Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else see Browser mmorpg and then just scoff at it?

2»

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Guess I hear "browser" and think juvenile, childish, 8 yrs and under.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Browser, 2d, or anything that looks like it'll run on an SNES. 

I'm exceptionally baffled at games that are developed today, that require you to pay for them, but look like they would run on an 8bit console.

Edit:  My problem with browser based is that you can make really good looking games with a lot of depth that is browser based, but I have yet to see one that doesn't look horrible.   

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    The best browser mmo I have personally played was Battlestar Galatica online, Decent graphics controls were good, the problem with it? its a major pay2win title, bascally if you don't pay you'll be there for months to get what someone who pays can get in less than 5 minutes. I think it runs on the Unity engine as well. But don't quote me on that its been ages since I have played it. Other problem was well, the lack of anything to really do when I played it. Been close to a year I think since I touched it, don't even know if its still alive or if it died already.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Zaradoom
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by greenreen

I think that's because the right devs aren't all there yet or are just getting into things.

Browsers are poised for being a big thing with some of the new tech.

Sorry, but as a developer I can tell you that Browser based MMORPG's will NEVER take off unless some drastically fantastic tech is integrated into future browsers.

Web Browsers have resource limitations that every engine I have come across run into, and eventually stone-wall to death over.

Non-browser based games will always have the advantage of pure system-resource access allowing much more fidelity and control over BB-Games. Only PR spinning a game into levels of ludicrously high Hype would ever go anywhere. As only lies and frustrating promises will ever get a BrowserBased MMORPG off the ground.

Just saying...

Free Realms, Travian, Runescape and Evony are just a few reasons why you probably should dial back on your "I'm (supposedly) a developer, so I know" shtick.

Might want to doublecheck your facts.

Neither of those games you listed is a MMORPG of any value to speak of. All of those games are near the "trash"definition and are FAR from being a good game. I am not even sure IF they are even considered MMORPGs, Travian for sure is not.

Facts.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

I don't even make it as far as looking at browser based games...

Maybe I've missed out on real gems?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't give them a second glance. I see browser based and well...no thanks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Not really, I have tried several. But this is the same as with "normal" pc mmorpg's

If I read about things that makes the overal game seem fun and the artwork could be something I either enjoy or might get use to.

Browser games are often free so there is not much risk apart them trying to get you to spend money in their cs.

I don't discard them. Some are fun even if it's short term.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251
    Wartune would be great browser game if it wasn't pay2win.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Dibdabs
    No, I'm just the same as regards browser games.  Other game genres that instantly make me lose all interest are 2D games, platformers and arena/lobby games.  there's nothing inherently wrong with them but they just don't appeal to me.
    I am pretty much the same.
    Browser games do not get me into a game like a full screen rendering of a game.
    2D games mess with my desire to be able see what I am doing in the game.
    Platformers were never my thing.
    Arena/Lobby games are not why I play MMOs, or any game for that matter.

Like you said, nothing wrong with these games and they appeal to many players. They just are not my cup o' tea.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I haven't played any, but I have looked at 2d listings before, to see if anyone had a game out similar to UO, be it browser or not, but 2d.

I will read listing and such some, but I would say the things that throw me first are payment type and what you can buy.  If I find it too reaching, I don't bother.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

Most browser MMO games are Pay to Win and/or have severe limitations like Energy/Stamina in place.  They're generally all about monetization for maximum profit and artificial time sinks to delay progression through the limited content available.

However, they're not all cheap cash grabs.  I've played a few that are legitimately good games without a ton of restrictions and money grabbing.  It's very uncommon to see a decent browser game though.  

I usually just look for the publisher attached to a browser game and decide to brush it off from there.   I'm not going to name any names but certain companies constantly push out crappy browser based cash grabs every month or two.  Let's just say that they encourage everybody to get maximum VIP while pushing out new servers every week and then release a new game a couple months later. 

IMO the majority of browser games are traps designed to steal the money of careless gamers.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    I would love to play all the MMOs out there but I don't have unlimited amounts of time. So I have to pick and choose how I spend my time. So far no browser MMO has caught my eye.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

wake me up when there is one that isn't point/click to move.

worst mechanic ever.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

I think that's because the right devs aren't all there yet or are just getting into things.

Sorry, but as a developer I can tell you that Browser based MMORPG's will NEVER take off unless some drastically fantastic tech is integrated into future browsers.

Web Browsers have resource limitations that every engine I have come across run into, and eventually stone-wall to death over.

Non-browser based games will always have the advantage of pure system-resource access allowing much more fidelity and control over BB-Games. Only PR spinning a game into levels of ludicrously high Hype would ever go anywhere. As only lies and frustrating promises will ever get a BrowserBased MMORPG off the ground.

Just saying...

Free Realms, Travian, Runescape and Evony are just a few reasons why you probably should dial back on your "I'm (supposedly) a developer, so I know" shtick.

Given that Evony is primarily known for its awful browser-based ads that had nothing to do with the game, maybe that's not the best example.

Making a browser-based game really cripples what you can do.  But making a game for NES also really crippled what you could do as compared to modern computers, and that didn't stop Tecmo Super Bowl from being a great game.  Still, anything you can do in a browser, you could have done better in a standalone client.  Some games have done both.

But you know what's worse than browser-based games?  Facebook-based games.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Quizzical

+100 :)

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by azmundai

wake me up when there is one that isn't point/click to move.

worst mechanic ever.

Dungeon rampage .

It not good , but not point/click to move.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Just saying...

Given that Evony is primarily known for its awful browser-based ads that had nothing to do with the game, maybe that's not the best example.

Making a browser-based game really cripples what you can do.  But making a game for NES also really crippled what you could do as compared to modern computers, and that didn't stop Tecmo Super Bowl from being a great game.  Still, anything you can do in a browser, you could have done better in a standalone client.  Some games have done both.

In what way do you see Runescape, Travian or Free Realms 'really crippled'?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110

Point and click movement completely kills it for me. I won't get far enough into it to see if it's any good or not.

Anything java based just has to much security baggage to make it appealing.

WASD movement or directional keys and I''m golden.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Just saying...

In what way do you see Runescape, Travian or Free Realms 'really crippled'?

Crippled not so much in a sense of "game is bad" as "developers faced some severe restrictions that they wouldn't have faced with a standalone client".  For example, not being able to get much use out of the GPU.

It's not just the tools you use, of course.  What you do with them matters, too.  A lot.  Which is why I cited Tecmo Super Bowl:  the hardware capabilities of the NES were vastly inferior to what you have available in a modern cell phone.

Still, Runescape is easily the worst MMORPG that I've ever played.  That's a good deal of selection bias, though.  It was my first MMORPG, and a learning experience on what to avoid in future games.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Depends on the type of game.  Card games work fine as a browser game.  Board games work fine as browser games.  Even some turn based strategy games are fine as a browser game.

I can't say I've ever played an RPG or action browser game that I liked.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I use to play Moonlight Online for my browser mmo fix, but the client was always crashing. So now that Gamespace has basically renamed the it to Original Blood, I play that while at work for a quick mmo fix. Full 3d, wasd, gathering and crafting. So while it's very limited as far as comparing it to a full blown mmo, browser gaming is certainly evolving.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Siveria

Am I the only one who reads about a mmorpg, then the second I find out its a browser mmorpg I just kinda turn my scoff at it and walk away? I've never personally played a browser mmorpg that was any good. If you know of any please link me, i need something to play and I will try pretty much anything at this point. I have played alot of mmo's thou. Though only tried a few broswer mmo's because well.. they sucked.

Anyway, I cannot be the only one who thinks like this am I?

You're not. No offense, but I didn't even want to read your POST about scoffing at browser-based MMOs. :P

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Just saying...

Well said! not to mention that every engine has resource, technological, and other, limitations. That's why different devs choose different engines. I really hate when people use crappy logic backed by the authority fallacy so they can promote a biased agenda.

And what is "greater fidelity" as it relates to "non-browser based games". What are "pure system resources" as opposed to impure system resources? What control are we talking about - graphics and sound API control? If someone is going to throw around techy blah then they should explain what they mean so those of us who aren't "real developers" might try and understand.

Well i will give him this, who wants to add another layer between the game and resources.  It would be like saying oh this is mantle ready but it goes through a browers, doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose?  Also if Java or adobe is involved, that is just asking for trouble.

Then that extra layer, being a browser, is also prone to all sorts of problems like memory leaks.  I cant remember a single firefox release that didnt have some sort of memory problem...

What would make much more sense to me is if a developer created their own browser, which is small, then you use that to access their game.  Obviously it isnt a true browser and only exists to access the game.  This way you get away from the inherent problem of using other peoples software(browsers)  and the problems that arise from it and you still have the benefit of having very little to download or install on the client pc.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.