Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter : Game of the Year /vote

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

This was a bad year for MMOs maybe the worst since the genre was birthed.

But I'd pick Age of Wushu over neverwinter in every way followed by FFXIV:AAR which I would count as releasing this year because it relaunched as an entirely new game.

I'd also put Path of Exile above Neverwinter if your definition is loose enough to call that an MMO which I know a lot of people do.

Neverwinter was a typical Cryptic game since the split from CoX....fun for a very short time but ultimately very shallow but cheap and quick to produce,.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

I'm wondering if people even like Character progression anymore ? I've personally havent found a fantasy game with half of the progression that Neverwnter is housing ?

MAybe a new thread? What does character progression mean to the modern mmorpg player ?

Sure i love character progression, but Neverwinter is simply not a good game in my opinion.  I don't like the game, the company, the mechanics, the progression, or anything to do with the game.  Game of the Year?  No way.  It may be GoY to you and those who play it heavily, but not to a lot of the rest of us.  

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I am not going to vote...

Because there was only one AAA MMO released this year... and that was neverwinter which kinda dissaointed me..

FF XiV does not quallify as a release as it was a rerelease.. And was a dissapointment too..

2013 was a dissapointing MMo year... Only the latest LOTRO expansion was something i enjoyed..

And the fact that SWTOR keeps improving..

Neverwinters class design was way to minimalistic to make them interesting to play, Neverwinters generic level design didnt add anything new..  And the neverwinter foundry could have been so much better if it would have allowed people to script bosses and encounters ... and have different loot tables to choose from/ encounter..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

There are some years that NO one qualifies for game of the year..  or "anything" of the year..  Last two games I played where Rift and SWTOR.. and both started off a false belief of success, only to be let down a month later, when you realize you played this game before..  Deja vu..

If you have to give away a game as F2P to get people to spend time on your product, you are off to a bad start..  I"m an avid golfer and I can't begin to imagine a  course that is FREE to play, in hopes you buy a dog and a soda at the turn to stay in business.   LOL  

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Most years the best choice really is 'None of the above'

Wish they'd add that as a choice on this site.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

[quote][i]Originally posted by Phry[/i] [b]If i had to choose a game for GOTY, i'd probably say FFXIV;ARR simply because it has achieved such a radical turnaround from its first release, and its a game i am still really enjoying. Neverwinter though, i don't even know why it would be considered a contender, a lot of the previous posters have also pointed out better games, and i would agree that PoE is definitely far superior to Neverwinter, despite the fact that im not that keen on PoE myself, FFXIV;ARR though, as a game that was re-released this year, is imo, a clear winner [/b][/quote]

I would agree with you. FFXIV ARR is a re-release, but Yoshi has done a great job with the new version! The only other mmo of 2013 I would even consider would be Defiance. Neverwinter fails on so many levels. The biggest failure for me is it in no way captures the D&D feel, gameplay or adventure that should be D&D. Drop the D&D off it and it becomes a "dollar store mmo".

• raiders95raiders95 Member Posts: 19

I voted no for different reasons.. I played this game and imho it's a pay to win game.

High end T2 dungeon are for those who accepted to buy a stone / cat which buffed your gear score.. otherwise you get kicked from the group or not even selected.

They say that a gear score of xxx is enough to be able to do a T2 dungeon but nobody will take you if you don't have +2/3k more.

They implemented a new class (ranger) but they did not even have the good idea to update the T1 dungeon loot table... even worse not later than 1 week after the release of this new class, they applied a patch which nerfed 2 of the most used skills of Rangers.. and they didn't not even bother giving a free respec token to people..

How can you nerf 2 of the most used skills after so many weeks of testing the class son the test server etc. ?

Sorry but from my point of view  they do not deserve such title.

They're just trying to make money the fastest  way which would be as long as they provide a good game etc. but it's not 100% the case.

As I said, it'll cheaper to  pay a monthly fee on any other mmo than playing such so called F2P mmo.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by raiders95

I voted no for different reasons.. I played this game and imho it's a pay to win game.

High end T2 dungeon are for those who accepted to buy a stone / cat which buffed your gear score.. otherwise you get kicked from the group or not even selected.

They say that a gear score of xxx is enough to be able to do a T2 dungeon but nobody will take you if you don't have +2/3k more.

That's hardly unique to this game is it?  People who build PUG's don't want to take risk so they will demand that they stack the group with people who are wearing gear equal to or better than what drops from the zone.  That and they want people who know every encounter by heart and can speed run though the zone.

As for Neverwinter being MMO GOTY, why not?  I can't really point to a deserving new title this year although I would probably give it to FFXIV over Neverwinter because of the cash shop.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    When I read the title I thought this was satire.  Is the OP serious?
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If this wins goty it really is a low point in the genre. ffIV should win over this simply because it's actually an mmo, not a ...whatever you want to call this over instanced shopping mall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    "Game of the year" for MMO is pretty silly when there arent that many that have released this year. If you are going to consider an MMO for GOTY it should include all currently released MMOs. If you did want a game that will win for GOTY, as far as releases this year go; that reward clearly belongs to FFXIV-Reborn. But MMO releases this year have been pretty much garbage across the board anyways. 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Neverwinters class design was way to minimalistic

So a game that has more character progression choices then LotRO, Vanguard, EQ2, Tera, Rift is minimalist ?

Please explain ?

You seriously think that Neverwinter has more character progression choices then EQ2 and LOTRO? You pick a base class. You pick a talent set. You pick your talents. Boom, done. After that there is no more character progression choice other then grinding for the same set of gear everyone else is grinding for. While most MMOS end up with characters going for the same gear; it is not always the only option. Both EQ2 and LOTRO have progression when you hit level cap outside of items. Rift does as well come to think of it..

Neverwinter barely has any character progression after you max out. I mean, you spend a few days pvping to get the best gear you can before diving into T2 dungeons and maxing out there in a few days. Its not difficult. From what I have seen this has not changed much (at all?) since launch. I will give one thing to Neverwinter: The gameplay is well done. 

• EriccomptonEriccompton Member UncommonPosts: 51
    GotY? Seriously? I don't know why this game even has character creation since you can't even SCROLL IN the camera to see what you look like 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Let's just say there is a reason it's F2P.

You make me like charity

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Ahahahahahaaaaaa! No.
  • raiders95raiders95 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by raiders95

That's hardly unique to this game is it?  People who build PUG's don't want to take risk so they will demand that they stack the group with people who are wearing gear equal to or better than what drops from the zone.  That and they want people who know every encounter by heart and can speed run though the zone.

As for Neverwinter being MMO GOTY, why not?  I can't really point to a deserving new title this year although I would probably give it to FFXIV over Neverwinter because of the cash shop.

Sadly you're wrong, if you play this game you know that T2 are available once you hit 8300 gear score.

Show me how you do all T2 with a group full of 8300 and then I'll change my mind.

Dungoen are badly designed, most of the time the fight tactic are ridiculous, tank agro adds and kite dozens of them while dps stay on boss.

And you want to give the "mmo of the year" title to such game ? honest ?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I vote Final Fantasy XIV ARR
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Even if Neverwinter deserved the title (which it doesn't) what being the best game of the worst year for mmos since the genre was born speaks about the game?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This just goes to show how out of touch I am with the mmorpg.com gamer. I love this game. Of all the games released this year I voted yes.

I'm having fun in Neverwinter, Eldevin, and the EQ2 expansion.

It's not that you're out of touch, it's that most answering this question didn't like NW, so by default it deserves no recognition.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Scot
    Perhaps a list of games where we vote for game of the year would have been fairer?

Not to sure on your logic with that statement. Its probably one of the most straight forward polls Ive seen on here.

Its not out a group of games he picked so that the answer is titled towards picking NW. Either you think its good enough for game of the year, or you dont.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."