Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter : Game of the Year /vote

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

In case this thread isn't a troll...

A big fat NO!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I would have to say no. I guess the only mmo I could vote for this year (That came out this year) would be Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn. The reason would be due to how much effort they put into recreating it. I personally don't enjoy it enough to stay, but I respect the opinion of others that do enjoy it enough to stay.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Some years the best choice really is 'None of the above'

This is the correct answer to the thread.

To work in the confines of the question (which is very limiting), my vote is No. I'd vote for Wushu or AAR long before I'd vote anything towards Neverwinter. Still, that isn't saying much, since neither of those games held my interest past a month, but at least i didn't give up on them in a few days.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    I find it hard to except an already released game as a game of the year. FF was released a few year ago, revamping it doesn;t make it new.I would gladly except FF to be Most improved title ?
    I did not play the original FF so I can not compare. However, from what I have read, FFIV:ARR is quite a different game than the original FFXIV was. Do you disagree? Do you think they are similar enough similar enough to disqualify the new version? Or did they just fix a whole mess of bugs in the original?

It seems, and I could be wrong here, that the game that is getting the most votes you are denying as released.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Neverwinter is NOT pay to win.. I'm not sure what some of you think Pay 2 Win is but it's not Neverwinter. You can earn and get almost everything anyone else can WITHOUT SPENDING ANY MONEY. Some of it take time though. Ya'll need to remember it's a free game.. devs do need to make money otherwise there wouldn't be a game. If you want to advance fast you have the option to buy things with real cash but I've been playing since the very beginning and have not spent one dollar. Just to give you an idea of what I have with spending no money at all is an Epic Mount 110% speed, some of the best end game gear and weapons, Ioun Stone of Allure, the best clothes you can get, a guild bank with 3 tabs which I only use for storage on an alt, all enchants at epic 7+, good amount of gold and AD..  and as I stated I've spent no money at all. It's just not a pay to win game on so many levels. Like I said it takes time though to get things like most MMORPGS. I see people talking bad about Perfect World Entertainment and I get why some might not like them. A lot of their games are P2W and ya some are shallow MMOs..but Neverwinter isn't one of them. Cryptic Studios is in control pretty much and you would know there's a big difference between games like PWI, Forsaken World etc. etc.  and Neverwinter. Neverwinter is at least worth trying out. And as a kid I played the real D&D.. with dice etc. etc. I can see why some wouldn't be exactly happy with it repping the name due to some of the limits on things like race and builds.. ya got to remember they are trying to provide a good game and bring in a good amount of  the forgotten realms things. It's not gonna be perfect it just wont..  but I can tell you hands down it has D&D online beat by a long shot and is definitely the best D&D game out atm. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Personally, I am going with no, I couldn't log out of it fast enough.

what would be you alternative to MMO : GotY ?

Oh, I don't know...pick any other 2013 launch out of a hat, and chances are it was better.  Neverwinter is a disgrace to the Dungeons and Dragons universe.  

How ?

Instanced world where exploration is non-existant

Absolutely no character development or character building

No multi-classing

No feats, what they have are talent trees that all themepark MMOs share and tag it on as "feats"

Item mall shop everywhere you look

No impacting choices

No meaningful trap system

No skills, character skills like diplomacy or street wise

No Persistent World creation

I followed Neverwinter very closely ever since it's announcement when Craptic was still owned by Atari.  I had high hopes but in the end it was an utter disgrace as all the iconic features like character development, traps, feats, and other things they completely threw out the window.  All what Neverwinter is a F2P mall shop cash grab on a very popular IP of Dungeons and Dragons and the Neverwinter name.  The game is just a themepark MMO bastardization of D&D in a D&D skin where the only D&D elements in in lore only.  DDO provides a truer D&D experience in so many ways it's not even funny.  The only the game has going for is their half assed creation tool that is a shadow of what it should be as players cannot make their own worlds which was the life and blood of the Neverwinter series along with being F2P.

Neverwinter lost their customers when players realized everything Craptic promised were half truths, more so when EQN releases.

Go ahead and be dellusional if you want about the game's success, but the fact remains is that Neverwinter is one of the worst MMOs released.  The game would have a good chance IF they had modeled the game after DDO which is a great D&D game that really delivers the D&D experience.  Just that DDO is dated and content output is not all that great and it needs a serious overhaul.

"Made by D&D fans FOR D&D fans, for the most action pack, most FUN D&D game yet" my friggin ass.

You have you answer in the poll, an abysmal 10.6% if offical reviews of 74/100 or user reviews of 5.8/10 were not enough.  Give up and accept the truth.

• raggnirraggnir Member UncommonPosts: 51

when i first played neverwinter after the release, i said: <> i though the game was horrible but since it was only 1 week old, i had to wait before judging

some updates later (quite a long time) i logged in and played for some hours, still horrible but i wanted to make sure! so i played for severals weeks until i maxed my char with some good stuff on him and my conclusion is :

lore=0

pve=poor

pvp= ok

diversity of roles= 0 (they took sooo much time to release just one more character, this really doesn't look like D&D to me)

edit: HA forgot to speak about the most important thing, this game is distributed by perfect world entertainement, which means a stupid cash shop that will ultimately RUIN the game even if the devs do their best to make a real D&D game

• raggnirraggnir Member UncommonPosts: 51

not really, it's just that i played most of PW mmorpgs and some for a long time and i you simply can't be competitive against cash shoppers even if you farm 24h/24. the problem here is the prices are so freaking high and there are so many "essential" items in their cash shops that even if you cash shop a little (which normal people with normal pays dften do) it's still not enough to compete at the higher lvls. 

• KeppyKeppy Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

Yes Worst game of the year!!!!!!

Path of exile was much more fun than this shitty game ..

• CayllCayll Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by furbans

Oh, I don't know...pick any other 2013 launch out of a hat, and chances are it was better.  Neverwinter is a disgrace to the Dungeons and Dragons universe.  

How ?

No multi-classing

No feats, what they have are talent trees that all themepark MMOs share and tag it on as "feats"

No impacting choices

I've done some exploration and found some nodes or a treasue box.  THe world is instances, like almost 90% of the games in the market.

Multi classing ? http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Multiclass_Characters

You choose between 2 different archytpes at level 30 pure the rules of D&D.

I;ve never seen any mmorpg have impacting choices.

No skills that a person could maybe do on there own while role playing with other characters ?

Persistent meaning ongoing.... when I log out  and log in, ny character is persistent ......

My responses aren;t challenging your opinion, they are only showing the flaws in your logic.  I very well agree with some point made, but as whole, the logic does not support your initial argument. When you then bash on F2P model, it completely dilutes the entire poiint of your opening statements.

Another words, you created a wholes serious of unimportant points to arrive at : I don't like F2P cash shops.

Have you even played the game? There is NO multi-class. You get to choose between two "prestige" classes, and once you've chosen, you're stuck with that ONE class. And they are just advanced version of your primary class. As per D&D, it's a Prestige Class not a multi-class, which would be Guardian/Rogue for example, you get the best of both worlds. This game does NOT have that.

I've seen plenty of MMO's having impacting choices. SWG, EVE Online, DAOC 2, Warhammer. Hell, even WoW has choices these days, that modify the way some of their stories go, via an instanced and mirrored quest line.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by furbans

How ?

No multi-classing

No impacting choices

I followed Neverwinter very closely ever since it's announcement when Craptic was still owned by Atari.  I had high hopes but in the end it was an utter disgrace as all the iconic features like character development, traps, feats, and other things they completely threw out the window.  All what Neverwinter is a F2P mall shop cash grab on a very popular IP of Dungeons and Dragons and the Neverwinter name.  The game is just a themepark MMO bastardization of D&D in a D&D skin where the only D&D elements in in lore only.  DDO provides a truer D&D experience in so many ways it's not even funny.  The only the game has going for is their half assed creation tool that is a shadow of what it should be as players cannot make their own worlds which was the life and blood of the Neverwinter series along with being F2P.

Neverwinter lost their customers when players realized everything Craptic promised were half truths, more so when EQN releases.

Go ahead and be dellusional if you want about the game's success, but the fact remains is that Neverwinter is one of the worst MMOs released.  The game would have a good chance IF they had modeled the game after DDO which is a great D&D game that really delivers the D&D experience.  Just that DDO is dated and content output is not all that great and it needs a serious overhaul.

"Made by D&D fans FOR D&D fans, for the most action pack, most FUN D&D game yet" my friggin ass.

You have you answer in the poll, an abysmal 10.6% if offical reviews of 74/100 or user reviews of 5.8/10 were not enough.  Give up and accept the truth.

Just like a regular D&D game

Just like a regular D&D game (using 4e)

No multi-classing

Just like a regular f2p game

No impacting choices

In conclusion, you are complaining about the game playing very similar to a 4e D&D game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by raggnir

when i first played neverwinter after the release, i said: <> i though the game was horrible but since it was only 1 week old, i had to wait before judging

some updates later (quite a long time) i logged in and played for some hours, still horrible but i wanted to make sure! so i played for severals weeks until i maxed my char with some good stuff on him and my conclusion is :

lore=0

pve=poor

pvp= ok

diversity of roles= 0 (they took sooo much time to release just one more character, this really doesn't look like D&D to me)

edit: HA forgot to speak about the most important thing, this game is distributed by perfect world entertainement, which means a stupid cash shop that will ultimately RUIN the game even if the devs do their best to make a real D&D game

So in other words, you hate the game because you hate PWE?  Gee, way to completely destroy your argument by using a failed ad hominem fallacy.

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

bad game is bad.

P2W, full of bugs and the company only cares about squeezing every last dime out of your pocket instead of improving the game.

I tried to like it so hard (cuz it's neverwinter night! cuz it's dnd)  that i played for a few weeks......but just couldn't endure it as it was such a bad game.

As someone that has played this game since early beta, and has just recently uninstalled it. My issues with it are relatively straight forward.

The lack of content is disappointing. The new areas they create, while attractively designed, are just clones of the area before it. The whole end game content system is based on a daily system, which is identical to the area before it. You go into instanced areas where you kill various monsters or pick up various highlighted items. You then return and hand the quests in that give you some form of daily point or token, which can be used to open other areas or ability boosts for your character.

I initially enjoyed the process, until they released the next area, which was literally a clone of the previous, they just changed the way the environment looked.

My next issue was the atrocious enchantment system for armor and weapons. The original was bad enough in terms that in order to get the item you needed to successfully make the higher level enchantments you needed to spend money to purchase keys to open lockboxes, or purchase special packs from the cash shop. The populous revolted in regard to this and they decided to change it to a system where you stack enchantments to create higher level ones, however, the amount you now require in order to get to top tier enchantments is disturbingly immense.

The PVP system is not even broken, it is just not well planned out. It suffers from glaring balance issues and bugs, and has so since beta. The lack of variation also does not help.

Finally this game is a casual game, it takes no time or effort to get to the limits of the game. This is a curse that many F2P games suffer from, as they focus majority of their attention on producing frivolous items for the cash shop, which is understandable as this is how they create income. The problem is that it dilutes the community, without features that enforce thriving community interaction, or a more in-depth game-play experience you create a transient community. This means that the game is free and it is casual, you can log into the game and in a matter of days level to maximum level and have your top tier gear set. You can then not play for 2 months and come back to the game and be in the same position, maximum level with a top tier gear set. This creates a community that comes and goes, with no real loyalty or dedication to a game. Or in other words, no community at all.

I could get into the irrelevant things such as lack of character customization in terms of armor and weapon choices, or strange stat builds on certain armor sets. But really those things do not make or break a game for me.

Thank you.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

If we're just sticking to MMOs, I'd have to go with Final Fantasy 14 for GotY.  If we're talking general gaming then it's definitely Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

The main problem I have with Neverwinter is it isn't D&D enough.  There's no diversity at all in races and classes.  In  PnP you can be a bajillion different classes and races, in Neverwinter you get like 8 races and 7 classes? (I don't remember lol)  Nowhere near enough diversity.  I wish somebody, anybody!, would have character creation like a PnP character sheet, then the game gives you the abilities and stats and stuff that you would get from PnP :)

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    There are two very significant issues that weight against this game. 1 ) Cryptic  2 ) PWE. I think that pretty well clears it up, and let's you know where I stand on this. Not that anyone cares. except people that make the games. As a consumer, I hold these names in greater contempt then I do Sony's gaming division. That's saying a lot.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    There are two very significant issues that weight against this game. 1 ) Cryptic  2 ) PWE. I think that pretty well clears it up, and let's you know where I stand on this. Not that anyone cares. except people that make the games. As a consumer, I hold these names in greater contempt then I do Sony's gaming division. That's saying a lot.

Not really, as it still all boils down to the hatred of a game based on the publishers and developers without taking into account the game itself, which means that you hate the game on an ad hominem fallacy, thus rendering your argument for hating the game pretty much null and void.

THAT'S saying a lot.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I getting a feeling it is because it is under PWE that it has a stigma of just being another asain clone of a clone.

I'm getting the feeling that you truly don't know why so many people actually hate this game beyond the stereotypical "asian clone" comment. The game is plagued with many issues from massive exploits/bugs, incredibly shallow classes, very low longevity, and overly expensive cash shop items are just a few of the issues with the game.

Actually, he's right.  I have seen a lot of "This game sucks because Perfect World Entertainment made it" comments, and most of the "this game sucks because of the exploits bugs" go into so little detail, it seems more like the people who make those comments are only making them because they think the game sucks because of PWE but want to trick people into thinking that they have more valid reasons.

I have seen plenty of people with valid complaints, but they are fairly few and far between, and do not repeat themselves (actually most of the complaints people have with the game are subjective and are more akin to reasons why they wouldn't like the game, not why the game sucks).

Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Not really, as it still all boils down to the hatred of a game based on the publishers and developers without taking into account the game itself, which means that you hate the game on an ad hominem fallacy, thus rendering your argument for hating the game pretty much null and void.

THAT'S saying a lot.

Not to turn this into a discussion of fault. But your argumentative ad hominem actually would not apply in this instance, because it is based on the presumption that the parties being named have upstanding reputations. In the case of both companies, they do indeed have a documented history of questionable actions and maneuvering, they also have a track record of various mistakes.

Let me put it this way: I am looking for a new car (video game), there are 2 car dealerships in my area, I choose to go to reputable car dealership (gaming developer) in order to purchase my car, as I have distrust for the other one (gaming developer) due to questionable sales ethics.

This is not an irrelevant arguments, it is quite relevant.

Thank you.