Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried it again but... no. Just no

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I really was/am the biggest mystery fan there is. So when I heard of TSW originally, I was totally thrilled.

I had played TSW from launch ~2 months, then again half a year or so later as well, and the last 2 days again anew. But... no. The combat is still the same crappy mess. It wasn't reworked or improved at all. The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck. Targetting is a mess. Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame.

Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters, still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE.

Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

Asf asf

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame. I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time. I guess that was the last time I gave this a chance. Three times is enough, and if Funcom did nothing by now, they won't at all.

Too bad. I really had hoped this would be worked on after launch.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Goromhir

Comments

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Don't feel bad, I stopped playing because I just couldn't get past the horrible animations. Cant figure it out, this is the same company that made Age of Conan that had such beautiful animations and they somehow made this?

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

It's not the game, it's you.

Goromhir
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Scrap the action based pointless combat, this game is not suited for being an action game.

Focus on story, mystery and puzzle quest (ala MYST)

This is one of the few MMOs that should be heavily story driven.

As it is, TSW is very bland, not worth the box price.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I enjoy it

I self identify as a monkey.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I enjoy it

How good for you. ;)

No seriously. I love the setting, so it just saddens me that I find other parts so flawed. :/

And not "oh it isn't so perfect", but really, really aggravating me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I enjoy it

How good for you. ;)

No seriously. I love the setting, so it just saddens me that I find other parts so flawed. :/

And not "oh it isn't so perfect", but really, really aggravating me.

I agree, I really wanted to like this game but it bothered me from the very start.  The fact I could only make an ugly character -and yes that is shallow- put me off from the get go.  And then the first area just had zombies running at you constantly- they were easy to kill- but just bloody irritating.  And then if you stumbled across a quest it would quit you out of the one you were currently running which was just intensely aggravating.  That combined with the fact the combat was pretty tedious meant I did not get far in the game before quitting.      

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

No worries, no game is perfect for everybody :) it seems simply TSW isn't your game.

Most of what you (and later LittleBoot) mentioned as a flaw, are designed exactly that way, that's how the game works.

"The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck." way more than simply hundreds :) and a major chunk of those are more than viable (or at least fun). And it's maybe the best feature of the game.

"Targetting is a mess."  also WAI, a kinda hybrid system with a toggle, and even in tab-target mode it has some directional targeting.

"Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame." One ability alone usually not worth much, and while in the beginning there were indeed OP deck combos, mostly they're fixed by now.

"Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char." Quests don't change only get extended in rare cases. But with every Issue there were new quests added into the game. These additions usually affecting every area, so your "mid-level" ( :) ) character could bump into many new missions even in Kingsmouth or SC.

"I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters"  strange, I don't quite remember this mob density (maybe the End of days event, with the mayan zombies?). Presently that's not the case, you can easily avoid mobs.

"still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE."  also WAI, what you see is cosmetic.

"Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands."  khm, that's because of the Council... replay value is to enjoy the missions again :) (or the AP reward), and Tokyo is arriving with the next Issue.

@LittleBoot "And then if you stumbled across a quest it would quit you out of the one you were currently running which was just intensely aggravating."  also WAI, that's TSW's quest mechanic, it was even on the dev diaries...  and it's a great system for backing up the stories.

I'm just trying to say, TSW is not everyone's cup of tea. It was known right from the start, and it wasn't even targeted to the whole mmo playerbase. You see those parts as flaws, others seeing it differently. Simple as that :)

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

Considering how poorly the game is doing, I'd say you're wrong.

You make me like charity

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    • TSW had most interesting questing out of any current MMOs I've ever played.
    • The actual combat was clunky looking and the animation in general was sad
    • Skills are pretty awesome in theory (all the animations are a like and suck but...) and all serve a purpose if you understand how to create a build. You won't really understand the inner workings of builds unless you PVP.  Most people will  just stack dps, stack health and defense or stack healing because the content never challenged beyond those basic roles
    • Funcom dropped the ball, lost their head guy and have been struggling to put out anything meaningful that is on par with the launch content
    • With each patch the game runs crappier and crappier.

With all that said, it's plain as day that the game was never for the OP. I figured this out with "invisible rewards". You can look how you want and gear however you want. If you were looking for your outward appearance to represent what level you are... wrong wrong game for you.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Comment about "invisible rewards" is flat out untrue anyway. There are entirely visible rewards that you can "wear and see" for such things as:

• Completing the main story line to date.
    • Collecting all the Lore that was in at launch.
    • Completing the three Hell dungeons.
    • Completing each Nightmare dungeon on the Master Planner challenge mode.
    • Exploring all the zones.
    • Completing various sets of missions.
    • Completing the main Ability wheel, and various subsets thereof.
    • Attaining various ranks within your faction.
    • Indirectly, for player kills in PvP (increasingly elaborate versions of faction PvP outfits that can be worn in the rest of the game world).
    Every Issue, every event to date has had some form of clothing reward attached, even if just a T-shirt for completing all the missions. Hell, TSW's page on TVTropes has an entry for "And your reward is clothes."
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I really was/am the biggest mystery fan there is. So when I heard of TSW originally, I was totally thrilled.

I had played TSW from launch ~2 months, then again half a year or so later as well, and the last 2 days again anew. But... no. The combat is still the same crappy mess. It wasn't reworked or improved at all. The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck. Targetting is a mess. Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame.

Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters, still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE.

Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

Asf asf

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame. I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time. I guess that was the last time I gave this a chance. Three times is enough, and if Funcom did nothing by now, they won't at all.

The things you are complaining about are the same reasons the player base like it.

We like the ultimate freedom to pick from hundreds of abilities.  If you can't (or won't) understand the synergy/combo system of actives and passives, you won't like combat.  Use the starter decks if you don't want to mess around with each of the abilities.  I happen to think creating my own decks is a lot of fun, especially when I find a chain combo that works really well.  The game itself won't hold your hand with this (the pre-made decks are there, but they aren't that great). Better is to go read some of the deck building guides out there (use Google).  Read the threads in the forums.  Use the Search panel to find combos.  Yeah, the animations could be better, but the combat system doesn't need fixing. 

We like quality over quantity in the quests.  Lots of missions throughout the zones, and new questlines always being added in the DLC issues, some of which are some of he best questlines ever made (Tyler Freeborn).  Lore spread throughout the game, achievements.  Lairs, dungeons (3 difficulties), raid, and now scenarios -- there's plenty of content; are you running over the same areas?  That would be the same situation in any MMO.

Players I think like the feeling that the world is a tad more dangerous and difficult than many MMOs.  I think the Ak'ab areas are the ones where mob density is a real problem/challenge. 

Players like that they have complete control over their look, and that clothes are separate from gear.  Weapons and clothing rewards are plenty visible, and come as rewards for completing missions. 

Somewhat agreed on the amount of difference in the factions, and in general would like to see more faction-specific content.  The factions have different flavor text for the missions, different cut scenes, and there are differences in clothes and some faction-specific missions, but yeah, there could be more stuff added for faction-specific stuff.  One thing on the table was the Black Ops missions for factions, but this may be a ways off.

Sorry the game isn't built the way you would prefer and that it works a bit differently than other MMOs, but overall pretty darn happy with the direction Funcom has taken it.  Now to get Tokyo out the door, dangit!

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Considering how poorly the game is doing, I'd say you're wrong.

I see.  That must mean World of Warcraft is the best MMO on the market.  After all, that game is doling great and everyone who plays it loves it.

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

I enjoy it, and yep i like the 1000 skill and the combat

maybe i like stuff the the mass doesn't like but usually the mass is not what we really call "good taste"

look at music the best music sure is not the one that sell the most

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    I can agree about the clunky animation's, and a few other minor annoyance's to me but over all I am really enjoying the game. Imho TSW is the spiritual successor to GW1.
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Oh, TSW combat animations are poor? That's a new perspective.

Otherwise, it seems to me that the OP has not played TSW at all. Almost everything written was not accurate.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Vutar

No, it is the game. As people told them repeatedly during beta and since, the combat is bad.

...in your opinion.  There's a whole boatload of people playing this game right now that like the combat and have no issue with it.

It's called learning to play.

Face it: you never figured out the deck/synergy/combo system.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

I completely disagree with OP no offense i respect your opinions but how much of the game did you play itself?

TSW is probably the only mmorpg i fully enjoyed after final fantaysy 11, And i am glad it wasn't yet another WoW cash clone just like 95% of mmorpg out for a while.  One of THE best story driven games i have ever played, heck instances are some of the best also and I am a person who hates instances this says a lot.

I used to think combat was weird until i gave it a try and got it down, almost any skill is useful and you are open to make any build you like pretty much anything can be made into a build/etc.  Do people expect TSW combat to be some street fighter or tera online style? the games own combat system is unique and after giving it a try i found it to be great, although i agree it needs some improvements but its far from how people who i think try for 2-5 minutes ( or only judge with 1-3 skills beginnign of game).

Shame you did not like OP, o well no one can expect everyone to like anyways.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Love the skill wheel, quests, open world pve difficulty and setting. The builder combat is a bit of a chore though. The builder component hurts the game more than anything else anyone has said in this thread. I also find the ui and icons annoying. Overall, definitely a game worth playing even with it's faults.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame.

This I do think is a bit unfair.

Given the cutbacks following TSW`s obviously dissappointing release, I am rather impressed by Funcom`s ability to push out new material and systems. Take it from an AoC die-hard, TSW gets all the goodies ;)

I played TSW for two months after release, and enjoyed it. My problem with the game is that the story ends. Then I found myself left in a rather barren world with nothing going on. No housing or guild-city like in AoC, no useful crafting and nothing to explore.

I returned this spring, and again I had a lot of fun leveling an alt. But it is short term fun as long as the universe isn`t one to live in, like AoC`s Hyboria. So I left again.

I expect to return once or twice a year for as long as the servers are up, but I don`t see it as my home. It isn`t that kind of game to me.

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

Asf asf

This post is drenched in misconceptions and half-truths. Let us begin!

1) "The combat is still the same crappy mess"

This is subjective at BEST, and meaningless angry drivel at most likely. Personally I find the combat to be just visceral enough while focusing predominantly on planning and rotation, not twitch gw2 style face smashing on the keyboard.

2) "Targetting is a mess."

Another unfounded complaint, I personally have no issues with targetting. Maybe you should clarify statements like this if you are writing a critique.

3) "The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck."

The skill selection is very clearly organized by weapon type, and then further into each weapon types two roles, either dps/support, dps/heal, tank/support, or dps/tank. Pretty simple, not chaotic even in the slightest. You can sollect 1000s of combinations, all 1000 are viable in different scenarios. Even as a consummate minmaxer there are probably 20-30 competetive end game DPS builds, and all vary depending on the encounter mechanics!

4) Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

This is just a blatant bold faced lie. TSW releases new missions on a VERY regular basis, they even review them and title-screen said reviews on this very website.

5) Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

All 3 factions are supposed to be in the same territories, this isn't WoW or DAoC and wasn't made to be like it. There is a HUGE ammount of replay value because there is NO LEVELS AND NO CLASSES, meaning you are 100% incentivized to complete all of the missions on the same character. Multi characters are rendered obsolete.

6 )I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time.

Funcom has made a BOATLOAD of content additions since launch. My guess is that you never even finished the launch content, and failed to think before you painted outright blatant lies on the internet.

P.S. Dude you are a complete toolbag. I mean that in the most unprofessional uncurteous way possible.

P.P.S. Unique games like TSW don't need idiots like you dumping on them because you expected wow and were surprised when a year later it still wasn't wow.

TLDR:

GO BACK TO WOW

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    @ OP, you are so wrong on so many levels it makes me think you just made the post to troll...and I'm not even a TSW fan.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I am not surprised. Funcom failed on AoC and my bet was that they would the same on Secret World, and it seems they did. Funcom is simply a not very good company when it comes to MMOs.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

TSW is one by best mmoRPG on market , no idea what is wrong with combat .

Maybe ,I playing this game as rpg not as action arcade.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

He has played it, I remember his posts when I was playing it.  He thought the mobs were too hard, and he disliked the idea that he may have to change builds on the fly when doing things solo and fighting different things, if I remember right.  That's what mainly stands out from memory.  So not sure why he went back, because I doubt any of that has changed for him.

I actually really liked TSW, was kind of surprised by it.  I left before all the new content, when I was done with the Transylvania area I think it was.  Been thinking of coming back and playing some, but not sure how much has been added (I know they have updates, just haven't read them).  So not sure if their is new areas or if it is all spread out everywhere.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Xthos

He has played it, I remember his posts when I was playing it.  He thought the mobs were too hard, and he disliked the idea that he may have to change builds on the fly when doing things solo and fighting different things, if I remember right.  That's what mainly stands out from memory.  So not sure why he went back, because I doubt any of that has changed for him.

I actually really liked TSW, was kind of surprised by it.  I left before all the new content, when I was done with the Transylvania area I think it was.  Been thinking of coming back and playing some, but not sure how much has been added (I know they have updates, just haven't read them).  So not sure if their is new areas or if it is all spread out everywhere.

Oh this is him isn't it.  I thought i recognized the unfounded claims.  I personally think TSW is one of the best MMO games out there.  I have gotten a bunch of veteran MMO player friends of mine and they love the fact that it is so unique.  And no complaints about the combat or anything.

This guy is basically trolling.  TSW is some of the best stuff out there in this land of WoW clones.  I have tried many games out there but there is one MMO game I keep coming back to....

The combat is fine, the quest are great, the Ability Wheel is really fun to play with and there is mad content for endgame now.  And they always have events going on, just like now. 

Basically, I wonder if this dude has even played.  Doesn't sound like the game I play.