic that the two biggest complaints about the game are that

(a) It's not enough like the single player game

and

(b) It's too much like the single player game

I think that goes a long way towards explaining why MMOs shoot for the mainstream, rather than the MMO aficionados.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• silent-jonessilent-jones Member Posts: 28

PVP in from the actual game seperated areas? So no freedom and suprises and living and breathing world at all? No way of  a social system growing naturally by itself?

Unfortunately the game is a dead born child.

What a bummer.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I guess people don't do their research.  It's going to have a designated PvP zone, but it's not like Warsong Gulch or some small battleground.  It'll be more like DAoC, with a huge open area to go kill people.  From what I read, there won't be any queue or anything like that.  It's going to be like DAoC, you jump in, go cut people's heads off all day :)

Just because you can go to the noob town and slaughter 50 level 1 noobs a minute shouldn't make a difference...that's not pvp anyways, that's griefing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by silent-jones

PVP in from the actual game seperated areas? So no freedom and suprises and living and breathing world at all? No way of  a social system growing naturally by itself?

Unfortunately the game is a dead born child.

What a bummer.

1, it's a themepark so "not living/breathing world" therefore you can't judge it on what it's not.

2, Why not freedom and surprises? You have a huge area that might as well be considered its own server where you have people not only doing pvp but pve quests? There are separate towns there.

3, Since it's practically its own world you will be getting a social system growing around the towns and pve/pvp areas.

You could essentially think of the pve areas as their own separate servers.

So I don't see the issue. Heck from level 10 you can enter Cyrodiil and never leave. Just seems like gamer hysterics to me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Originally posted by ezduzit

I have to agree. PVP zones or arena have no place in a future MMO. It's part of the same old crap that is proven ineffective to the pvp community.

Please tell me your kidding? "Ineffective", are you joking? If done correctly ala DAoC, itll be amazing.  DAoC was one of, if not the most successful pvp game ever created and a lot of ppl will agree that it did it well. And, it wasnt even 100% PvP.  It had its mix of PvE just how ESO will have.  Fighting over stuff against other realms is 100x better than griefing players in low zones an what not.  Now I agree on arenas, they are pointless other then beefing up your own ego.  However when it comes to a zone where theres multiple sides fighting over keeps/other things that effect your side, then yes its worthwhile and very much needed because if you look at the track record of every mmo that has come out since EQ/WoW has tried to integrate pvp in the world that has zero effect on the world/side and even more so once arenas have entered the picture, it has not done so well at all.  I think ppl are wanting a mix of both PvE and PvP and no game has done it successfully since DAoC.  Ppl may disagree and thats fine but take a long hard look at all the games since those that I mentioned. 

Now PvPing and having zero effect on the world/side your fighting for/surroundings, than yes, its "Ineffective and pointless.  But seeing as how some devs on this team are from the DAoC era, I have a strong feeling that they will do it right and I know for a fact that many many many people are dying for something in the same spectrum.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

So, another controlled environment themepark MMO.

huh, guess I'll check it when it goes f2p

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    If you want a feel or look to something similar to this games pvp try guildwars2 wvwvw it is very close to what your gonna get

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

So ESO stated that their PvP will be [mod edit]., dedicated PvP area.

I'm done with the sass. No thanks.

This game seems to be more like a medieval SWTOR, anyways.

+1 i dont like pvp arena line NW -.- open world ftw