Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter : Game of the Year /vote

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Personally, I am going with no, I couldn't log out of it fast enough.

what would be you alternative to MMO : GotY ?

Oh, I don't know...pick any other 2013 launch out of a hat, and chances are it was better.  Neverwinter is a disgrace to the Dungeons and Dragons universe.  

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This just goes to show how out of touch I am with the mmorpg.com gamer. I love this game. Of all the games released this year I voted yes.

I'm having fun in Neverwinter, Eldevin, and the EQ2 expansion.

It's not that you're out of touch, it's that most answering this question didn't like NW, so by default it deserves no recognition.

I hated it, but it's a yes or no poll ( really) so even people who liked the game but don't think it's the best will still vote no. So the landslide doesn't indicate who didn't like it, just who doesn't think it's the best.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

When we say game of the year are we referring to MMO of the year, or actual Game of the year?

I'd say i enjoyed what I saw of FFXIV a little more than what I saw in NW. As for overall game, my vote would be GTA5. I was really hoping Total War: Rome 2 and Xrebirth would be better releases than they were.  I do say Rome is shaping up a bit recently, the DLC is really annoying me.  Pay for blood and gore? Come on now...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This just goes to show how out of touch I am with the mmorpg.com gamer. I love this game. Of all the games released this year I voted yes.

I'm having fun in Neverwinter, Eldevin, and the EQ2 expansion.

It's not that you're out of touch, it's that most answering this question didn't like NW, so by default it deserves no recognition.

I hated it, but it's a yes or no poll ( really) so even people who liked the game but don't think it's the best will still vote no. So the landslide doesn't indicate who didn't like it, just who doesn't think it's the best.

I was referring to the posts in the thread not the poll. I voted no as well.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

When we say game of the year are we referring to MMO of the year, or actual Game of the year?

I'd say i enjoyed what I saw of FFXIV a little more than what I saw in NW. As for overall game, my vote would be GTA5. I was really hoping Total War: Rome 2 and Xrebirth would be better releases than they were.  I do say Rome is shaping up a bit recently, the DLC is really annoying me.  Pay for blood and gore? Come on now...

Rome 2 was my disappointment of the year

I was expecting another Rome Total War in which I could ditch hundreds of hours in on a immersive campaign with family trees and etc...

What I found was the streamlining and simplification of what was one of my favorite franchises that I couldn't play for even 10 hours

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by dinams

Rome 2 was my disappointment of the year

I was expecting another Rome Total War in which I could ditch hundreds of hours in on a immersive campaign with family trees and etc...

What I found was the streamlining and simplification of what was one of my favorite franchises that I couldn't play for even 10 hours

Yeah, pretty much how I felt, it's still okay for a modern strategy title, it's just in no way a reflection of Rome or BI. It really felt like a MOD for Shogun 2 to me.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Another thing that is pretty terrible about Neverwinter is how P2W it is. 
  • Hero_AlphaHero_Alpha Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wushu, it saved 2013 for me. It's an original.

I have to agree, when it comes to 2013 Wushu it is.

playing:DCUO,GW2,WoW
    played:SWG,LotRO,CoH,GW,FF14,ESO,AlbionOnline

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

@OP  let it go dude.....you asked, you got your answers, quit trying to change people's minds and challenging their opinions.

Just saying, don't ask a question, if you cant accept the answers.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I getting a feeling it is because it is under PWE that it has a stigma of just being another asain clone of a clone.

I know people post hate against certain companies a lot, but I doubt that many people would refuse to play a game they found was fun, even if it was with a company they didn't like.  I know I wouldn't.  I don't like a lot of the modern mmos, but I won't discount anything, no matter who makes it.

Not a fan of the left/right mouse buttons being your main combat buttons, I think it trivializes the mouse as a tool.  Also dislike the move to limiting abilities, it makes classes feel dull.  Some people like it and think it makes it more action packed and it comes to life....For action combat, I like the UI of TSW more, even though people dislike the animations as a critique, I found their mix to be done well.

Also, not a huge fan of all the telegraphing, but it looks to be here to stay.  I would rather learn to fight mobs/bosses without the telegraphing shaded areas, maybe by a mobs smaller movements. 

These are just my opinions though, seems people like it, and they like what I dislike...  I did try it though.

I'm the opposite.  I love the mouse bound to firing skills. I also like the small skill bar rotation cause it makes pvp minigame feel epic. Also think the animations are well done in Neverewinter as well. Special effects on par for a game of it's size.

I'm a person who can adapted to almost any UI , and I will never use that as a negative towards a game developer simply because it is a personal preference. If I was stubborn about interfaces, I still be playing Half Life. :).

Nothing felt too epic about it to me, seemed simple, and I don't need a bunch of flash or effects to keep my attention.  I use anything I do not find fun and weigh it against things I do find fun...NW, I didn't have any positives that are game breakers or makers for me.  Graphics, as long as decent do not keep me enthralled.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Celcius

Being that I only bought character slots and yet annilating people in minigames, I;n not seeing this at all. Can we stop with the stereotypes and actually talk about the game, that is if you played it... I here to discuss games with knwledge of actually have played them, not by the wispersof the grape vine.

Uhm, you were here because you seem to love NW, and made a poll, then when it turns out that less than 10% of the people share your view, you want to argue that they are wrong, make snide remarks, or accuse people of working for some gamer magazine that I guess doesn't like NW. 

Being that I only bought character slots and yet annilating people in minigames, I;n not seeing this at all. Can we stop with the stereotypes and actually talk about the game, that is if you played it... I here to discuss games with knwledge of actually have played them, not by the wispersof the grape vine.

And yet, since all T2 gear is traded, someone can go buy all that by just using the cash bought currency. If that is not P2W, nothing is. 

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

This is probably the only year the best game of the year could be just a few votes away from being the worst game of the year.

I enjoyed Neverwinter for 3-4 days but after that I couldn't get myself to log in anymore. Just like every game nowadays it's too easy even though it's not as easy as FF IV that I actually started to play today. I only got to level 12 in FF so it might get better but in Neverwinter you sometimes had to be careful in some zones. I like that. But still too easy. I am not as impressed of the class-system as the open poster is. To me it felt like you had one way to go and that's it.

But the thing I hated the most is how linear it is. You go from one spot to another and the zones were not very big.

But in lack of competition and since I haven't played FF long enough to see if it's good or not then I vote for Neverwinter. But it's been a terrible year and I am just longing for a game that can make me want to log in more than a couple of times. Like a mix of:

DAOC - extremely fun PVP. A lot of classes! I hate new games that only have like 5-6 classes. So boring.

RIFT - RIFTs class-system. That class-system was very fun. A lot of different ways to go.

WOW - PVE.

When games aim for only PVP or only PVE they get boring fast. When games have too few classes everybody look and play the same in the end which is extremely boring. Atleast for me. I hope 2014 will be a good year but I doubt it. Wildstar looks somewhat interesting but too few classes. TESO has some great ideas but I am no fan of the FPS type of combat. Archeage seems to have some great ideas as well but I don't know enough about it to be excited.

Originally posted by lindhsky

This is probably the only year the best game of the year could be just a few votes away from being the worst game of the year.

I enjoyed Neverwinter for 3-4 days but after that I couldn't get myself to log in anymore. Just like every game nowadays it's too easy even though it's not as easy as FF IV that I actually started to play today. I only got to level 12 in FF so it might get better but in Neverwinter you sometimes had to be careful in some zones. I like that. But still too easy. I am not as impressed of the class-system as the open poster is. To me it felt like you had one way to go and that's it.

But the thing I hated the most is how linear it is. You go from one spot to another and the zones were not very big.

But in lack of competition and since I haven't played FF long enough to see if it's good or not then I vote for Neverwinter. But it's been a terrible year and I am just longing for a game that can make me want to log in more than a couple of times. Like a mix of:

DAOC - extremely fun PVP. A lot of classes! I hate new games that only have like 5-6 classes. So boring.

RIFT - RIFTs class-system. That class-system was very fun. A lot of different ways to go.

WOW - PVE.

When games aim for only PVP or only PVE they get boring fast. When games have too few classes everybody look and play the same in the end which is extremely boring. Atleast for me. I hope 2014 will be a good year but I doubt it. Wildstar looks somewhat interesting but too few classes. TESO has some great ideas but I am no fan of the FPS type of combat. Archeage seems to have some great ideas as well but I don't know enough about it to be excited.

Yep. The game is just a lobby dungeon finding game once you hit max level. There is no point to even leave town. The leveling zones are all pointless at max level which is quite a shame considering how small the game already is. 

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I'm wondering if people even like Character progression anymore ? I've personally havent found a fantasy game with half of the progression that Neverwnter is housing ?

MAybe a new thread? What does character progression mean to the modern mmorpg player ?

It seems like you keep trying to change the question if people don't agree with you...

The animations are okay, that's about it, for me. The rest of the game is a poor MMO lite cash shop bonanza that's using a well known I.P. name to hook  people into their premium cash shop, ala like every other PWE game.

If it's voting year, I abstain.  However MMO success isn't decided by voting so i can state my opinion. 

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Is Neverewinter the best game to launch in 2013 ?

You must be joking.

It's Christmas not April Fools.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Uhm, you were here because you seem to love NW, and made a poll, then when it turns out that less than 10% of the people share your view, you want to argue that they are wrong, make snide remarks, or accuse people of working for some gamer magazine that I guess doesn't like NW. 

Sarcaasm is a trait I was sadly born with.  I forget that people are to the "T" literal on these forums when it comes to comprehention.

No sarcasm is an art that almost never translates well into text. Literal is sort of implied in all text communication.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Personally, I am going with no, I couldn't log out of it fast enough.

Oh, I don't know...pick any other 2013 launch out of a hat, and chances are it was better.  Neverwinter is a disgrace to the Dungeons and Dragons universe.  

How ?

Well, first of all, action combat has no business being in a D & D MMO.  None, whatsoever.  Second of all, the cash shop in this game is one of the most intrusive I've ever seen.  It's absolutely embarrassing.  Those two points alone are enough to turn off most gamers...which they have, btw.  Then you add in the clunky gameplay, the sub-par graphics, and the extreme linear quality of the game, and it was enough to turn me off  of the game after a couple of hours of play.    And hell, I'm not even critiquing the heavy instancing in this case because I'd expect that kind of thing from a D & D based game, anyway. 

And no, don't tell me I didn't play the game enough to give an accurate assessment of it.  It doesn't take long to recognize a sub-par game when you see one.  This feels like a game that they weren't originally planning on making an MMO.  Then, at the last second, they decided to turn it into one.  Only problem is it has ZERO MMO features.  It's a glorified lobby game that is heavily dependent on the cash shop.  The Foundry, which is the game's best feature,  is a nice idea, but doesn't seem to be particularly well-executed and looks to be too limiting in what you can do.  

DDO, which is not one of my favorite MMOs, and is very dated at this point, is a far superior game to this one if you want a D & D feel.  

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Absolutely not.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

PvE was boring. PvP unbalanced - first one shot wins.  Issues are never addressed.

Game was fun for about 2 or 3 weeks. I gave up when it was clear they'd rather add cash shops items instead of fix the issues. I spent about 60 dollars on the game at release. So, I'm not a f2p hater. Just hate games that don't respond to glaring issues in a reasonable time frame. Did they ever fix the bot issue that pretty much killed PvP? Not to mention at level 50 everyone just one shot each other. PvE was just a disgrace.