Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List Five Cancelled MMO's you would play if they released them Today!

Comments

• Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Ultima X: Odyssey
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'd certainly try Earth and Beyond after all I used to hear about it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Auto Assault.   

Uhh that's it

I would've liked to have tried Auto Assault.  They must've done a terrible job advertising that game because the first time I heard of it was the closure announcement.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

City of Heroes.   Sadly killed, even while still making a profit, to gain NCSoft an accounting trick on their books.

Most of the others don't particularly interest me, but I'd like to see them back for the die hard fans.  Especially the ones that didn't really have time to develop.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

5?

UXO

UO2

E&B

True Fantasy Live Online (hell yeah OP)

Project Copernicus (might have been sweet?)

And am I like, the only person who played SWG in 2003-2004 who thinks the game was pretty horrible and the only thing going for it was the IP?

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Auto Assault.   

Uhh that's it

I would've liked to have tried Auto Assault.  They must've done a terrible job advertising that game because the first time I heard of it was the closure announcement.

Auto Assault was alot of fun in many ways, but when it came down to it, it was just too Instanced Linear Themepark.

And then of course NCSoft was the Publisher so.......

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103

None, games were cancelled for a reason and it was not because they were fun or good. I wonder why you people that keep bringing back those "What if" scenarios are hoping to accomplish with those questions?

It's possible that you really did like those games, but they had their shot and they failed, if the games were released again today, they would fail again. All of the games that are mentioned lacked in the quality department.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I missed out on Tabla Rasa.  I think it was in one of the periods when I was more focused on non-gaming issues at the time.  From the little I know of it, I would like to see it, but don't really think this would have survived long term.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Tabula Rasa

City of Heroes

Huxley

WELL Online

The Agency

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• zinnikeyszinnikeys Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Chronicles of Spellborn
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Auto Assault

Dark and Light

Earth and Beyond

Family Guy Online

The Chronicles of Spellborn

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by causs

3. Auto Assault = I remember seeing screenshots and videos as a younger kid. I am a huge Interstate '76 fan. So seeing those cars with guns, I was instantly sold. However, I didn't have the money or capabilities to pay for a subscription. 

It was a great and fun game, not exactly like I'76 but there were similarities. The vehicles were much sturdier, the terrain too, and you could arm them up to the roof :)

There are some vids on yt, sadly the quality isn't top notch... (I think I've played it on 1024x768 back then)

http://youtu.be/VSPjIgoQedk

or the Backfire, I remember I never could do it solo on level either :)  http://youtu.be/VjMI00_464k

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by azonic69

None, games were cancelled for a reason and it was not because they were fun or good. I wonder why you people that keep bringing back those "What if" scenarios are hoping to accomplish with those questions?

It's possible that you really did like those games, but they had their shot and they failed, if the games were released again today, they would fail again. All of the games that are mentioned lacked in the quality department.

What harm is there in saying which games you'd like to play or play again? Don't wanna participate? There are other threads.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

1. Dungeon Runners: So much fun in a less pretentious game - I miss my Bling Gnome and the great community

2. Chronicles of Spellborn: Loved the atmosphere, the skill-wheel/deck but they failed SO hard with regionlock and distribution.

3-4-5: Sorry, I lack the sophistication to miss SWG, Autoassault, Shadowbane and others... They were unfun to me then and would be so*10 today.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by azonic69

Is that what they are teaching in Jr. High business classes these days?

The MMO biz (and much other business) is not nearly as cut and dried as all that.   Not my experiance on a lot of these games at all.  Now, management, sometimes they do lack in the quality department.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

SWG but only if it was patched to the pre-Combat Update. SoE to this day does not understand what an incredible MMO they had and destroyed with their CU and NGE.

I would go back to CoH for a bit but wouldn't stay for long. Sidekicking was probably the best idea ever in a MMO mentoring system.

• DolnorDolnor Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Nadia

1. Dungeon Runners  (mmo lite)

2. Tabula Rasa

3. City of Heroes

4. Earth and Beyond

5. SWG

Ditto!

TQQdles™

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    The only one that I would even consider giving some of my modern time to would be EQOA, the original console MMO.  Hell they still have a webpage dedicated to taunting and thanking those those who happily played through the many years the game was available.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Star Wars Galaxies (pre NGE) in a heartbeat.
  • M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47

1. Star Wars Galaxies

2. Tabula Rasa

3. City of Heroes

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

1. SWG pre-NGE

2. UO 2

3. Auto Assault (F-U NCSoft, just F-U)

4 and 5 ....really nothing else I would care about

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67

1. Chronicles of Spellborn

2. CIty of Heroes/Villains

3. Matrix Online (never got around to try this one; I'd really like to, though)

And I wished they'd continue content development for GW1, I know, it's still online, but since it will stay like this forever, it's only a matter of time.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

The Chronicles of Spellborn.

In all my years of gaming I have never witnessed such an absolute waste of potential. It had such a firm base for more development: Beautiful world, unique and fun combat system, quests which weren't amazing but you did them just for the hilarious text, armor which was purely cosmetic (you upgraded via runes). The game was so different from the rest and yet so unsupported.

It was ready for more features to fill it out and turn it into a great game. Yet the company developing it went bankrupt, Acclaim put in on life-support but never seemed to have any intention of going much further than that.

I bought the game so I could go beyond the level 9 trial cap, I remember Acclaim actually tried to charged me twice (unsuccessfully). I played for a while until I hit the undeveloped later levels, this plus increasing server-side lag made me quit eventually. Several weeks later it shutdown.

I can't list five games, only this one.

O_o o_O

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

If re-released as they were when live, i'd play TR again, that's about it.

I loved SWG and everything it did and tried to do, but i wouldn't go back to playing it.   I would definitely play some sort of updated version of it though.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    i miss City of heroes :( , was fun as hell