Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: The Curtain Falls

Comments

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Sovrath

"Pours a 40 on the curb ... "

I absolutely loved my Swordmaster. Loved it. Loved the art design, how it carried the sword, how it whipped it around to fight, loved the knock back; loved it.

My great disappointment came when I was finally in my first siege, and we took the fortress and suddenly the enemy was streaming down on us and we were holding them at the gates and suddenly someone said "what are we doing here? Just skirmishing? Let's go" and then everyone went to TAKE ANOTHER FORTRESS!.

It was at that point I realized that they were just for taking and not really "holding". No need to as the timer would run out shortly and it would be taken and we'd take it back. I guess.

I just let chaos swarm over my character as I had no will to go on.

So yeah. This is what it felt like ...

and I had no Sophie Marceau to comfort me...

Your story will be remembered for eons to come...

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Best RvR game I have ever played. Definitely going to miss my Ironbreaker and Runepriest. WAR provided me with the most fun I'd ever had in an MMO. It had its issues, but overall unlike others, they weren't game breaking for me! I just absolutely loved this game. I wish it had gone free to play. 
  • mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    If WAR was the best RvR game you ever played, go check out DaoC. Superior in so many ways, even with it being older. It's what they were trying to go for but missed.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Kuroi
    I loved this game. Best PvP game around, with a great community.

Lets not immediatly get out our rose colored glasses please....the game (like many others which are now shut down) failed because it was genuinly not a very good game.

Unbalanced mess with Bright Wizzard 2 shotting everyione for well over 2 years after launch? PVP being completely emptry in Tier 2 and 3? Having almost 0 PVE content to speak of?

Those are just a fraction of the reasons why its shutting down.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    WAR was a trainwreck of a game.  This thread is like reading an obituary about some random douchebag where people suddenly seem to forget how horrid of a person he was now that he's dead.

You make me like charity

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    WAR was a trainwreck of a game.  This thread is like reading an obituary about some random douchebag where people suddenly seem to forget how horrid of a person he was now that he's dead.

LOL exactly...

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    May this turd forever float down the river of forgetfulness.  I still  believe that because of this title, Dark Age of Camelot 2 was never a thought - forever buried and forgotten.  

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

This game was absolutely BORING. Unless you were in a guild that had players to play with and run around the world it had nothing to offer that other MMO's already had. Once you've reached T2 it was a dead world, you're often stuck playing ny yourself or doing those public quests by yourself only to figure out that you cant beat the LAST step ALONE because everyone was just too busy grinding points and levels in the BG's. So all you had to do was queue up every single time and gained levels that way and you also got pvp points, making RvR OBSELETE! When I reached T3 or level 30+ not a single person was around.

To make things worse, ( you'd think EA learned their lesson) Star Wars followed the same EXACT thing except the public quest. Sit around queue up and level up and get pvp points and buy your pvp gear. The only real reason you would wanna go around exploring planets was to collect datacrons and do your story line.

The only fun thing I could remember was doing the t1 BG's. My friend (who didnt wanna do anything except stay in T1 and not go beyond that) who played the dwarf tank and I being the human rune priest would take on the whole chaos team and wipe out 5-6 of them before we die was pretty much the highlight of my experience.

Witch Elves hated me with a passion when I played my white lion. I always try to target them BEFORE they stealth and send my pet on them after. Which in turn would drop their stealth, it was easy picking.

Originally posted by mackdawg19
    If WAR was the best RvR game you ever played, go check out DaoC. Superior in so many ways, even with it being older. It's what they were trying to go for but missed.

I was a huge fan of DaoC! I was one of those DaoC vets that was super excited for WAR when it came out. I liked WAR a lot more, and I had many reasons for it. The biggest being the faction systems. Everyone always comments on how DaoC's 3 faction system works the best for RvR, and that might be true for the majority of people's play style, but not mine. 

I will say this, the 3 faction system worked well for balancing RvR, but in my opinion the 2 faction system just has better RvR. One of the reasons the game failed was because on a lot of servers 1 side was completely rolling the other side. Most people took that as a negative, I took it as a positive, it was a greater challenge and was better for competition. That made it considerably more fun for me, and why I'd still play WAR over DaoC any day. I was also fortunate enough to find a very talented bunch of players on the server Praag, and when our warband went out onto the battle field, it was clear the impact we were having. Sure we were getting our faces rolled for the longest time because the destruction on the server outnumbered the order, but once we got things organized among the individual guilds, we could make legitimate pushes for their fortresses, that we could never do before. 

I'm not really sure how long after the launch it was, but server transfers began, and my guild transferred over to the badlands server, which ended up becoming the final NA server live at the end. This server was extremely balanced, one side didn't really have an advantage over there other, it just depended on who showed up to the battlefield and the tactics that were used.

I had one distinct memory from this server at a t4 dwarfen castle. There were about 10 of us, it was Knights of Order (the guild I was in), and another guild(can't remember the name, but the guild leaders name was fourhundred). Our guilds constantly worked together in RvR, scenarios, or PvE. Basically what was happening was destro was pushing to gain control of the contested dwarven t4 zone. Most of the order zerg was in an elven zone trying to push it. About 40-50 destro were outside beating on the door, while the 10 of us are patiently waiting inside for my influence and another ironbreakers influence to get capped out. We both had rock slam equipped which was a frontal AoE that did a load of damage, the 2 rock slams combined could destroy just about anyone. So we all exited through the back of the keep and flanked the 40-50 destro players on their right back side. That allowed us to take out a majority of their healers almost instantly. So we fired off our rock slams, and anyone else with an AoE quickly used it, and the 10 of us ended up killing all of the 40 something destro rather easily because of our coordination and timing. It was one of the fondest memories I had of the game! My name was Zakgrin, and the other Ironbreaker was Baali. 

The Ironbreaker was also the most well balanced and elegantly designed classes I've probably ever played in a game. Of course, the class design for many of the other classes was poor, making them either underpowered or extremely OP, but it was still a blast. 

• paulp146paulp146 Member UncommonPosts: 36

""sheds silent tear""

bai bai warhammer online.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Black Orc was by far the 'tankiest' tank class I've ever played, both in PvP and PvE. Only tank class which actually took concentrated firepower by several DPS to bring down, and even then it kept them busy for five minutes. And if you were melee, forget about going anywhere until the BO was dead. Between stuns, roots, and snares, it'd keep you right where you were until help arrived.

Plus it was the only MMO I've played which did shields right by allowing block chance to apply to spell projectiles (like fireballs). Why has no other MMO ever done this? It makes perfect sense and should be the rule, not the exception.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Plus it was the only MMO I've played which did shields right by allowing block chance to apply to spell projectiles (like fireballs). Why has no other MMO ever done this? It makes perfect sense and should be the rule, not the exception.

A shield blocking a fireball makes perfect sense ? I guess if I was holding the shield and the fireball was coming at me I might have a better incentive to argue for that point :)

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by DamonVile

A shield blocking a fireball makes perfect sense ? I guess if I was holding the shield and the fireball was coming at me I might have a better incentive to argue for that point :)

I wonder if a tank would survive a nuclear bomb?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Well, yes it does actually. Technically it would bounce off and plop into a pile of fire on the ground. Assuming it had some type of core to it.

If a fireball has no core and is pure fire, then it would hit metal and simply dissipate as it spread to the edges.

Of course we're talking about imaginary magical fire, but even magical fire somehow doesn't burn cloth wearers cloths completely off, so I don't see why a slab of metal isn't effective at stopping it.

So yeah, it makes sense. lol

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Btw, WAR has some of the best concept art ever. And it's classes like Disciple of Kaine, Shadow Warrior, Warrior Priest, Zealot and such has some of the best design and looks of any class in any mmo... but it comes naturally with the ip i guess :)
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Black Orc was by far the 'tankiest' tank class I've ever played, both in PvP and PvE. Only tank class which actually took concentrated firepower by several DPS to bring down, and even then it kept them busy for five minutes. And if you were melee, forget about going anywhere until the BO was dead. Between stuns, roots, and snares, it'd keep you right where you were until help arrived.

If it takes five minutes for several DPS to bring a tank down, then the tank is broken.  Which was pretty much the core issue with the game; broken classes.  You had a few that worked *very* well, and the rest just kind of not really.

You make me like charity

• dandy230dandy230 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Welp. Time to toss another MMO boxed copy in the trash... sigh.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by black_isle
    Btw, WAR has some of the best concept art ever. And it's classes like Disciple of Kaine, Shadow Warrior, Warrior Priest, Zealot and such has some of the best design and looks of any class in any mmo... but it comes naturally with the ip i guess :)

I agree.  I still look at my collectors edition game art book.  There is some nice work in it.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by asmkm22

If it takes five minutes for several DPS to bring a tank down, then the tank is broken.  Which was pretty much the core issue with the game; broken classes.  You had a few that worked *very* well, and the rest just kind of not really.

It didn't take 5 minutes, but the black orcs were rather tanky compared to the other tanks. Black Orcs were considered one of the underpowered tanks. Chosen and Kotbs were considered the OP tanks. 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I will miss WAR. And I'll remember it like the SWG vets remember Star Wars Galaxies.

Ive ranted pretty hardcore about what I thought EA/Mythic did wrong and who was responsible and was told in no uncertain term by a few of my friends in the industry that I wasnt that far off the Mark on a lot of it.

Ohh well, snapped a lot of screenies when I played. I can look thru those while dropping tears on my keyboard.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I wonder if my signed copy will be worth anything.
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Instead of releasing it on Steam as a F2P game , they closed it! Idiots
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Loved the graphics.  Public quests were fun.  Pvp was good sometimes but felt too imbalanced to enjoy.

It's always sad to see a game close the doors forever.  It's like a whole imaginary world just winked out. 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg
    I wonder if my signed copy will be worth anything.

You know its kinda sad (in a way) that the only collectors edition that I truly thought I got my moneys worth was WAR's

Ive actually have it stashed away with some of my $200 comics.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Ea has quite a pile of corpses in the mmo genre. 

Yes they do. But I suspect NCsoft has even more.  I was sad to see Warhammer go, but it was all too predictable.  I hope the tech staff all manage to find new jobs.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."