Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop/Sound Card/Headset Question?

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

Hey, i got a couple questions for people on here a lot smarter than me.  I need to buy a new headset and i am about to buy a new laptop (yes i laptop because i play away from home a lot).  I probably will buy a MSI again.  My question is:  If you have a great sound card then shouldnt you buy a headset with 3.5 mm cords and if you dont have a good sound card then buy a USB headset?  If that is the case, can somebody tell me if a laptop like this has a good sound card because i have zero knowledge on them.  I may not buy this exact model but something very close to this from MSI:  http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=423 .

Thanks for the noob computer tech guy :)

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I've never seen a laptop with more than the basic audio port, so any headset would be limited to stereo only. It is possible to get an external soundcard that will give you 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, which could enhance your gaming experience.

For instance, this headset from SteelSeries has 7.1 surround sound and can give you a much more "real" auditory experience over a standard stereo headset. Don't take this as an example of what you should get, just as an example of what's possible and the difference between using the built in plugs and using a headset with built in sound card capabilities.

I do not know what kind of impact, if any, a usb headset is likely to have on your in game framerates. This used to be something that made a difference, but processors may be so fast now that it really doesn't make a noticeable difference.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I've never seen a laptop with more than the basic audio port, so any headset would be limited to stereo only. It is possible to get an external soundcard that will give you 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, which could enhance your gaming experience.

For instance, this headset from SteelSeries has 7.1 surround sound and can give you a much more "real" auditory experience over a standard stereo headset. Don't take this as an example of what you should get, just as an example of what's possible and the difference between using the built in plugs and using a headset with built in sound card capabilities.

I do not know what kind of impact, if any, a usb headset is likely to have on your in game framerates. This used to be something that made a difference, but processors may be so fast now that it really doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Thats a good answer.

I know I used an external Sound card on my laptop at one time and it worked fantastic for 5.1 surround (back in the day...)

USB headset will not slow your game down at all on anything new(er) but having skype on will bump you right out of the game if someone calls and this always happens at the worst times imaginable. =P