Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

Comments

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by urbanmech
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

We all know that it is a given that this won't even scratch WoW. So the real question is whether or not this MMO will be a success.

And I have the trump card to counter claim Wild Star's success:

NC Soft.

Granted they could possibly redeem themselves. But I don't have high hopes for it.

Had the same feelings about SWTOR. Looked interesting to play. But the company behind it didn't have a good track record.

Sorry but Wildstar is amazing and if you were in beta playing it you would know that. Wildstar will not only make a huge scratch in WoW, I am predicting that after a few years, WoW will be #2 mmo behind Wildstar. 

The game is that good, and I dont care who believes me at this point since most are forming opinions on failures of previous MMOs. Wildstar does everything WoW does, in much the same way WoW does, only it does it all better. It is basically WoW++ and people love WoW, they are just bored of the same setting classes races, etc.. Wildstar offers all new stuff.

Just wait, spring 2014, the start of Wildstars rise to #1

Its just WOW 2.0, completely boring. Go to quest giver, marked with a !, go to area and click/kill x amount of things. Within 20 minutes I had the been there done that feel.

You must feel that with every MMO. *sadface* You poor thing, you.

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

It doesn't have Dwarfs; therefore, WILL NOT be a "WoW killer" period

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

From what they say that this games going to be really hard, so doubt it will be PUG friendly, and only a small percent of those PUGs will complete the dungeons. Part of the reason I think WoW is soo popular cause it's very PUG friendly and has its raids watered down for anyone to be able to complete. I see PUGS being very stressful in Wildstar, a wipe will happen someone will either leave, or rage on someone, this happens a lot but Wildstar has some challenging content and might happen several times in 1 dungeon.

Hopefully they stress mechanics early on and make new players learn the game, this is something all MMO's should stress and skip altogether. Not all of us have been playing since 1999, and are very adapt to this genre.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Bakkoda24

We all know that it is a given that this won't even scratch WoW. So the real question is whether or not this MMO will be a success.

NC Soft.

Granted they could possibly redeem themselves. But I don't have high hopes for it.

Had the same feelings about SWTOR. Looked interesting to play. But the company behind it didn't have a good track record.

Sorry but Wildstar is amazing and if you were in beta playing it you would know that. Wildstar will not only make a huge scratch in WoW, I am predicting that after a few years, WoW will be #2 mmo behind Wildstar. 

The game is that good, and I dont care who believes me at this point since most are forming opinions on failures of previous MMOs. Wildstar does everything WoW does, in much the same way WoW does, only it does it all better. It is basically WoW++ and people love WoW, they are just bored of the same setting classes races, etc.. Wildstar offers all new stuff.

Its just WOW 2.0, completely boring. Go to quest giver, marked with a !, go to area and click/kill x amount of things. Within 20 minutes I had the been there done that feel.

Which is why I haven't had a decent MMO to play in years. for the love of god dev's, give me something new!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    WoW's only largest threat is itself.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Bakkoda24

NC Soft.

You must think that WoW style mmos are the only type of mmos *sadface* 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

*sigh* another one of these threads.  Same thing was said with AoC... ohhh wait that failed, then it was Rift... ohhh wait that failed too, then SWTOR... ohhh wait another failure but on an abyssmal scale, then came the proclaiming of the second coming aka GW2... ohhh wait that didn't do the trick either.  I'm sure I'm missing a few.  WoW has stood strong time over time over time again.  Yeah subs are down but guess what?  That happens when you've hit your peak, but even at WoW's lowest point has every MMO developer frothing from the mouth for those kind of sub numbers. 

And OP.... Anet DID NOT plan to go the polar opposite route to compete with WoW.  ANet always had their vision and they stuck to it.  They simply built upon/expanded from GW. 

People will try WS, then they'll leave in droves.

NC Soft.

And people have said this exact same thing in every flashy new MMO and all of em were proven wrong.  If people were bored of the old setting and races and classes and ect ect, then the pattern of every MMO launch would not be repeating every time.  That of a massive amount of launch players, then after a short few months the mass exodus happens.

Just wait, Wildstar will be no different than the rest of MMOs that take a backseat to WoW.

Originally posted by IceAge

Am I missing something? The OP said that Wildstar will be having a great impact in WoW subs and not that it will kill WoW. Your only argument against op is "hey, not another WoW killer, post , thread, etc", where he was just saying that WS will be a threat to WoW. 

In fact, the only "WoW killer" line came from trolls. GG :)

PS: Yes, WS will be big and it will have a big impact to WoW subs. Deal with it .. 

Who is trolling who?  The OP has zero evidence nor does he explain how it will be a threat.  This is a troll thread if we want to go there.

WS will be no different and will have as much of an impact on WoW as FF XIV, Rift, GW2, and all the others.  Deal with it...

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by AzurePrower We all know that it is a given that this won't even scratch WoW. So the real question is whether or not this MMO will be a success. And I have the trump card to counter claim Wild Star's success: NC Soft. Granted they could possibly redeem themselves. But I don't have high hopes for it. Had the same feelings about SWTOR. Looked interesting to play. But the company behind it didn't have a good track record.

I don't really need to play the beta.

If you played other MMOs upon launch. Spent some time on these forums.

You would know about the running gag of the next MMO is the next WoW killer fiasco.

Every one thinks their favourite new MMO that they have barely had any experience with (if at all) is going to be the next best thing and is a WoW killer.

The most recent example of this is Guild Wars 2.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Every singleplayer game is the same as others from it's genre, no one complains, only the uber mmo race. It's pathetic. Yea, another FPS where you shoot, I want to dance in it. Every game is the same because you use keyboard, boring. Every cartoon is the same, be cause it is cartoony, Scooby Doo, Mickey Mouse, whatever, they are all animals. Every day in life is the same, you wake up, go to school/work, come back home, have fun and go to sleep, boring.

I don't think developers have anything to do with other people cynicism or depression.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

There hasn't been an MMO yet that hurt another MMO by stealing its active playerbase. Why do we still have this discussion?

Teen hormones.

"mine is better then yours etc"

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by IceAge

Am I missing something? The OP said that Wildstar will be having a great impact in WoW subs and not that it will kill WoW. Your only argument against op is "hey, not another WoW killer, post , thread, etc", where he was just saying that WS will be a threat to WoW. 

In fact, the only "WoW killer" line came from trolls. GG :)

PS: Yes, WS will be big and it will have a big impact to WoW subs. Deal with it .. 

Who is trolling who?  The OP has zero evidence nor does he explain how it will be a threat.  This is a troll thread if we want to go there.

WS will be no different and will have as much of an impact on WoW as FF XIV, Rift, GW2, and all the others.  Deal with it...

Imho? Like i said before I think wildstar will have a bit of an impact, but so will a few games released next year, why? due to the current state wow is in. Blizzard will push it's player base away and has since the changes they made in Cata and MoP, unless they pull out all the stops in WoD.

The entire game pre-flex raiding in imo is just broken, leveling, dungeons, PvP, Lfr, community commnication (unless your in a guild that is still going). The whole concept of item rarity is gone, it's just an ilvl numbers game.  Gear is just handed out, to the point you can afk/auto attack and earn a legandary, many servers are dead, even with the realm system adn the realm transfer prices don't help, also the faction ratio on a lot of servers is just horrible. I subbed a few months ago and went to timeless isle, not a single horde player to be found and i mean not one, no exaggeration.  Also lately blizzard have been putting alot of time into there store, something that shouldn't occur in a P2P game   

Don't take what i'm saying as bashing wow, this is just my observation as a player who has sunk many years into the game and is disapointed that a game which was so epic and so deep has turned into whatever you like to call it now.

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    The Hobbit 2 will probably be more of a WoW killer than Wildstar

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Hmm maybe, it looks good on the surface they should delay and delay and make the game very solid. I can tell you you have what 9-10 active skills that right there is a reason why it will never overtake wow for sure. Limited ability to impact combat at any given time (the increase of button mashing). 

Positives is the game looks fun, if what the devs say is true, raids are hardcore which regardless of what any noob says is a major attraction, even to casuals, because you see cool stuff and what to work toward it. But it doesn't seem to be as expansive as wow was which is important.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ButtdartButtdart Member Posts: 34

I don't really care if Wildstar kills WoW.

What's important is that this isn't another MMO that feels like a single player game because of poor game design that lacks consideration for the social component.

Nowadays the devs either go the Raph Koster route and make these considerations, or they take the cakewalk solo-play route and appease all of the antisocial crybabies on the internet who think playing an MMO is a good idea while at the same time posting on forums "don't force me to play with other people!".

It's why this genre sucks. Player feedback is overrated. The most beautiful pieces of art in history were created by men who didn't listen to the mobs opinion.

• whiskeyhealzwhiskeyhealz Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

Hmm maybe, it looks good on the surface they should delay and delay and make the game very solid. I can tell you you have what 9-10 active skills that right there is a reason why it will never overtake wow for sure. Limited ability to impact combat at any given time (the increase of button mashing). 

Positives is the game looks fun, if what the devs say is true, raids are hardcore which regardless of what any noob says is a major attraction, even to casuals, because you see cool stuff and what to work toward it. But it doesn't seem to be as expansive as wow was which is important.

i dont think any game will ever "kill" wow. tbh wow will always go along with a somewhat decent player base simply because they laid such a good ground work, i mean every single MMO to date has used WoW as a template for theirs in some way or shape. now with that being said alot of steered away as much as they could, but they have all implemented some form of WoW into their game.

9-10 active skills is what wow should have done a long time ago. pvp is a huge part of games and draws an enormous player base. wow has horrid pvp balance now due to the fact that they have added so many skills over the years. with only allowing 9-10 it makes balance possible. its a rather brilliant concept. in all honesty wow had way too many abilities, no one should be required to make macros simply because they dont have enough fingers for all the abilities, and generally about 10 abilities a class werent even used simply because they werent "cookie cutter" for pvp or pve. everyone streamlines their abilities into useful and not useful in an MMO no matter how many they have, this just simplifies the process a little by adding a step of saying you cant use your less useful ones in the middle of an encounter. makes players think more about what they really need and can live without.

all in all i think this game is going to be the next or one of the next greats to hit the market, the team has done very well with it. despite their random annoying beta invite system....

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

I don't really care about the lore in Wildstar. The graphics might be sharper than in WoW but the style is uglier in my opinion. The questing looks super boring like in most other MMO's. Not very ambitious in that area is it... Honestly I don't see a lot of exciting stuff in the game.

However I am interested in some of their pvp offerings. Their version of battlegrounds might be fun, especially since they apparently have Alterac Valley styled battlegrounds as well and you can supposedly level up exclusively through PvP.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at their bigger raids either. I really enjoyed the larger raids of past MMO's and I can't find much of that stuff anywhere anymore

Will this be enough to keep me around for the long haul? I guess we'll see. You never truly know an MMO until you've played it (to endgame :D)

• frostguardianfrostguardian Member UncommonPosts: 7

only reason wow is still trucking is there is nothing else out there that is as good or gives you as much to do. WoW does give you plenty of things to do with your time...I only got bored after playing it for 6+ hours a day for like 8 years with breaks here and there but I really did do just about every you could do in the game AND I enjoyed it but sadly just not enough to keep my intrest anymore but still wow is a good game. much better than the crappy copies over the years.

but wildstar.....im really trying very hard not to get over hyped but I really like teras action combat but sadly too much Asian influence and the cash shop.

I really do hope wildstar IS everything is looks to be    great action combat, nice customization, housing in from the ground up not just an add on, limited skill set no need for 50 keybinds, breakout gameplay CCs, sci fi world with fantasy aspects to get lots of players prefrences, talent trees for customizing skills and amp system to pump up what YOU like to use. AND a team that has a sence of humor.

you do really want the downfall of wow and to have all of those kids flock to wildstar.... sadly not a bad idea from the business idea as long as they don't easy mode it

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Here is a list of people who are playing WoW right now.  This makes up the 7 million subs that they have currently:

1.  People who have been playing the game since launch or close to launch and feel that switching MMO's is pointless because of the i'm going to go with YEARS of playtime that they have put into the game.  They won't switch.

2.  People who use the game as a social hub and only stay there because all their friends have been there for years.  Many of these friends being in group 1.  They won't switch.

3.  People who only play WoW because it can run on a cardboard box at this point and they don't feel like upgrading their PC.  I feel this is where most of the millions of players are coming from.  The system requirements are so casual that it works for them.  They might switch if they happend to get a better computer, unlikely.

4.  The extra accounts of the past 3 groups.  Normally group 1 will have several different subs running for double boxing, or for whatever reason.  

So yeah the amount of subs that WoW has right now will probably not diminish for awhile, or rise unless there is an expansion hit or something along those lines.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

Here is a list of people who are playing WoW right now.  This makes up the 7 million subs that they have currently:

Yep you got it for the most part, you did leave out 1 group and that's the players who like to fully gear up with little effort, and want a game where their main and alts can all be geared out in a few weeks. Those players will not be switching to a game where they aren't able to do that.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    WoW 2.0 already came out and it is called Rift.
  • whiskeyhealzwhiskeyhealz Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by intrinsc

i hope this is a joke....

rift is wow .5. a game with everything wow has, but worse.... the pvp is worse, the pve is worse, the lore is worse, the class diversity is worse. this is a total joke. any game that lets you switch between classes freely is crap to begin with. takes away the entire purpose of a mmorpg. rift is garbage free to play or not....

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Only wrong choice you can make in rift is warrior, cleric, rogue or mage.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by intrinsc

That's why this game with WHO grpahics is already on life support?

Personally, I hope WOW stays around forever, then I won't have to deal with spoonfed themepark players running around in my favorite sandbox calling devs to nerf the steep learning curve.

On the other hand, I could kill them over and over again and take their stuff..........hmmmmm

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"