Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Diving into A Realm Awoken

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This week Square Enix finally added in the highly anticipated patch 2.1 known as A Realm Awoken. ARA is the first major content update for SEs reimagined Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Guild housing, player versus player combat, and a slew of new features made their way into the game with this update. Read on for our impressions of all the new content so far.

Read the rest of Rob Lashley's FFXIV: Diving into A Realm Awoken.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Sadly this game has kind of disappointed me. They seem to be strongly focusing on end game gear grind, like even more than WoW. Just doesn't appeal to me. It's unfortunate because the game looks amazing and I really don't mind the slower combat.

The thought of just getting to 50 and grinding instances forever to get gear, or leveling alt jobs feels... unexciting.

• AquaKiraAquaKira Member UncommonPosts: 39
    This content patch is what will make or break the game. Many people are already gone, many people won't be back for this. 

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Its still easy peezy. Not worth a sub at all
  • kevinsalkevinsal Member Posts: 27

I have to agree with you here Fendel.  Its a great game and Ive enjoyed it but they need to keep in mind that not everyone likes to dungeon grind.  I find it annoying since its the same pull and DPS mechanisms over and over.  

Hopefully they add some open world PVP and do not force you to dungeon grind.  Possibly equally as epic gear for PVPers.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    I remember when open beta was going to make or break this game. Next, early access was going to make or break the game. Then it was launch. Then the server debacle. Now, it's the first content patch that will make or break it. I can't wait until the next patch to make or break this game. These cliffhangers are exciting.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by kevinsal

I have to agree with you here Fendel.  Its a great game and Ive enjoyed it but they need to keep in mind that not everyone likes to dungeon grind.  I find it annoying since its the same pull and DPS mechanisms over and over.  

Hopefully they add some open world PVP and do not force you to dungeon grind.  Possibly equally as epic gear for PVPers.

I dont think they are aiming for everyone.  I think they are aiming for those that do enjoy the type of mmo it is and the final fantasy fans.  And they are doing pretty well with it too having about 1.5 million active subs and also stated in the 2.1 patch notes they are going to add more servers for the steam and PS4 release.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by nttajira
    Originally posted by AquaKira
    This content patch is what will make or break the game. Many people are already gone, many people won't be back for this. 

Well I'm back because of this, was not playing since 2 months ( zero log in )

Enjoying this game alot right now and just by looking at the patch... Sure got 2 months worth again... And next I can look at personal housing, the pvp frontier ( 3v3 faction war ), more pvp features, they talked about the gold saucer for make race your Chocobo.....

And that not like they just add only stuft for higher level only too

This patch they added treasure huntings, a lot of quests... New way for make lower instance more played ( people got more exp if they queue for a needed class and they got a bonus for does random instance... Mean you find groups for instance lower level AGAIN !!

and honestly that the best mmorpg curently out by far, that just lack contents curently but what was looking wow 4 months into release ?

at the pace they go im sure ff14arr will be the best in 4 year if people actualy give it a chance...because they sure make amazing new features and contents  and when they patch... that BIG !!

i guess it depends on what you consider higher level but from what i've read of the patch notes it looks like everything that was added (except for some side quests) are for 40+

Been playing since launch and i'm at level 34 so patch was pretty disappointing (particularly the crafting experience nerf) - not really complaining since obviously i have plenty of other stuff to do but was saddened to see the devs focus

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by gatheris

Been playing since launch and i'm at level 34

Have you actually played at all or is it a pay to play chatroom for you?

At this point I'm surprised you don't have a bare minumum of three things at level 50 if you haven't skipped the last two months.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I still love this MMO so very much and I welcome all of the new content. The new level 40+ dailies added to the game have provided much relief in a level range where there were few and far between quests. Now, it gives that little push to stop the amount of FATE grinding that I felt like I had to do. 

The Dungeon roulette system is great also, enjoying that and the large xp boost it gives and I like how the commendation system works. Feels nice having fun in a dungeon again with people giving you a little bonus at the end of it. 

A very meaty and worthy additional content. Very happy all round. 

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

"Once you are attuned to Crystal Tower you can run this raid as many times a week as you want. You will however only be allowed to get one piece of gear from a chest."

You need to expand on this statement...  You can only get 1 piece of gear from a chest PER WEEK and it doesn't matter if you win via a need or greed roll, you are loot locked.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond
    Originally posted by gatheris

Been playing since launch and i'm at level 34

Have you actually played at all or is it a pay to play chatroom for you?

At this point I'm surprised you don't have a bare minumum of three things at level 50 if you haven't skipped the last two months.

wonder if there is a place to check the number of hours played - but it would be a lot

not as much during the week as i would like but almost continuously during weekends/holidays/days off

i'm not obsessive about leveling so i'm kinda all over the place - crafting, gathering (even including fishing) which probably takes up most of the time since i don't pay for mats so lots of running around, main story, not a whole lot of side quests, the forced dungeons, grand company quests and provisioning, hunting logs............

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Sadly this game has kind of disappointed me. They seem to be strongly focusing on end game gear grind, like even more than WoW. Just doesn't appeal to me. It's unfortunate because the game looks amazing and I really don't mind the slower combat.

The thought of just getting to 50 and grinding instances forever to get gear, or leveling alt jobs feels... unexciting.

Then what do you propose mmo games do? Thats what most mmos are with side events and time killers.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg

Then what do you propose mmo games do? Thats what most mmos are with side events and time killers.

I can assume from that statement that you have never played a good MMO.  A lot of us quit Wow because of the gear grind in the dungeons, a good game provides other avenues at max level.  I tried it, have some friends who play, I just did not like it.  A game that relies on the raiding end game is just half baked if you ask me.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I can assume from that statement that you have never played a good MMO.  A lot of us quit Wow because of the gear grind in the dungeons, a good game provides other avenues at max level.  I tried it, have some friends who play, I just did not like it.  A game that relies on the raiding end game is just half baked if you ask me.

Good is subjective.

A game having raiding at endgame does not make it bad.

FFXIV has a lot of things to do at end game, more are being added every patch.  This one added quite a bit.

Games like UO still have a 'gear grind' so before we start name dropping or acting like sandboxes are 'real' games, lets check all that bullshit at the door shall we?

Thanks.

• Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Can you advise what exactly is a "good" MMO?
     And more importantly what its endgame is?

• Sevey13Sevey13 Member Posts: 14
    I would suggest to the MMORPG.com editors do do a better job checking their work. This column is rife with grammatical errors. Missing apostrophes ("games" instead of "game's" in the second paragraph!), misplaced periods causing fragmented sentences, heck the writing shifts from third to first person and back again in the same paragraph about halfway through the piece. I am no grammar Nazi, but I have been reading MMORPG.com for over five years now and know it is capable of better.