Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: The Curtain Falls

Comments

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Ea has quite a pile of corpses in the mmo genre. 

Yes they do. But I suspect NCsoft has even more.  I was sad to see Warhammer go, but it was all too predictable.  I hope the tech staff all manage to find new jobs.

Lets count NC Soft: AutoAssault, Dungeon runners, Dragonica, Tabula Rasa

EA: E&B, WAR

But EA dont kill games it kills developers here the list is quite long, to mention only the better: Orgin, Bullfrog, Maxis, Westwood, Mythic, Dice, Pandemic. On life support  Bioware.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I too am sad that this great game ends today, I had quite a few very happy years playing this game.

So little was done to improve War by EA, those incharge should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen.

• DeadalusprimeDeadalusprime Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Now I wish I would've taken my friends offer of playing this game. I tried a sample of it and enjoyed it immensely. Now I won't have that chance again. sigh
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

The question is, How they finally figured out how NOT to make a game or how NOT to support it,?

Maybe then, they will finally start to make some good money...

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Hokie

And I'll remember it like the SWG vets remember Star Wars Galaxies.

I suspect that in a year or so WAR will join SWG as a favorite cup of Kool Aid with the rose coloured glasses crowd.

Personally I liked WAR quite a lot. It was the first, and I suspect will remain the only, PvP-based game I've enjoyed. The PvE was just dreadful, as often as not broken, but since you could level from the get-go in PvP it didn't matter. The community was surprisingly good, at least in-game Destro side on my server -- the forums, as usual, could be quite another matter. Unlike most, or at least it would seem, I enjoyed the keep takes. Sure, sometimes they were just PvDoor, but I have fond memories of many, many times being outnumbered and outpowered and yet still managing to take or hold a keep.

If only the cities had been half as fun as getting to them could be.

• bladedancerbladedancer Member UncommonPosts: 40

Indeed WAR is/was a wasted opportunity, I believe it could have been saved, I played it for about 2 months at launch with a friend, we quit soon after that, just felt like something was missing, in hindsight I think we didn't give it enough time to properly try it out.

I've played the free part from time to time since, and would have even contemplated subbing again for a month (though F2P should've been tried with this game tbh).

Hey ho, R.I.P. WAR, despite, or maybe thanks to, the love/hate relationship, you will be missed.

Peter Griffin: you know those germans, if you dont join the party, they?ll come get ya

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by wilq

Yes they do. But I suspect NCsoft has even more.  I was sad to see Warhammer go, but it was all too predictable.  I hope the tech staff all manage to find new jobs.

But EA dont kill games it kills developers here the list is quite long, to mention only the better: Orgin, Bullfrog, Maxis, Westwood, Mythic, Dice, Pandemic. On life support  Bioware.

Good points. But NCsofts count is actually nine MMOs. Check this list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCSOFT

Add Exteel,  Point Blank (Korean server), City of Heroes,  Linage (NA server), and Trickster to the list.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    They have lost me years ago ... but I'm stil sad. Was counting to try at some time but now will not happen. I will mainly remember it as MMO with most fun "battlegrounds". Never will forget that great feeling catapulting enemy in lava pool. Or drowning myself in after being catapulted down. :-)
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by syltmacka
    it could had been a good game, dunno what happened. RIP.

EA happened to it.

cities got minimized (from 3 per faction to 1) and basically everything that was cool was removed in beta already. 

was a good game that seriously god nerfed by it's publisher.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

F2P in one year!!

Wait , what is this about ?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

THis game rocked so hard the first 3-4 weeks. 

Zones were packed, pvp scenarios were exciting, PQs were shooting off, dungeons were ran... WAR had some of the best classes in a mmo ever. 

Sadly once that month passed it fell apart. THe min maxers figured out it was better to avoid a fight in the open world, queues stopped popping, classes became grossly OP, Zones emptied and became level 1 PQ farms... 

Oh well i had fun that month, was a good experience. Thanks Mythic. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Your post was perfect, up until DICE being dead and Bioware on life support...

• o-breedo-breed Member CommonPosts: 51
    Why don't we make a Anti-EA demonstration every year? Burning new copys of BF4 and so on...? ^^
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Diavor
    Why don't we make a Anti-EA demonstration every year? Burning new copys of BF4 and so on...? ^^

Then EA would love us, they sell copies of games, and don't have to support the server load of those copies XD

I'll miss WAR.  It was fun for the first few months, but after that I knew that they had given up on support.  The original Tier 4 keeps were epic, but too many people caused crashes.  I would've rather crashed 50 times and got to play 1 minute, than play all day with no crashes on what came after.  Why can't they make a game like DAoC where you could support 100v100v100.  Kinda sad that a game so old runs better than anything since lol.

• KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29

Sorry some of you thought is was a POS ( and in some ways it was), but time and time again people agreed it was the best fantasy based pvp mmo on the market.

I loved LOVED my Swordmaster. I was told time and again it was a gimp class, but proceeded to wreck shop with her regardless. It's the closest thing I have played to my beloved DAoC Champikeen. I love the fact that tanks mattered, we were the ultimate CC in the game.

Mini-maxers take all the fun out of mmos, hence the millions of witch elves and DoKs that ran around.

Do EA even have gamers on their executive staff?

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    RIP

RIP Orc Choppa

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I was one that waited for this game, pre-ordered and everything. If WAR could have built all of the game like the first zone and opened the world up it might have made it. I just hope that the new MMO's that are coming out have taken notes on why a AAA MMO like WAR failed. Bye WAR sad to see any MMO die.

Peace

Lascer

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by syltmacka
    it could had been a good game, dunno what happened. RIP.

EA happened to it.

cities got minimized (from 3 per faction to 1) and basically everything that was cool was removed in beta already. 

was a good game that seriously god nerfed by it's publisher.

Mark Jacobs and Mythic happened to it first.

They botched that game from the start.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Wow that was a short life for such a game, Tabula Rasa was shut down faster (~2 years) but that was due to NCSoft's actions considering their fued with Richard Garriot, not the devs' decision.

I played the trial years ago and it felt a lot like Vanguard, it didn't interest me.

EDIT- oops forgot about Earthrise, 1 year for that game... LMAO.

Originally posted by Kuroi

Sorry some of you thought is was a POS ( and in some ways it was), but time and time again people agreed it was the best fantasy based pvp mmo on the market.

What good is that when other fantasy based MMOs who wrnt soley PVP based, had much better and balanced PVP?

The sheer fact that it wasn't anywhere near better at its one thing it focused on than other MMOs in general, is a testiment to why it is now no longer running.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    I got this as a gift.  I couldn't really get into it though.  Nevertheless, I feel bad for all the people who gave it a shot and liked it for what it was.  Ya'll deserve better.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Well there is still Rift. Its 90% Warhammer.
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Blasphemy. BF4 is epic! Feel free to burn Mass Effect 3 or any of those console ports though.

Originally posted by mCalvert

Blasphemy. BF4 is epic! Feel free to burn Mass Effect 3 or any of those console ports though.

Mass effect 3 was the best in the series, up until the ending.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by doodphace

Your post was perfect, up until DICE being dead and Bioware on life support...

Actually, you forgot NC Soft's killing of City of Heroes, arguably part of the reason superhero stuff is so popular nowadays.

And yes, I do agree that Bioware is on life support.  Clearly, from the last few games they've released, their quality control and attention to detail have suffered at the hands of their new EA overlords.  I think Dragon Age Origins was the last title that Bioware did without much interference.