Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Help Ron Beat Cancer - A WoW Developer in Need

Comments

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

My God, seriously? Now you people are turning it into some half-witted tirade against the American health care system?

Absolutely disgusting how many of you people are using the story of this man's illness & misfortune for your own ridiculous, baseless claims, agendas, conspiracy theories, and political ideals. Shame on you, and shame on this site for allowing it.

If you read the article, the entire reason he's asking for money is because the American health care system failed him.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Matryoshka

My God, seriously? Now you people are turning it into some half-witted tirade against the American health care system?

Absolutely disgusting how many of you people are using the story of this man's illness & misfortune for your own ridiculous, baseless claims, agendas, conspiracy theories, and political ideals. Shame on you, and shame on this site for allowing it.

If you read the article, the entire reason he's asking for money is because the American health care system failed him.

+1 to the suggestion that he read the article

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Matryoshka

Thanks to it, it inspired one of the best shows that's ever graced our TVs.

"According to the National Cancer Institute, national cancer-care costs were $124 billion in 2010—$12.12 billion of that just for lung-cancer costs."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/27/breaking-bad-is-fully-dependent-on-our-broken-health-care-system.html

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

Let me see, donate money to a guy who makes a decent living and can repay those medical bills or debt incurred, or donate to a child or family that has no income, no employment, and no way to ever pay back a massive medical bill.

The average programmer in 2012 made like $74,000 a year, Blizzard would probably pay for an above average programmer. He is in fact on some sort of disability and has medical insurance. I have had members of my family die of cancer and my father fought cancer for quite a few years and survived. I know exactly what families like this go through. My parents combined salaries were less than just his growing up and when my father went through his struggle. I feel sympathy for him and his fight against cancer, but I am very suspect at the level of despair that his family is allegedly going through. We were never in fear of the lights going out or not being able to eat.

Bending the truth a bit to saves ones wallet is a common occurrence.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Are you joking or just completely out of loop with the US healthcare system? It isn't worth a crap. People pay all their hard earned money and then those companies say "Sorry, you're just gonna have to find the money elsewhere or die." They essentially rob hard-working people out of their money and then out of their very life.

I find it absolutely disgusting that you criticise others while not even knowing what you are talking about.

Smile

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Stage IV. That's not good, and I don't mean to be pessimistic, but that's like pretty much over the precipice. That being said, I hope the family can stay strong and keep the (general) faith alive.
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Really feel for this guy but being in the UK it hard to put myself  in that situation or the example of my mate in that situation he was diagnosed with cancer causing a tumour in his chest if not for our wonderful NHS he would not have made it to 2014.

About a year ago he had breathing problems and ill health,within a day of a doctors check up he was rushed for chemo and after 8 sessions over a year he is in full remission not only that but has a personal trainer as he has cardio problems due to the illness all on the NHS.

I do some times hate the way the UK is now and not the once great nation we were but my God the NHS is possibly the pride of Britain and most social welfare schemes in the world can't hold a candle to it.

p>
  • FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Cname
    Originally posted by biblestudy
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Prayer is the absolute best thing that can be done for him. God hears prayer, folks! :)

Except for, you know, things that can actually help.  Like chemotherapy and radiation.

Get well soon, Ron!

Being a stage 4 cancer survivor myself and experienced all three things listed above I can testify that they do work. 

Don't give up hope, Ron.

Learn and understand the medical terms, speak to doctors and survivors to get answers and opinions. Decide course of treatment and fight on!   

Stage 2 survivor (9 years and counting) and I agree. Never neglect prayer, chemo and radiation. Fight the good fight!

Well yes,, if he got cured prayers help and if not  it is god's will. Cmon!   I wish him  good medical care, luck and strong will for survive he doesn't need any divine creature for help

I agree with you bubaluba.

One thing I've learned though, is that each individual has his own way of dealing with life. Life sucks for many. If you're happy, then good for you, truly, but there are billions out there.

What gets someone through the day? Through life? What if the person standing next to you is alive only because of her or his belief in a greater power? Without that belief, that foundation, that person might have given up on life.

So, although I do agree with you, I also believe we need to let everyone believe in whatever it is they believe in. As long as they're not hurting anybody else. Be that through indoctrination or violence.

There are many mysteries in life, so maybe more is possible than we realize.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Dont you love the "Prayers help" crowd?

Next time you or your family get sick, instead of going to the Hospital, go to a church.

.... yea, thought so.

I'm not someone that believes but, I have noticed what happens to people when a Dr tells you you're going to die. When faced with the end of your own life, suddenly the thought of an afterlife or help from "god" doesn't sound so silly.

I think it's  one of those never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes thing. If someone's dying and wants to pray, let him pray in peace.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Let's not turn the discussion into either proselytism opportunity or an anti-religion rant. The focus is the article, the man's plight. Let's stay on topic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Blizzard are a gigantic cash cow and they can't stump up some readies for their employee?  He obviously means a great deal to then, else they would not be asking for us to help!  Stop being so cheap and help your employee out!  I wish you well and speedy recovery!  I lost my dad to cancer and especially at this time of year, it's very difficult!  I hate cancer and it should have been cured by now!!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by titanofdoom
    Stop being so cheap and help your employee out!  I wish you well and speedy recovery!  I lost my dad to cancer and especially at this time of year, it's very difficult!  I hate cancer and it should have been cured by now!!

I'm sorry for your loss

Blizzard has nothing to do this promotion  (beyond the guy being promoted as a blizzard employee)

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I've donated to help Ron and his family but it's a tragedy that he's had to turn to the gaming public to help subsidize his insurance company. He has a health-care plan and shouldn't be paying one god damn cent toward the cost of fighting his illness. 
  • crabdogcrabdog Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Dranny

Would this have even been posted if Ron didn't work on WoW.?

While I do feel sorry for the man and his family for what they are going through, but if I earned as much money as him then I would have made sure I had things covered just in case anything happened for whatever reason.

Maybe some rich people will take pity on his plight and donate the money to him.

I have to agree with this. This guy obviously made a lot more money than I do (or probably ever will) and the hard truth is if I was diagnosed with the same condition as him I certainly would not receive any help from this guy. Just because he worked on a game I used to play...really. There are more needy people with this kind of problem but do they get a thread on mmorpg.com or any other website?

btw prayers will not help this guy but medical treatment and money might. Truth sucks but it's the truth.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Prayer is the absolute best thing that can be done for him. God hears prayer, folks! :)

Um, no.......medical treatment is the absolute best thing that can be done for him...

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Hate to be cold hearted but there are thousands of people dying everyday. He's on stage iv, usually that is a death sentence.

Medical Care is a problem to begin with. America has bright lights and looks like a lovely place but when you get sick, good luck.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by expresso

To be fair if Blizz did simply pony up the cash that would set a very dangerous precedent, they help this guy they'll have to help everyone and their grandmother, if the guy who who cleans the windows fall ill should blizzard pay for that?  the guy who once a year renews the car park road marking?.

It's a sad situation but it's not for blizzard to sort out its his health insurance company.  

That's screwed up thinking, it really is. How many employees get cancer and are in this desperate situation? There is no general rule for these sort of things. Sometimes a larger entity has to do the right thing.

I hope Blizzard get involved and help out, regardless of he's how much he earns...sometimes you can't plan for every eventuality and insurance firms always operated on the premise that they should never pay out...when that comes to someones health, that's lethal.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Sky.FalconSky.Falcon Member UncommonPosts: 60
    honestly I dont really care what blizzard does. If the lot of us on this website just donated $1 the guy would be set. I hope you get better soon Ron.

Pretty much played every MMO that's come out since WoW.../sigh
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I wish the best for him. Having experienced that hell twice i really hope he gets the necessary aid. One thing is certain, for the type of job he does he should have a very very good health insurance coverage to ease that burden.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Grunty

I'm as much of a cynic as most who have replied to this thread.  At least I'm not quite as much of an asshat as y'all have shown.

Be well, Ron Nakada.

Spot on.  Was skimming this thread back to front and the amount of stumping and other stuff going on in this thread is infuriating. I don't tend to get redhot just reading the forums but I did this time, livid. I've been guilty at times. Though soon after the fact I am often well aware of it and feel pretty much like shit, even if it's in an online format.  Guess there's a time and place and this really wasn't one of those places. The guy hasn't done anything to anyone but be a employee at a gaming company that people love to hate. Really dislike humans sometimes.

Hope he gets a lucky break and survives. Death sucks.

Edit: Well to be fair, I was already worked up cause of Steam I guess.

• IvidnaelaxIvidnaelax Member UncommonPosts: 67
    The Social Security Administration has a compassionate allowance listing. Stage IV Large Intestinal Cancer with Distant Metastasis is one that will automatically get him approved for Disability. I know because I am a Colon Cancer survivor. http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/conditions.htm
  • IvidnaelaxIvidnaelax Member UncommonPosts: 67

Short-term covers up to 12 weeks depending on your policy. If he has Aflac then that is even better, after short term disability ends, long term disability kicks in and that lasts until you are age 65, but it all depends on the types of policies and coverage that he has. And to the person who said staying positive helps. Staying positive has no bearing what so ever on how you will respond to treatment. I had Stage 3C Colon Cancer and I kept wanting to just kick the bucket, but I am still alive and kicking.

The survival rate for Stage 4 is less than 8%, but with radiation, chemotherapy, the chances are better than nothing. He can apply for disability and get automatically approved for it because of the compassionate allowance listings, medicaid, and what ever else he can find that will help him out. When I was going through treatment, I was drawing $800 a month in short term disability, but I never lost hope and always had my bills covered.

There is more out there then what people think is available to help. All you have to do is the research.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by expresso

To be fair if Blizz did simply pony up the cash that would set a very dangerous precedent, they help this guy they'll have to help everyone and their grandmother, if the guy who who cleans the windows fall ill should blizzard pay for that?  the guy who once a year renews the car park road marking?.

It's a sad situation but it's not for blizzard to sort out its his health insurance company.  

That is not 100% true for the are those company that do pay some % of medic bill if the gap like this and the have as benefit just like some company have something call health & dental benefit for there employees and i would be very very surprise if  Blizz did not have some similar

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Fusion

Not to take a dump on the noble cause, but isn't that pocket change for Blizzard?

The least they could do for their employee for Christmas...

I really hope that people donates to help this guy win the battle against cancer.

Having said that, why  Blizzard executives won't  make a private donations to help one of its employee?

WoW made Billion of dollars in the last 10 years, surely 25k is not going to bankrupt them...............

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Fusion Not to take a dump on the noble cause, but isn't that pocket change for Blizzard? The least they could do for their employee for Christmas...
    I really hope that people donates to help this guy win the battle against cancer.

Having said that, why  Blizzard executives won't  make a private donations to help one of its employee?

WoW made Billion of dollars in the last 10 years, surely 25k is not going to bankrupt them...............

Ugh ....just ugh.

Blizzard didnt get to keep that money. That money went to Vivendi.

Pretty much everyone in this thread is under the mistaken impression that Blizzard is rolling in cash when they are not.

Just because WoW makes a lot of money does not mean Blizzard is rich. Vivendi is rich and Activision Blizzard is rich, not Blizzard.

Its like people have no idea what a subsidiary, parent company or a holding company is.

This discussion has been closed.