Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Telltale to do a warcraft game

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

... no not really but would it not be cool?

With the recent announcement of Borderland and GoT games I think a Warcraft (not world of warcraft) game would be nice, harks back to the cancelled warcraft point and click adventure game ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_Adventures:_Lord_of_the_Clans ).

Sadly I think Blizzard are a little too protective of their IP to let it happen.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

I don't think its Blizzard being protective over it's IP's, it's just that Blizzard make the best games with their IP's, why would they want to pay another company to make a game for them?

Regardless of what people say, Blizzard is one of the best gaming companies going, almost on par with Nintendo for their catalogue of well recieved games. 

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Honestly the stuff that has been coming out of Telltale of late barely qualifies as a game. You could pick up any of the myriad WoW books, pretend there was a QTE every hundred pages, and get basically the same effect as what TT would do.

Telltale has managed to go beyond 'dumbed down' and into lobotomized  territory, and has racked in the GoTY accolades for it. Sad to see, they used to do some really good adventure games, but I guess I can't blame them for going where the money is, even if that means making a 'game' that literally needs no meaningful input from the... "player".

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Myria

Honestly the stuff that has been coming out of Telltale of late barely qualifies as a game. You could pick up any of the myriad WoW books, pretend there was a QTE every hundred pages, and get basically the same effect as what TT would do.

Telltale has managed to go beyond 'dumbed down' and into lobotomized  territory, and has racked in the GoTY accolades for it. Sad to see, they used to do some really good adventure games, but I guess I can't blame them for going where the money is, even if that means making a 'game' that literally needs no meaningful input from the... "player".

You haven't really played TellTale game before have you? It's a game in it's own right, essentially interactive story telling where your decisions affect where the story goes. I hadn't even heard of them till I randomly picked up The Walking Dead some time ago, and I was hooked. I look forward to the next episodes of season two. No need to dub it as "dumbed down" and "lobotomized" just because it isn't the style of gaming you enjoy. 

Anyways, it's Blizzard's IP. If they don't want to let another company use it, so be it. It would be nice to see a Warcraft one though. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I still remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqJ9W_E3jI

Too bad it was cancelled.  I think Telltale would do a good job of story telling even if the game is too simple.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I still remember this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqJ9W_E3jI

Too bad it was cancelled.  I think Telltale would do a good job of story telling even if the game is too simple.

Nice didn't realise there was game play footage.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    IF they thought their was money to be made from it, they would probably just make it themselves.  Blizzard dumbs things down for the masses, just fine on their own.  They did it with EQ (WoW), Magic the Gathering (Hearthstone), so no reason they couldn't do this type of game.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Thanks for the misleading thread.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Well, Blizzard DID consider making the kind of game Telltale games would make a while ago and decided that it wasn't quite up to their regular standards (but still used the story to make a book), so I honstly doubt this would ever come to pass.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Unless they hired an all new development team for the project, Blizzard would fail miserably at a Telltale style game.  Telltale games are 99% story, and Blizzard games have never had a high enough quality story to carry a game without being dribbled out between lots and lots of hack and slash.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Malacth

I don't think its Blizzard being protective over it's IP's, it's just that Blizzard make the best games with their IP's, why would they want to pay another company to make a game for them?

Regardless of what people say, Blizzard is one of the best gaming companies going, almost on par with Nintendo for their catalogue of well recieved games. 

Because they are not the best at the types of games telltale makes, thats why.  Blizzard is good at making RTS and Actions RPGs.  Same reason why Gearbox is letting Telltale do what they best do with the borderlands IP while they make the first person shooter rpg.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Because they are not the best at the types of games telltale makes, thats why.  Blizzard is good at making RTS and Actions RPGs.  Same reason why Gearbox is letting Telltale do what they best do with the borderlands IP while they make the first person shooter rpg.

RTS, Action RPG's AND MMORPG's. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Blizzard wasn't an MMORPG developer either until they decided to make one. They weren't a trading card game company either until they made one...

Blizzard can make anything they put their minds to. They don't half ass things like some companies do.

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    sure, would be interesting. although i have to say, after having played a number of telltale games, it is becoming boring. and the content empties waaaaayyyyy too fast. e.g. the new walking dead season 2, ep1, I was through in like 2 hours? sure, it doesn't cost much, but still....

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Blizzard is the single most succesfull pc gaming company...  Ever since the orriginal warcraft game evry one of their games has been a mega seller...  No single game of Blizzard ever failed in setting its mark on the gaming industry

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)