Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Aion: Steel Cavalry - An Update to Be Excited About

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Aion developers announced the Steel Cavalry content expansion that would include a brand new class among other things. We caught up with the team to chat about the update and much more. See what they had to say and then leave your reactions in the comments.

MMORPG.com: Steel Cavalry is another great free expansion for Aion players. What's the past year been like for Aion?

Sean Orlikowski, Assoc. Product Manager: We’re definitely excited for what the update means for the game.  Over the last year, we’ve added two entirely new and different classes to the game and that’s been a rewarding challenge.  The Aethertech will be the third, and for the moment, final new class added to the game when Steel Cavalry launches.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Aion: Steel Cavalry - An Update to Be Excited About.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TitaniaErzaTitaniaErza Member UncommonPosts: 1

I for one cant wait maybe i will come back  now that i will have something to do.

yahoo

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    I'm surprised Aion hasn't been shutdown. So I take it it has decent population in Europe and North America.
  • MithicorMithicor Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Fappuccino
    I'm surprised Aion hasn't been shutdown. So I take it it has decent population in Europe and North America.

A big plus for Aion is the fact that the majority of the game (except endgame) the servers have a merged shard that allows everyone to join at will and it gives increased xp incentives. This allows for easier grouping and makes it feel like a bigger community.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I do not wish doom to any game. I'm sure any game have a lot of players that love it. But ...after aprox. lv. 18 or 20 as I remember Aion was one of the worst craps out there. World record holder for spamming in chat. Not only, had to change Mastercard to stop them charging me. And there were many similar stories.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I had decently good fun returning to Aion this summer, did a lot of rifting and world pvp in the lower level zones was quite fair, you didn't have too many highlevel gankers.

Quit however due to researching the retarded European publisher's payment schemes.

NCsoft should,'t outsource the publishing there to third parties like Gameforge in europe.

Originally posted by daltanious

I do not wish doom to any game. I'm sure any game have a lot of players that love it. But ...after aprox. lv. 18 or 20 as I remember Aion was one of the worst craps out there. World record holder for spamming in chat. Not only, had to change Mastercard to stop them charging me. And there were many similar stories.

It's a lot better in terms of grind now, there are more quests and more content in general. I went to level 40 in slightly over a week of play.

There was still some grind, but overall it wasn't bad at all as I took it easy and went looking for world PvP, which was pretty good and easy to find.

Biggest problems with the game are the random chance elements with gear upgrades, crafting and endgame.
    Once I saw the kind of money the EU publisher was asking for shop items that are basically a lottery + the shit they were planning on pulling with selling €19 consumable keys which gave you a mere chance at something good from an endgame chest, I quit.

However, NCWest which runs the NA version (and which has this update, the EU version is behind) seems to be much more reasonable in its pricing.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    yeah, the NA publishers actually have a decent ftp model and item shoppe in aion (and l2 for that matterr).  I would put the model in the top three along with tera and rift.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Sure was one of the more hyped games that really let down the players by offering absolutely nothing new. I cant understand why people havent left this game either, but I guess we are all hungry for something....
  • chucky999chucky999 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Other then 2014, is there a ETA on Steel Cavalry NA?
  • MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Mitara
    Sure was one of the more hyped games that really let down the players by offering absolutely nothing new. I cant understand why people havent left this game either, but I guess we are all hungry for something....

It's changed a lot from release TBH. Not even grindy at all anymore due to the Fast Track servers.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I looked at Aion, and installed it recently just to see how the game was the game still is not worth playing due to the fact it restricts character creation/max characters per server, and the Cash Shop is totally Pay 2 Enjoy I mean look at instead of offering flat rate subscriptions they remove all customization aspects from the game, and charge per character customization change, and also charge for house expansions per month instead of one time fee per character. Rift is a much better game I have complaints about the cash shop, but it is no-where like Aion is with the pay 2 enjoy aspects of the game I mean I give Aion thumbs up for beautiful graphics/music in some cases, but  if the game-play is too restrictive I refuse to play the game even if it is (Free) as I would recommend finding a Monthly subscription game, or game that isn't pay 2 enjoy. Perhaps I am wrong but explain to me why they won't just allow me to subscribe to the game give me all the options one flat rate rather rather than try to milk money from its customers with pay 2 enjoy things just look through their cash shop see what I mean compared to "Rift" &  "Ever Quest 2" when it comes to housing. If the game was like Real Life world pre-paid services to subscribe, or pay as you go for all main aspects/features I would subscribe.