Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy MOP

snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I was wondering If I could get some advice from some of the people that played WOW since Vanilla and BC.

I stopped playing WOW during ICC. I found it really sucked to go into an instance and people would fly through them in 15 min. The other reason I left is because I raided so much during Ulduar, then ICC came out and everything we worked so hard to get was out classed by people just running instances for shifts and giggles a few times a day. 

So with that all said. Is it worth buying MOP now for 10 bucks or will I just get let down.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Why don't you just do the 10 day free trial.  Basically, you being a former player will get 10 days to basically with all expacs and play any of your account characters.  That should give you a good chance to see if the game is worth it to you or not.  I actually recently did the same thing as you.  Got burned out as ICC came out.  Went back about a month ago.  I'm just casually playing it till Wildstar launches.  I will admit MoP is actually a really fun expac so far.  But like I said, give it a free try and decide on your own :-)  Good luck.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    If you want, you can give me your email in pm and i'll send you a resurrection scroll.  Make it easy for you.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Instances have only gotten faster since the days of ICC.  Queue up in group finder, and run a dungeon in 15 to 20 minutes, with very little trash, and almost no communication (none is needed).  It's efficient, that's for sure.  Raids are the same way, since they've had to design them so that 20 people who aren't using voice chat can zerg their way through it as long as the tank knows what to do.

You make me like charity

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    You should of bought it during black friday sale...was 75% off basically $15 for WoW including ALL expansions.
  • snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by csthao
    You should of bought it during black friday sale...was 75% off basically $15 for WoW including ALL expansions.

Well at some point of time I was upgraded to Cata for free. I never did play it though. So it would only be 9.99 right now for everything.

I guess I could find a old school guild on an RP server and just run instances with them.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    If you have to ask the answer is no.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Macrinus101Macrinus101 Member Posts: 44

Planetside 2

Star Trek Online

SWTOR (I like it, most don't)

Age of Conan

Many of these MMO's, most innovative being Planetside 2 and STO are better than world of warcrap. Ignore the bias reviews that may say STO is bad. They are better games, don't waste your time with this over-rated pile of trash.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I resubbed and got MoP. I made a new monk and got him to the mid 50s, I'm not really even sure what level he is. The game isn't really any different than it used to be, everything is extremely rush rush and level as fast as possible. I think I lasted about a week and I have no desire to log on and play anymore.

I really wish I had a different reaction, I had an amazing amount of fun with wow back in the day. But now it's just tedious.

Unfortunately there's nothing around right now to fill the mmo gap, and I would reccomend that you save your money or look at some single player games for the time.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Depends on really if your gonna be playing the expanision in the summer.  I for one actually like the setting and atmosphere in Panderia.  I am really just getting toon prepped for the expansion and take my leisure.  I have my boubts about Wildstar being anything that will woo the masses and be yet just another typical themepark MMO.

Like you I was burned out with WoW from raiding back in ICC.  Took a long break and it's nice to be back in.  With the changes to the grear in WoD I think raiding will be less taxing for that specific gear drop and be more focused and just having fun with raiding, which WoW's has always been top notch.

People flying through instances is still there, but then again that's why you join a nice guild to run with instead of the LFDs.

I am mostly just working on toons to get ready for WoD.  No MMO has ever stuck with me like WoW and is by far the best MMO out there, even though it's aged a bit.  If your gonna be overly focused on gear then yeah you'll likely be dissapointed because all you gonna do is get burned out again.  But if you're gonna play it in moderation then the game might be good for you.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by MMOman101
    If you have to ask the answer is no.

My thoughts exactly.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I resubbed and got MoP. I made a new monk and got him to the mid 50s, I'm not really even sure what level he is. The game isn't really any different than it used to be, everything is extremely rush rush and level as fast as possible. I think I lasted about a week and I have no desire to log on and play anymore.

I really wish I had a different reaction, I had an amazing amount of fun with wow back in the day. But now it's just tedious.

Unfortunately there's nothing around right now to fill the mmo gap, and I would reccomend that you save your money or look at some single player games for the time.

Expect single player games might not really stick at all with MMO gamers and in fact costs more money.  I burn through multiple single player games that I never finish even though I can progress through an entire level range on an MMO and do some endgame stuff and yet still want more.  Not to mention there is really no good single player games out there depending on you preference.  Being a old RPGer there is nothing good till 2014 likely around the summer time with Project Eternity or Wastelands 2.

Tell me did you do any of the Panderia content?  Any of the new raids?  Scenarios?  Timeless Isle? Sounds like you were doing old content leveling a monk and never made it to Panderia which is hardly what I would qualify of someone that should give out advise.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Macrinus101

Planetside 2

Star Trek Online

SWTOR (I like it, most don't)

Age of Conan

Many of these MMO's, most innovative being Planetside 2 and STO are better than world of warcrap. Ignore the bias reviews that may say STO is bad. They are better games, don't waste your time with this over-rated pile of trash.

Ok I've played all the above except PS2 and in no way is STO better then Swtor or AoC let alone WOW.

also in your post you state "don't listen to the bias reviews" well buddy I would say they don't get any more bias then changing the name of a game and calling it trash.  So I hope everyone takes your advice and doesn't listen to you about wow.  

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    The answer is no. Your reason for leaving during icc is worse now...zoom to 90, do laps around times isle collecting free epics in boxes (made incredibly easy with an add-on), have your ton out hearing heroics before you even step in them practically...heroics are zerged in minutes, with no troubles or communication required, most raids (lfr) ate the same way..if you used to raid, and have any skill, you can level from 80 to 90, and have the required gear score for soo (flex) within a week's time
  • GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

I'm speaking from the side of not playing since right before MoP released because I was pissed about the Panda race haha, (10m raided in the Cata) and just recently coming back a month ago.  Prior to that I played from vanilla release through LK, and came back for Cata.

Leveling up to 90 is tons of  fun, but it goes by way too fast.  I only completed 3 zones before I was 90.  The quests, lore, and events were really memorable and fun.  I really enjoyed questing through Pandaria, and I still am at 90.  I am just now starting to do dungeons and see what they are all about (so far every dungeon i've done had lead up quests when I was leveling from 85 so seeing the dungeons after doing the quest chains is really cool).  The gear is pretty standard, but seems to be tailored for classes properly.  I have been doing a lot of achievement hunting and i'm enjoying searching for rare items/spawns.

I have also done quite a bit of Timeless Isle (this is the island where you get item tokens from static spawn chests that you use and is tailored to your spec/class with random stats that fit your role).  It feels like i'm cheating getting the 496 gear for doing nothing when dungeons I think are 430s-460s.  Makes gearing up way too easy, but I totally understand why they did it the more I play.  There is SO much content to go through when you hit 90.  I can't imagine having to go through each dungeon, heroic, raid, reputation grinds etc so I can see the Siege of Ogrimmar.  They have certainly "catered" to more casual players, but I do not feel like this is a bad thing.  With that said, i've turned into a filthy casual so take that into consideration.  I'm 30 with a lot more responsibilities now.  I can log in for a few hours in the evening and really feel like i've accomplished something.  So keep that in mind with what i'm typing.

I have not yet experienced any of the raiding, I have been doing scenarios and those are a fun diversion when you don't feel like doing a full dungeon.  I do not find the regular dungeons sped through, but I do most of the dungeons with 3-4 guildies so we kind of set our own pace.

I really feel like this is a quality expansion if you approach it how they designed it.  Spend a few hours doing something you find fun, and then come back tomorrow.  My only real complaint with this expansion is the HUGE amount of daily quests.  I really hate dailies, but I do them because I want the stuff.  It is a pretty standard expansion in terms of WoW, but it is worth the price of admission for $10.  

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

My experience with WoW has been relatively mixed.  My 4 brothers have been playing for years I've played all the others lotro, AoC, Swtor, ect ect.  When I did play wow I was a holy priest but since they all out leveled the dungeons I switched to a shadow.  My issue was I never really enjoyed my priest I never put the time in to learn it so was always behind my brothers so always went back to the games I was good at and hated wow.  One time I actually flew my priest out as far in the ocean as I could so fatigued killed me figuring if I ever came back I'd rage quit cause I was stuck in a fatigue area (that didn't work).  

So now after being burnt out of Swtor and lotro I started up a monk brewmaster.  Other then the classic 40 man raids not having any gear for my panda the leveling and dundeons have been a blast.  Last week I had over 5,000,000 guild Xp from leaving running raids, dungeons, reputation and just actually having fun.  I'm leaving up fairly fast with heirloom gear and the monk bonus every 10 levels and the daily but it's still fun.  

From my experience in mmos it's all about who you play with.  We are a small family guild with only 6 of us who play on a regular basis but we play together we are also guild level 23 which is pretty good since it's just six of us.  As I have been leveling it's been pretty crowed people everywhere.  Another issue I had back in the day is the horrible community but I've been pleasantly surprised instead of fighting over mods I've been getting and sending invited to group up and have yet to run into a jerk.  

As an ex hater I say buy mop get in with a good group start a new toon and learn the toon.  I'm having a blast with my monk my priest has almost a entire set of timeless gear waiting for him ready to enchant it for him when I hit 90.  It's a great time to come back lower level still populated as a tank I insta-que for dungeons the new expansion looks like it's got some good features.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Imo no. The story and setting are different, but it's 90% the exact same game as the wotlk.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

I'd wait  till warlords is out , rejoining at the end of an expansion will feel a bit empty (unless you are on a connected realm).

Blizz say they are addressing some of the lack of difficulty issues with heroic dungeons etc. Also the best reason to start then is new character models :)

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    WoW gets worse with every expansion, so I'd say no. If you really want to try it again, I'd recommend to at least wait until the start of the next expansion. But IMO, you're better off just finding something else to kill time until something new comes out. WoW is finally on the decline.. I don't have a single friend that still plays it.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The answer is "do whatever you feel is right".  Contrary to popular belief nobody can tell you whether or not you're going to like a game or not.  I currently play, but mainly for my longtime friends, pet battles and helping others out.  If I were you, I would get a scroll of resurrection from a current player, this will give you some free game time to play, and an instant level 85 of your choice.  You could choose to play a class you never had but always wanted to before.  For $10 the sale on MoP is a steal too.  MoP isn't much different than WotLK.  I enjoy the bosses though, since for most of them you're almost never standing there mashing buttons.
  • RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    I didn't think MoP was that bad. If you are planning on getting the new expansion you might as well pick up MoP to play in the meantime so you can hit cap and be ready for the new stuff. Unless you want to get an instant 90.... Then you can just wait till the new expansion.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

So this is what I gather.

Other than new content, its pretty much the same if not worse than WOTLK. Blaze through instances with no talking at all. 

Like I said before, it seems like the only way I could enjoy playing again is if I find a friendly yet serious RP guild. 

I do have GW2 and its free to play, so I might just hold off on WOW for now. 

I was really hoping that Blizz learned their lesson and went back to how it used to be, but I guess $$$ is $$$.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

I did and I got bored before sub expired ..... decide by your self  for me was enough unfortunately  1 month not more

To be honest I play now more GW  than WOW .... so sad :_(

• XanitraXanitra Member Posts: 26
    I thought Cataclysm was bad, but mop is even worse. Any amount of time doing anything else is better spent than playing that garbage. So to answer your question, 'no' avoid at all costs.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If you enjoy achieve hunting and lore and look forward to the next expansion I would buy for sure. Cata and mop were meh but some great zones to okay (just skip all the Grindy daily crap and play what you fancy knowing that there is a gear reset next expansion/year anyway.

Raiding is full of jaded players, fun to dip into (start at flex it's slightly less face roll with more tactics. Also get one of the raid planning adding-makes it much easier to do content.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Unless you have alot of real life friends playing there is literally zero reason to play WoW right now. The game is pretty much on intern autopilot while they work on Titan.