Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Time Lapsing and World Making

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our latest look at EverQuest Next, we take a look back at last week's news and offer analysis about what was said. This week, in particular, we center on the day/night cycle, specialty servers and how quickly a world can be built. Check it out before heading to the comments to add your voice to the discussion.

As Everquest Next Landmark inches closer to release, Sony Online Entertainment threw out a couple of different world-building concepts we could latch onto this week: one is a corollary to the day-night progression discussion from earlier, and the other two are about how the world is made and how your particular choice of world may operate in the future when Landmark and EQNext eventually come out.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s EverQuest Next: Time Lapsing and World Making.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146
    #&%(*#%& cant wait!
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....thx god i have 8 weeks holiday next year
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    I hope they have special server rulesets - I'm assuming that's not confirmed yet
    nope...they were making a poll and like 35% said they wanted a rpg server...(but for eqn) so that might be a thing
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Pvp is awesome but it's replay ability falls behind exploration and collecting
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Why are you surprised that EQ players don't really like PVP?
    I am surprised that PvP reached 20% actually.
    I chose Hardcore, close to Vanilla EQ (hopefully)

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Pvp is awesome but it's replay ability falls behind exploration and collecting

What the...?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Didin't they actually say their day/night duration will be around 2 hours?
  • IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    72 min day night seems perfect given the amount of time I have to play these days. I will be able to enjoy both types and it won't pidgin hole me into one set schedule every night.

they said in eqn the d-n will be 2 hours

they said the former standard was 72minutes which was to short for eqn but might be okay for eqlm but that they didnt decided yet on the cycle for landmark

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I think 7 hours i the best.  Long days and night but rotates each day so you're not seeing the same time of the day everytime you play if your on a strict schedule.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Most people who go to RP servers don't actually RP, those servers just tend to have fewer aggressively obnoxious players, so people with low tolerance for that type end up there.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Interesting. The development of these games is going to be fascinating to follow. Already is, really. 

Surprised the PvP option was so high as far as rulesets go. Add a RP PvP server and I am in heaven. I am happy to see this kind of research being done, though. Developing  with alternative rulesets in mind rather than tacking them on to "main" designs can only be a good thing.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I'm also surprised PvP got as high as it is(although I wish it were more).  Fans of past Everquest games are mostly all PvE players.  1/5th of the player base is huge if the poll numbers are indicative of who will actually join these servers.  There hasn't been a point in time when 1/5th of EQ servers were PvP.  Everquest 2 didn't even have PvP until a year and a half after release.  All in all I'd say things are headed in the right direction. 

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I'm also surprised PvP got as high as it is(although I wish it were more).  Fans of past Everquest games are mostly all PvE players.  1/5th of the player base is huge if the poll numbers are indicative of who will actually join these servers.  There hasn't been a point in time when 1/5th of EQ servers were PvP.  Everquest 2 didn't even have PvP until a year and a half after release.  All in all I'd say things are headed in the right direction. 

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    I think 7 hours i the best.  Long days and night but rotates each day so you're not seeing the same time of the day everytime you play if your on a strict schedule.

I agree. Don't know from where did they get this 72min "standard", I think it's way too low. In LotRO a day is more than 3 hours long, in AoC even more (I guess 6 hours maybe - not sure).

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

as long as night is really dark,  so I have to use a torch or campfire to see.  i don't mind how long it is.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by muffins89

as long as night is really dark,  so I have to use a torch or campfire to see.  i don't mind how long it is.

Not a chance. Those games are "hardcore" and/or "niche" today and EQNext will be neither.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I am really interested in seeing voxel + procedurally generated terrain in a persistent and shared world in an MMORPG. Hopefully it works out great so we can have tons of space to explore and build on.

That said does anyone know how large either EQL and EQN worlds will be? Not counting subterranean, I mean the surface size of each layer of the world.

Here are some great videos from the guy who I is being contracted out to help SOE with their voxel +procedural generation with his voxel farm engine being licensed.

Voxel physics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZIsW7is01g

Procedurally Generated World made with his software: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btc7gFIjJco&list=UUnAnbwdbzRvFhQGCAVdh4Pw

IMO the combination of the two will probably be a new staple going forward in MMOs assuming all goes well. Miguel Cepero already mentioned that several companies have licensed his work and several more are interested.

Hopefully EQL & EQN are huggggeeee open maps to explore, and build on so the exploration evolves. Not to mention the fun it should be for explorers to seek out settlements in remote locations, or soldier like players patrolling for enemy camps, or other interesting goodies hidden across the massive world...dungeons, monsters in caves, sunken temples, places of power, etc.

Shame about night time being "bright" nights instead of true night, was really hoping for some "horror" elements added when adventuring at night...well maybe they will man up and do lunar cycles that have bright nights and dark nights QQ

Voxel Farm day-night cycles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeAipNz2yU&list=UUnAnbwdbzRvFhQGCAVdh4Pw

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by muffins89

Not a chance. Those games are "hardcore" and/or "niche" today and EQNext will be neither.

All MMOs are niche, no matter how hard they try not to be.  The key is to target a niche that doesn't already have a ton of decent games serving it, which I think EQN will do.  Not sure the "we want night to be pitch black" niche is large enough to sustain anything but a very low budget indie game though.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Nadia
    I hope they have special server rulesets - I'm assuming that's not confirmed yet

It seems many RT polls side with classic EQ principals so SoE could benefit from a server where the content overall is pretty hard.  I'm no fan of permadeath but corpse recovery and a majority of needed group content would be refreshing.  One can hope.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Interesting looking game. I like 24 hour cycles but don't mind games with shorter day night cycles.