Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition: D&D Perfection

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Most MMO players look fondly back at one or two single player RPGs that 'changed their lives'. One of the most commonly heard names is Baldur's Gate 2. Recently an 'enhanced edition' arrived on scene. We take a look at how the new edition meets a new generation of gamers in today's RPG Files. Read on and then let us know about your BG2 memories and experiences with the enhanced edition in the comments.

It's easy to fall into cliché when it comes to the Sword Coast's second videogame outing. I can almost catch myself bleating 'they don't make 'em like they used to' but this is a well served sentiment. Because literally, they do not make RPGs like this anymore. Bioware's original Forgotten Realm series is essentially Dungeons and Dragons ported into code: and by the pointy ears of elven gods is it spectacular.

Read more of Adam Tingle's RPG Files: Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition: D&D Perfection.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Has the entire gamer generation turned into a bunch of cheapasses?

How in the world could someone claim this is not worth $25 and then turn around and spend $60 on some tripe like diablo 3?  Or Mass Effect 1-3.  Most single player games nowadays have AT BEST 15 hours of singe player game time, 25 if you really milk it.  BG2+Throne of Bhaal was over 200 hours, even for enthusiasts.

Oh, but you say you can get it on GOG for $10!!!!.  Well, prepare to spend many hours dealing with random bugs, incompatibilities, etc.  Lets also not forget that its not formatted for modern computers, etc.

So, the real cost here is $15.  Think about that next time you buy lunch at California Pizza Kitchen or some other restaurant and you will realize that its not at all a lot of money.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

It was great for its time. So was Ultima 4, 5 and 7...and Never Winter Nights. Doesn't mean I am going to by a new version of it with slightly better graphics.

I would only recommend it for those that never played it before, providing they have an open mind to older games.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    while i agree with your conclusion i do not with your assumption that value can be derived alone by the duration of a game...if this was true you could also argue that battlefield 4 has fantastic value since you can play 500 hours in multiplayer...
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    while i agree with your conclusion i do not with your assumption that value can be derived alone by the duration of a game...if this was true you could also argue that battlefield 4 has fantastic value since you can play 500 hours in multiplayer...

Value exists at the intersection of quality and quantity.  Sure, 10 great hours give better value than 500 terrible ones, but a combination of 50 bloody fantastic hours with another 150 pretty good hours beats either.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Never played a Baldur's Gate rpg, but I've heard it mentioned positively enough to know they were good. I was too young at the time and since I've had a graphical requirement stick up my ass and been unable to stand many of the older games I missed.

The rpg's that captivated me as a kid were KOTOR 1 & 2 without a doubt, as well as Morrowind. My first mmo was at the age of 9 and it was Runescape Classic, since then I've played over 20 other mmo's for the past 13 years. A bit of an addiction I must say, as I struggle to go long periods of time without playing an mmo, I just love the escape I suppose (I'm a dreamer).

In terms of the worth of a game, I do tend to agree that if you get 50-100+ hours out of a game you've gotten your money's worth. Though rpg's, shooters, mmo's, and rts's game-time will always vary so it's hard to put an exact number to it.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
           I still remember a few points of BG2, most of them firsts in RPGs I'd played since 1980.  Owning a whole keep that generated rent, that I had to clear out a bunch of tough ass trolls for.  Suddenly getting hit on by a female party member, then almost immediately getting approached by another.  Having to chose between them because they started fighting over me.  Iconic fights with monsters I knew about from having D&D books as a kid but never really playing D&D, (Mind flayers and Beholders)   Then progressing to a godlike level, ascending to godhood and the bittersweet ending.   All in all, it was pretty epic, back in the day.

/edit: and I still remember the characters too which says something, since I played it once over ten years ago.  I'll probably dish out 17-25$ to play it again, not like any other game has my attention right now.

/edit:  I remember most of the companion characters too, which says a lot considering I played it once over 10 years ago, and when I consider that I could play it completely differently, maybe be evil, or maybe pick the other girl, I'll probably drop 17-25 dollars.    But yeah, I liked Planescape even more, best story ever, arguably.   Arguably, because you discover the story, which is great, by your own effort.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Still waiting for them to do Icewind Dale...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Already purchased both enhanced editions. Played them as a kid and they were amazing, and after a few hours playing EE it's clear they have held up really well. Waiting for the enhanced Planescape: Torment. Still haven't played that one at all. I actually owned it way back when but the combat was such a mess I gave up on it almost immediately. I would love a second chance at it.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Baldur's Gate 2 is my favorite game of all time, ALL TIME. But i played it from head to toe for like ten times back in my golden gaming days so 25 is too much, 15 bucks max. Gonna wait for a steam sale at %75 at least. Sorry, blame the conversion rates.

Oh btw, next, Torment EE please! It needs it the most.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I actually never touched Baldurs Gate 2, because i didn't like the first one all that much. It was both amazing and incredibly boring at the same time, and stuff like the negative armor values put me off back then.

So i skipped BG2, and went straight for NWN later, which i enjoyed the hell out ouf it - and nearly as much out of NWN2. Both, though especially NWN2 somehow always get the short stick when talking about Bioware's good old times.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    if this was true you could also argue that battlefield 4 has fantastic value since you can play 500 hours in multiplayer...

That is a perfectly valid argument.  The problem is you're making the assumption that every game with only 10 or 20 hours are all 10 or 20 awesome hours, and that any game with 100's of hours are all worthless no fun hours. The Difference is 150+ out of those 200 are bloody fantastic hours, and the other 50 are maybe just "ok".  There is no part of that game that is *bad*.

To the guy who skipped BG2 due to being too young but liked KOTOR.  BG2 makes KOTOR look like a piece of crap when it comes to gameplay/story, etc.  And KOTOR is one of my all time favorite games.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    BG1 Enhanced Edition was arguably a step down from the original, given the lack of online play. Hopefully BG2 is actually enhanced this time.
  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Android.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Has the entire gamer generation turned into a bunch of cheapasses?

How in the world could someone claim this is not worth $25 and then turn around and spend $60 on some tripe like diablo 3?  Or Mass Effect 1-3.  Most single player games nowadays have AT BEST 15 hours of singe player game time, 25 if you really milk it.  BG2+Throne of Bhaal was over 200 hours, even for enthusiasts.

Oh, but you say you can get it on GOG for $10!!!!.  Well, prepare to spend many hours dealing with random bugs, incompatibilities, etc.  Lets also not forget that its not formatted for modern computers, etc.

So, the real cost here is $15.  Think about that next time you buy lunch at California Pizza Kitchen or some other restaurant and you will realize that its not at all a lot of money.

GOG version should work fine up to and including windows 8.  Also during the frequent sales you can get the complete d&d pack including baldurs gate 1&2 for less than $25.  Both are drm free.

• MirandelMirandel Member UncommonPosts: 143

If you talk about BG2 refreshed with EE you might mention original BG completely re-made on NwN2 engine: Baldur's Gate Reloaded - your BG in 3D - http://games.on.net/2013/07/mod-spotlight-a-closer-look-at-the-hugely-impressive-baldurs-gate-reloaded/

http://kotaku.com/holy-hell-this-guy-re-created-all-of-baldurs-gate-in-511489475

Tremendous work and absolutely free if you care about that particular point.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376

I loved BG2!

Unfortunately, after all these years, "you can't go home again". I believe playing this again will be  huge letdown.  But if it is your thing great!

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    The original game plus mods is a much better experience. 
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    BG II was my first true RPG love.  It remained my favorite RPG of all time until I played Dragon Age: Origins.  It is hard to go back again though, since these games are now very dated.  I know, because I am trying to play Planescape Torment, which I missed the first time around, but the graphics make it feel like I am wading through cobwebs and dust up to my armpits.  I would throw down $60 right now to play Planescape with the graphics of Mass Effect 3, since many people say it is the best RPG story of all time.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• MnemnosyneMnemnosyne Member UncommonPosts: 8

If you don't already own it in some form or another, I don't see how $25 is at all a 'hefty' price point for the game, especially immediately after heaping praise upon it. 

Sure, to those of us who already own it (possibly twice or more in different formats), $25 feels a bit steep.  But as a standalone product for someone who has never played it before and doesn't already own it?  I can't see how $25 is steep at all; I'd say it's incredibly low-priced, and would not be at all unfair at $40 to $60.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    BG series was one of my least favorite RPGs. Icewind Dale series, the old gold series, and Neverwinter Nights. Beat them all, and played them all multiple times. Just couldn't get into BG. Glad others can relive their joy. $25 is just too steep for me for an old game that I wrote off well over a decade ago.
    Originally posted by Mnemnosyne

If you don't already own it in some form or another, I don't see how $25 is at all a 'hefty' price point for the game, especially immediately after heaping praise upon it. 

Sure, to those of us who already own it (possibly twice or more in different formats), $25 feels a bit steep.  But as a standalone product for someone who has never played it before and doesn't already own it?  I can't see how $25 is steep at all; I'd say it's incredibly low-priced, and would not be at all unfair at $40 to $60.

Obviously i agree with you.  All this thread has done is convince me that i'm right.  People are basically cheapasses.

I want everyone on here thats complaining about it being a bad value to think about BG2:EE every time you pay $2.50 for an energy drink, or you pay $4 for coffee at starbucks.  Or next time you spend $6 on that german imported beer you love so much.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Mnemnosyne

Obviously i agree with you.  All this thread has done is convince me that i'm right.  People are basically cheapasses.

I want everyone on here thats complaining about it being a bad value to think about BG2:EE every time you pay $2.50 for an energy drink, or you pay $4 for coffee at starbucks.  Or next time you spend $6 on that german imported beer you love so much. Or that $7.99 you spent for that super cool armor set in DOTA 2, or whatever.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Has the interface been reworked? 

I tried BG 2 years ago, and the troglodite interface was enough to force me to quit pretty quick.    D&D rules was another minus.  The game has to be tremendous to get me to put up with a bad, unmodifiable ui, haphazard rules, etc;  and as good as BG2 is reputed to be, it wasn't enough to get me to play.    

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MikkhailMikkhail Member Posts: 21
    Best RPG I ever played ... By far ... This was back before a service tracked your hours, but I know I spent months on this game ... Simply brilliant ... If you are a pure RPG fan play this. Modern RPGs (for the most part) are crap ... This was Bioware at its height.
  • Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Some of the developers are currently working on a so called spiritual successor to the infinity engine games, titled Project Eternity. It should be launched around Q2 next year.