Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does TESO have such a split reaction?

1234568»

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I always thought playing TES games over the years, it would be fun to play with friends and like maybe 10-20 other players, but I never really thought it should be a full fledged MMO.  The problem I have with turning into an MMO is that you aren't going to get to keep that freedom that you do in a single-player RPG.  At least in a mutliplayer RPG, you would be able to still have things that change the entire world around the players, and have several of the things that has made TES a great franchise over the years.  In an MMO, you can't have everyone running around changing the world as they see fit, it just won't work out right.  I mean with more modern technologies I guess you could, WoW's phasing comes to mind, but still with phasing, you are sort of taking the MMO out of the game and making the 10-20 player multiplayer rpg, so why not just do that in the first place?
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I'm a TES fan and also a longtime MMO player, but they lost me at the whole "PvP economy" and the plan to allow people to join 5 or 10 guilds or whatever it is.  No idea why players should be limited in their participation in the in-game economy by PvP and/or guild objectives.  I fear this has the potential to lead to a lot of guild elitism and shunning of smaller, social guilds.

If you ask me, any sort of factor that limits player choice in an MMO is a bad idea.  No auction house in a game projected to be as big as this one is just foolish.  Just my one-and-a-half cents but I cannot understand tying the selling of one's wares to a guild/alliance or to PvP objectives.  That just screams of an economy that is going to be completely controlled by certain guilds or alliances.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by muppetpilot

I'm a TES fan and also a longtime MMO player, but they lost me at the whole "PvP economy" and the plan to allow people to join 5 or 10 guilds or whatever it is.  No idea why players should be limited in their participation in the in-game economy by PvP and/or guild objectives.  I fear this has the potential to lead to a lot of guild elitism and shunning of smaller, social guilds.

If you ask me, any sort of factor that limits player choice in an MMO is a bad idea.  No auction house in a game projected to be as big as this one is just foolish.  Just my one-and-a-half cents but I cannot understand tying the selling of one's wares to a guild/alliance or to PvP objectives.  That just screams of an economy that is going to be completely controlled by certain guilds or alliances.

Or, players can bring back the social aspects of the game, declare another area to be the selling area and talk with each other like the good old days. No one says you have to buy from the guild stores. Find a player you like and buy from them instead.

EQ1 had Commonlands markets long before any kind of broker/marketplace came into the game.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

Originally posted by Gravarg
    I always thought playing TES games over the years, it would be fun to play with friends and like maybe 10-20 other players, but I never really thought it should be a full fledged MMO.  The problem I have with turning into an MMO is that you aren't going to get to keep that freedom that you do in a single-player RPG.  At least in a mutliplayer RPG, you would be able to still have things that change the entire world around the players, and have several of the things that has made TES a great franchise over the years.  In an MMO, you can't have everyone running around changing the world as they see fit, it just won't work out right.  I mean with more modern technologies I guess you could, WoW's phasing comes to mind, but still with phasing, you are sort of taking the MMO out of the game and making the 10-20 player multiplayer rpg, so why not just do that in the first place?

Then next time that make a single-player version, start a petition to have cooperative play added and leave our MMO alone.

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth

Or, players can bring back the social aspects of the game, declare another area to be the selling area and talk with each other like the good old days. No one says you have to buy from the guild stores. Find a player you like and buy from them instead.

EQ1 had Commonlands markets long before any kind of broker/marketplace came into the game.

Or, how about simply having an AH or TP so that people can participate in the economy when they want to, instead of having to seek out certain people to trade with?  Or, what about the casual players who simply want to play the market for a few hours before going to bed?  What about giving those people a worldwide trade option - hence the AH or trading post or whatever term you prefer - instead of sending them to guild stores?  To my original point, and the thing that really keeps me away from ESO for now:  why would you limit those peoples' ability to help forge and maintain an in-game economy?

Or, if you want a player-controlled economy, why not do it like Guild Wars 1?  No AH, but a trade channel that runs 24/7 and most certainly does not require any sort of guild affiliation or PvP objectives to be completed. 

You're right, you can always buy through your friends list or what have you, but what happens when you've got wares to sell and those people either aren't online or are busy?  There is a reason AH systems work so well, and there are reasons why, as I said, limiting player choice is a bad idea.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I know man. I am to the point where I think they targeted the audience they once had for past RVR games rather than the Elder Scrolls player base. I am not sure there really is a place for just a "social guild" with the PVP focus and economy et al. this is oriented around being a far more competitive game than an experience yet they have too much PVE linear theme park junk not to tick off the competition seekers. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick  I think they targeted the audience they once had for past RVR games rather than the Elder Scrolls player base.

Ya Think?????

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth

Or, how about simply having an AH or TP so that people can participate in the economy when they want to, instead of having to seek out certain people to trade with?  Or, what about the casual players who simply want to play the market for a few hours before going to bed?  What about giving those people a worldwide trade option - hence the AH or trading post or whatever term you prefer - instead of sending them to guild stores?  To my original point, and the thing that really keeps me away from ESO for now:  why would you limit those peoples' ability to help forge and maintain an in-game economy?

Or, if you want a player-controlled economy, why not do it like Guild Wars 1?  No AH, but a trade channel that runs 24/7 and most certainly does not require any sort of guild affiliation or PvP objectives to be completed. 

You're right, you can always buy through your friends list or what have you, but what happens when you've got wares to sell and those people either aren't online or are busy?  There is a reason AH systems work so well, and there are reasons why, as I said, limiting player choice is a bad idea.

The last MMO I can remember opening without an AH was FFXIV 1.0 and holy cow were people not happy about it.  To be honest I can't believe any new non-niche MMO would even consider launching without one.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I feel like there is a thin line between convenience and game ruining when it comes to convenience features.

Yes teleportation is convenient and damn straight I'm going to use it. But does it ruin the adventure at times? Damn straight.

Same thing with AH. It is pretty damn convenient but it ruins some of the excitement of finding new gear or catching someone selling that sword you've been dying to get at a really low price.

I'm honestly shocked no MMO has really considered a more Diablo style random gear system. Might actually make gear more interesting than just striving to get the next "tier".

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I'm honestly shocked no MMO has really considered a more Diablo style random gear system. Might actually make gear more interesting than just striving to get the next "tier".

Asheron's Call had a similar loot system to Diablo.

You stay sassy!

Its not the game that has the split reaction. Its this board. Look at almost any of the major game boards, such as Tamriel Foundry, ESOTR, etc. The game is liked, despite its flaws.

But on MMORPG.COM, the haters come out. People that would rather spit vile that actually discuss the merits/flaws of the game.

For anyone actually considering reading this board to determine if this game is for you, please don't. Go find somewhere with actual views on the game, not just hate-driven rhetoric without logic or neutrality.

EDIT: Also, for those that hate multiplayer games and just want to play with themselves all day, why are they even on a MMO site? The only logical explanation is that they come here to bitch and moan.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

for me its more fun playing with others,if the game is half good I am there.

good rpg games coming if you just want to play alone.