Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What video settings and .ini file settings should I use?

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
I want the game to look the BEST that it possibly can and there only seems to be guides on how to make it run good (aka look like poop). What are the best settings and what should I change in the .ini file to make the game look the best that it can? Thanks.

Smile

Comments

• Rohirrim1Rohirrim1 Member UncommonPosts: 30

I was playing Vanguard one day and saw someone in general chat ask about some of the settings,and what they had it set at.I copied it down and tried it and I thought woh ! that looks Uber  :^)       

Just type this below into the chat window and your good to go .         <>.<>

/setfog  90000, 2000000, 90, 60, 120

Hope this helps and enjoy ^^   

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. If anyone else has advice, keep the tips rolling :)

Smile

Originally posted by Rohirrim1

I was playing Vanguard one day and saw someone in general chat ask about some of the settings,and what they had it set at.I copied it down and tried it and I thought woh ! that looks Uber  :^)       

Just type this below into the chat window and your good to go .         <>.<>

/setfog  90000, 2000000, 90, 60, 120

Hope this helps and enjoy ^^   

That somehow made the appearance of my goblin change into the appearance of a gnome... What the heck?

Edit: Never mind. It was because I ate one of those holiday candies. I actually didn't really notice that huge of a difference when I did that command though. What was this supposed to do exactly?

Smile

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

The setfog command in game does what it sounds like, it will set the fog distance to specific distances and color hues. If you were to just type /setfog 99999999 it sets the max distance way far away so you can see forever. It looks a bit unnatural on the horizons to do that, but you can. The settings listed above are probably a little more normal while still pushing the max distance back.

As for settings, how's your machine, can you run the game on max in-game settings okay? There's one setting in particular in the sysconfig.ini file (going from memory here since I'm at work). Not far into that file there should be a line that says something like:

SystemCache=32M

Change the 32M to 256M and the game should run significantly smoother. The only problem is you have to do it again every time you patch, because the patcher will replace the modified file with the standard one. So you have to let it patch and then edit it before you click play. I made an edited version of the script and have it around, then use a script to copy it before hitting play.

Originally posted by Dirkin

The setfog command in game does what it sounds like, it will set the fog distance to specific distances and color hues. If you were to just type /setfog 99999999 it sets the max distance way far away so you can see forever. It looks a bit unnatural on the horizons to do that, but you can. The settings listed above are probably a little more normal while still pushing the max distance back.

As for settings, how's your machine, can you run the game on max in-game settings okay? There's one setting in particular in the sysconfig.ini file (going from memory here since I'm at work). Not far into that file there should be a line that says something like:

SystemCache=32M

Change the 32M to 256M and the game should run significantly smoother. The only problem is you have to do it again every time you patch, because the patcher will replace the modified file with the standard one. So you have to let it patch and then edit it before you click play. I made an edited version of the script and have it around, then use a script to copy it before hitting play.

Yeah, I already set everything to the highest settings in-game so my machine can handle it. Also, did you perhaps mean CacheSizeMegs=32 and to change that to 256? I'm not seeing a SystemCache=32M.

Smile

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

You might want to check out Beau's immersion rules for enhanced game play.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This is nice and everything, but I think you misunderstood something in the thread because I am asking how to make the game graphically appear at it's best. As in what tweaks should I make to the .ini files.

Smile

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Yeah, I already set everything to the highest settings in-game so my machine can handle it. Also, did you perhaps mean CacheSizeMegs=32 and to change that to 256? I'm not seeing a SystemCache=32M.

Yeah that's what I was after.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

This is nice and everything, but I think you misunderstood something in the thread because I am asking how to make the game graphically appear at it's best. As in what tweaks should I make to the .ini files.

I honestly don't think you need to. I have every set to max and the game looks great.

I don't think any teaks are going to make significant difference.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    This is actually getting pretty frustrating to be honest. I've looked at so many guides and sites and they are all guides for performance not quality (best graphics). I know everything to do with the in-game settings but the ini. file and sysconfig file, not so much.

Smile

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

What are you looking for?  Don't think anyone knows anything else.  You are looking for some secret that is "unpublished" or something.  The game has changed so much in the 7 years its been out that most of those performance tweaks are also outdated.  SSD is the only way to play the game and turn the grx up.  Nuff said.