Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: WvWvW Rewards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has been hard at work to bring significant alterations to the Guild Wars 2 World vs World system. Recently, they announced some rewards changes that caught our eye. Check out our thoughts before heading to the comments to add your own. 

While I play a lot of PvE, I love PvP as well. ArenaNet has taken PvP to a whole new level with WvWvW. Pitting three servers against each other was a brilliant idea! Instead of just controlling small areas, you can control entire forts! Large armies can clash in epic battles that could last just a few short moments, or several minutes. WvW has become a very popular feature in Guild Wars 2, and has gone through a few evolutions by adding in new features to make the game more rewarding. The most recent attempt was adding seasons.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: WvWvW Rewards.

I see this loading screen a lot.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Whatever they do, I recommend this, Put your best foot forward.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    I'm glad they are delivering their title 'guild wars' ats what the game should be they have the best zones in an mmo too!!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"I think half of the problem is that we were expecting too much." 

That's been the story of GW2 for the past year.  

edit - This article touches on a great point though, the reward system. GW2 has the basic foundation of a great game. It looks good, it plays good, it has a nifty skill system, yet myself and many others could play for more than 3 weeks. 

The amount of drops players receive is insane more than any other mmorpg before. It's not even a chance of a drop, items will drop and drop often. This really cheapens nearly most forms of reward the game has, armor and weapon slots. 

It goes much deeper than this with the reward system though. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Bah. The rewards for achievements and WvW have always been shitty in GW2. I worked my ass off on some of the achievements and the Season 1 WvW chest, and it was the worst trash ever.

Both the WvW season 1 achievement and the 2 event achievements took WEEKS not mere hours! After weeks of hard WvW season one, our server made the 2nd rank, and ALL I got was worthless trash items, blue and yellow vendor trash worth maybe 2-3 gold altogether. For my orange equipped Level 80 chars blue and yellow stuff is WORTHLESS. Oh and one Dolyak pet. Yey. :/

It wouldn't really need much. Maybe a fancy robe look, or a unique looking sword or SOMETHING to brag with!

Horrible reward system. I didn't think ascended gear would RAIN DOWN on me, but ONE ascended piece would have been cool! And not too much asked for given the time invested. Or, as I said, a really cool looking gear piece SHOWING your effort if you got the meta achievement.

But hey, I saved the Galaxy as Jedi Knight in the end of my SWTOR Knight story and all I got was a stupid pair of PANTS, pants I was able to buy already on the AH... So giving players trashy rewards seems to be trendy.

I WANT MY TIME BACK!

I am NEVER again working on an achievement when I dont know 100% certain what the reward will be!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

"So what should we have expected?"

Wouldn't gold have been enough?

I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid some time ago.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

"Pitting three servers against each other was a brilliant idea!"

Yep that's why Mythic did it back in 2001 in DAOC. Sigh.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This article touches on a great point though, the reward system. GW2 has the basic foundation of a great game. It looks good, it plays good, it has a nifty skill system (expected and needs more), yet myself and many others could play for more than 3 weeks. 

The amount of drops players receive is insane more than any other mmorpg before. It's not even a chance of a drop, items will drop and drop often. This really cheapens most forms of reward the game has, armor and weapon slots. 

It goes much deeper than this with the reward system though. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by meddyck

"Pitting three servers against each other was a brilliant idea!"

Yep that's why Mythic did it back in 2001 in DAOC. Sigh.

Lol, so true. 3 realms fighting each other, with distinctive, different classes, was a brilliant idea. This WvW stuff is an absolute joke attempt at that. I love fighting the exact same class as me , over and over , and over. The whole server thing too. No one cares who they re fighting.

• ConleyConley Member Posts: 195

Improve the rewards is fine but not before they figure out ways to better distribute the player population, raise the population cap while in the same breath make low population servers more attracting someway. 

Right now I'm on Piken Square, a T1 server which basically has an endless queue before you get in (get online at peak hours and just forget about joining a borderland, it's not going to happen) but for all the servers T1-T3 there is at least a 1 hour queue during peak hours. 

Improving the rewards without thought is just going to make the queues on the popular servers much worste, making it impossible for people to join the borderlands unless they have free time at offpeak hours.

Worste still, while T1-T3 have to face horrible long queue times, the bottom tiers have the opposite problem, a lack of WvW playing population. Now if improved rewards are tied to winning, either capturing or defending points, killing enemies, it doesn't really matter, many of those who are now on low population servers might decide to transfer to a popular T1/T3 server.

So in short, improved rewards should be implemented after the population cap is raised, and a solution is found to make low population (wvw wise) servers more attractive (perhaps by giving bonus rewards or the best rewards to those servers with low ranks. 

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

the problem with WvWvW is that it encourages zerging and bad tactics. its makes me die inside whenever i hear a commander say "stay and move as a blob".

talk about the epitome of zerging. its actually disgusting to see. now if they only implemented a follow command so that way i don't even have to move for myself i just automatically follow the giant blob on the commander. this way i don't even have to think i just hit my attacks over and over.

• StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by Conley

Improve the rewards is fine but not before they figure out ways to better distribute the player population, raise the population cap while in the same breath make low population servers more attracting someway. 

Right now I'm on Piken Square, a T1 server which basically has an endless queue before you get in (get online at peak hours and just forget about joining a borderland, it's not going to happen) but for all the servers T1-T3 there is at least a 1 hour queue during peak hours. 

Improving the rewards without thought is just going to make the queues on the popular servers much worste, making it impossible for people to join the borderlands unless they have free time at offpeak hours.

Worste still, while T1-T3 have to face horrible long queue times, the bottom tiers have the opposite problem, a lack of WvW playing population. Now if improved rewards are tied to winning, either capturing or defending points, killing enemies, it doesn't really matter, many of those who are now on low population servers might decide to transfer to a popular T1/T3 server.

So in short, improved rewards should be implemented after the population cap is raised, and a solution is found to make low population (wvw wise) servers more attractive (perhaps by giving bonus rewards or the best rewards to those servers with low ranks. 

Agree. They already do it. New WWW map will solve problems with queue and new GOOD-revards will appear.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

???

1. WvWvW does not need any kind of rewards - having fun while playing it is the only kind of reward I need.

2. Serverpopulation is an issue, especially at night - but:

1. You can move to another server.

2. Your opponent changes every week, so one week you are strong - the other week you are weak.

3. Even if you are playing on the weak side, there are always smaller goals you can achieve with your guild,.There is always a little keep somewhere, you can claim and defend for some time. GW2 is really good here.

3. Many servers try to zerg all the time. However, this is a very bad strategy. The guilds in the Top 10 of all servers use much more effective strategies and there are a variety of counter-strategies against huge zergs. You can easily kill 60 opponents with just 20 men in the open field, if you know what you are doing.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I'm going to guess most of you haven't played GW2 in 6+ months, or in a very long time.  WvW has changed quite a bit since launch.  It still has it's problems though, but i've been reading old arguments in this topic that aren't really a problem anymore.

As for the rewards in GW2, they have always been uninteresting, in both pve and pvp.  Sure, they increased the quantity, but the quality is undesirable.  Karma, Coins, Blue & Green Quality Loot (which becomes vendor trash/ or salvaged), etc.  It also makes inventory management a chore, and it also adds more problems to the economy, by having too much supply.  There hasn't been any full armor sets since release. Trading Post doesn't count either.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Elikal

Bah. The rewards for achievements and WvW have always been shitty in GW2. I worked my ass off on some of the achievements and the Season 1 WvW chest, and it was the worst trash ever.

Both the WvW season 1 achievement and the 2 event achievements took WEEKS not mere hours! After weeks of hard WvW season one, our server made the 2nd rank, and ALL I got was worthless trash items, blue and yellow vendor trash worth maybe 2-3 gold altogether. For my orange equipped Level 80 chars blue and yellow stuff is WORTHLESS. Oh and one Dolyak pet. Yey. :/

It wouldn't really need much. Maybe a fancy robe look, or a unique looking sword or SOMETHING to brag with!

Horrible reward system. I didn't think ascended gear would RAIN DOWN on me, but ONE ascended piece would have been cool! And not too much asked for given the time invested. Or, as I said, a really cool looking gear piece SHOWING your effort if you got the meta achievement.

But hey, I saved the Galaxy as Jedi Knight in the end of my SWTOR Knight story and all I got was a stupid pair of PANTS, pants I was able to buy already on the AH... So giving players trashy rewards seems to be trendy.

I WANT MY TIME BACK!

I am NEVER again working on an achievement when I dont know 100% certain what the reward will be!

Well, you could always play the game because you like it instead of treating it like a job?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Once you hit max level you don't need any more exp and giving garbage drops is not really going to entice me to do much.

EDIT: (Maybe they should take a look at what most people are buying in the trade shop and give some of these as rewards!

Or give some of the rarer crafting mats so we do not have to spend gold in trade shop because there is not enough in game.)

We should get bonus rewards if we are downed by one of the many cheaters in wvw.

Still playing but waiting for something better to be developed...

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    They can populate the gem store with 10-15 new skins every other week but they can't even give us 1 for a 2 month, 100 hour achievement?

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Sad to jump on the bandwagon, but too little too late imo. As a hardcore pvper GW2 never had enough to keep me past that initial couple months at launch, just too casual and not enough of a reward system or progression for WvW.

Also they don't do themselves any favors with the meaningless content they update their game with rather than actual game changing post-launch patches/expansions.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • seigardseigard Member UncommonPosts: 286

''ArenaNet has taken PvP to a whole new level withWvWvW. Pitting three servers against each other was a brilliant idea''

This is just irritating, this existed before them and will exist after them, to be fair their version isnt even remotely as good as previous uses...

It's a shame we never get good articles like we used to get on this site, I always get some ass kissing signs on the text, especially with wildstar and guild wars 2