Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Alpha Footage Spotlighted in New Dev Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elite: Dangerous team has published a new developer diary that shows off alpha footage and more. In addition, the team has written of its goals for alpha testing.

We have two important aims for the alpha process. First and foremost we wanted to gain useful feedback from our enthusiastic backers on specifics of the game - this first build is centred on single player combat and includes a number of different situations that will allow us to get feedback on usability and controls. Over the course of the Alpha process we’ll release new builds that focus on further specific features and add more core features for testing and feedback.

Secondly, we wanted to make sure that the build itself is and remains fun, and as polished an experience as possible -  as anyone involved with development knows this is can be quite a challenge when you’re in the process of developing the game and the ‘hood is up’ on various systems!

Elite: Dangerous is in the capable hands of a very experienced, enthusiastic and dedicated team and we thought you’d like to hear about the Alpha Phase One build from each of the main disciplines to get their take on it.

Read more on the Elite: Dangerous site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Well actually it left me with very good impression.

They realy made something they can show us ... unlike overhyped Star Citizen being buzy counting millions :D

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    i find their packages somewhat MEH...i mean handing over money for skins/ships whatever is way more appealing than buying in alpha, premium beta or just beta...i bet they would get more support if they had a better system for supporting in the first place :P
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Someone has shown an actual gameplay video of working space combat sim game without creating marketing hype, in game ships for 50$ and indefinite delay with just a pinch of paranoia?

What is this sorcery?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    200 Euros for Alpha buy in??? 0.o wowzer's.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    200 Euros for Alpha buy in??? 0.o wowzer's.

Yeah, but they don't really want tens of thousands of people in Alpha, right? I think it's a cost barrier by design. I'm sure that once they hit beta that number will come way down. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    looks great. might consider paying for the alpha...just to kill some time..while i wait for EOS

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

This is cool. Star Citizen may have the all the money in the world but this video clearly shows there will be competition. And in all truth, this is a way better presentation of a game than what Star Citizen has shown so far. 

Information/Footage/Gameplay > Marketing

Learn it Star Citizen.

• KruzilKruzil Member UncommonPosts: 95
    It looks good.
  • PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52

BTW there is an unofficial Elite: Dangerous FAQ here, with lots of info.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ

• calebgoldcalebgold Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by winghaven1

Learn it Star Citizen.

From a business stand point you are incorrect, if you compare the amount of backing the two games have raised.

Star Citizen has been very transparent and really makes you feel like part of it.

My opinion is biased towards SC but this does not change the facts. Haters gona hate.

• PeciskPecisk Member Posts: 19
    By the way, Alpha update 1.1 today brought Oculus Rift, 3D TV and Track IR support, people already reporting success with 3D TVs.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by winghaven1

This is cool. Star Citizen may have the all the money in the world but this video clearly shows there will be competition. And in all truth, this is a way better presentation of a game than what Star Citizen has shown so far. 

Learn it Star Citizen.

What are you talking about? Star Citizen releases information, literally, all the time! Also, they already released the hangar module, which lets you walk around your hangar and look at your ship, and the dogfighting module is coming in 2014.

Star Citizen has always been very forthcoming with information to the point that not just the backers know what they are doing, but everyone does because they have their dev blogs open to the community at large.

That said, Elite Dangerous is shaping up to look like a great game! Really psyched about all these space games coming up! I have literally been waiting for more space games for years because all the ones that have been made just play so badly or have a ton of bugs.

Smile

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by xenom
    i find their packages somewhat MEH...i mean handing over money for skins/ships whatever is way more appealing than buying in alpha, premium beta or just beta...i bet they would get more support if they had a better system for supporting in the first place :P

Well if you buy Alfa and premium beta you get all future expantions for free.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Looking forward playing, but $200 for alpha? Ouch. Best hang tight for the release I think.
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I will be playing both games wing commander and elite.
  • vulcorvulcor Member Posts: 1

Atm you can only play some battle scenarios.  They are not that intense nor impressive BUT  they are not meant to be,  First alpha stage is to TEST the battle system hence the simple selections of scenarios. But you will get a feeling how combat and ship handling works and its quite difficult,

You can choose to have  flight assist and that will help you,  But if u turn that of you  must be a darn skilled space pilot :)  if u master that il guess non will be able to Catch you,,,,

Iam in alpha,  I payed and i wud gladly pay more,,, This game is gone be awesome,,  Atm,  iam testing out the new alpha build 1.1 that focus on 3d view and occolus, Lots of improvement from 1.0 and they have listned to our concerns.  Very few bugs in the initial build,,,

To be in an alpha test of an game is not to play a game,,  its to be a tester,,, Very few peeps thats in alpha payed the Money just to play,  Most of us want to help and make this a good game and we can make a change.  the devs really listen to what we report and want,,,,,,  So for me it is to pay some bucks to be a part of the development and to get the game I Want :D

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Jorl
    Looking forward playing, but $200 for alpha? Ouch. Best hang tight for the release I think.

It's not $200...it's £200, which is about $327.