Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] OK if not TSW, what's your favorite combat system?

OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Okay TSW combat haters, you've been pretty loud about what you dislike.   Now tell us what combat games you think are great. Vote below or add your own!

if you are feeling talkative tell us why.

Comments

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    personally i like the AoC one, if only they had the money to beef up the speed / feel then it would simply be the best, the fact that to a point its intuitive and can make a difference in a close fight rocks in my house :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• esty17esty17 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    +1 for AOC
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Ffxi
  • stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Seeing as the list also includes single player games, my vote easily goes to Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Well not having anything against TSW's combat specifically, I will say most modern MMOs overemphasize melee combat. Realistically, it's just not that common when one of the combatants is holding a firearm.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Dark Souls

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

gw2 without the limits on the amount of dodging you can do would be my vote!

After all, you don't see gymnasts pausing between spins and turns etc!!!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wushu, block button, true rock paper scissor, and all the different ways to move.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NineFuriesNineFuries Member Posts: 33

Throwing my vote in for AoC as well.  One of the best combat systems I've ever had the pleasure of playing.  Collision detection +combos+fatalities.  No other MMO can even come close.  If only funcom had decided on a pvp focus instead of the pve crap Craig morrison made the game into.

While not without its faults the game simply was extremely fun to pvp in and around the first year (until patch 1.03 i think) the game was largely skill based.  This was apparent by several players who could just demolish anyone without good gear and what not.  Now if you were a caster class you didn't get to experience the true beauty of the combat system which largely was for melee.  Even the fatalities were much more varied for the melee weapons.

No other mmo ive played has come close to the time I could literally get lost in playng AoC combat.  When the game first came out there were no npc OP guards at each entrance/exit.  You could choose to be a jerk and go gank lowbies if you wanted.  This would cause them to call in their higher lvl friends or get their mains on and huge battles would erupt spontaneously.  This was a great way to get involved in world pvp that was so organic you literally could spend hours and hours just in these sort of battles because a friend got ganked by some jerks or what not.

When Craig come on the scene all that changed and the pve carebears were held by the hand everywhere so as not to hurt their precious feelings.  Despite the fact that it was supposed to be the "brutal" world of hyboria.

Now that game only has the most dedicated fans playing it and the grind happy pve carebears.  What a joke.  I tried to get into TSW and seems like a great game pve wise but the combat is totally bland.  I'm still not sure why they went to such effort in AoC to get motion capture animations and fatalities only to make it a pve game.  Obviously this was scrapped for TSW.  And overall I do not have a high opinion of funcom based on their handling of the game in AoC and their customer service.  Now for those who have followed the game, the original directior Gaute Godiger...something like that had a total pvp focus and his vision for the game seemed to go along more with the actual world of hyboria as created by REH but craig morrison just wanted to make another wow clone with conan skin.

(yawn) we all see the success in that you morons.  FUCKING innovate for once and at least have the balls to follow the original concept of the game you fairies.

/rant over

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I'd say AoC or Tera.  But Wildstar is pretty great, too.  
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    Ffxi

+1.  I chose WoW, but I really liked the slow pace of FFXI.

• galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81
    If NCSoft/A-Net had used the Guild Wars combat system in Guild Wars 2 I'd have said GW2. But since they didn't I chose "Other" because GW's combat was just so much better. You had very diverse builds, fun 8vs8 PvP(HA/GvG), and skills not bound to weapons. Only things GW was missing was non-instancing and jumping.

• thundergodtthundergodt Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Dragon Nest, Tera and AoC in that order.
  • MNKyDethMNKyDeth Member Posts: 1

I mostly play games with combat like, Tera, Savage: The Battle for newerth, Dark Souls and Demon Souls. 

I really enjoy the lock on aspect of the Souls games, but if you can up your game you don't need to lock on to people and that is what I enjoy best about Tera and Savage. 

I also really enjoyed the short lived Tabula Rasa.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

you did not give an option for all of the above.

what were the testers of this game thinking,idiots.

worst combat ever,I hope someone learned at least a lesson.

gameplay,graffix and story are most important then everything else and kill 5 rats is out.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

If your talking MMORPGs then AoC had the best combat system it's just that the rest of the game was lackluster or just broken in the first year.

If your talking RPGs then probably fallout 1/2 or Dark Souls for real time action.

If your talking any game then the Batman Arkham Series for real time and X-com turn based.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I do wish more games had AoC's fatality system.  I didn't even have to be on a quest or get exp, it was fun to just watch me "scissor" someone's head off with my dual blades :D
  • Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

AOC as well i like the smart positioning i wish they made a better shield system it was quite static but overall AOC is stil lthe best

but combat is never the thing that make me choose a MMORPG or i would still be on AOC what i want in meaningfull PVP/story/lore and RP

combat is one of the things like crafting if is well done cool but you dont pick a game for a crafting system.

(l loved DDO as well but beeing only PVE i am not sure it worked good in PVP)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Mine would be Fable.  It's a mix of all the above.  It is a mix of tab targeting but with hack n slash abilities.  You are also not over run with controls and commands that you are still able to use a controller.  I personally like using a mouse and keyboard but it is a nice option to be able to use one!

I know that wasn't an MMO but I feel it could be implemented well.  As far as my favourite MMO scheme I would have to say GW2 comes close to my favourite combat system.  Not too clunky, sleek, simple.  It is a bit too simple at times but it works in the end.  TERA's was great as well though I didn't get to experience it too much as the game never held my attention.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• artyportartyport Member Posts: 16

Tera wasn't a geat game.

It wasnt even a good game.

BUT!  it had some great combat. 

Watch people duel in that game. It looks like what real FANTASY battling would look like. 

Blocks. Combos. Dodging. 

I like guild wars 2. BUT if it would have chosen to go the tera route of combat. I dont believe that any of us would be talking about another game.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Age of Conan, best combat system by a long shot

And a distant second: Dragon's Prophet

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Easy. Monkey Islands insult sword fighting by far. :)

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

For a game like TSW that uses a lot of ranged combat? 

This comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    AGE OF CONAN but with better server side technology and a better ping for EU countries
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I voted Bioshock, because I liked it, but I think I liked the combat in the MechWarrior games better.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.