Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: We Can Be Heroes

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "We Can Be Heroes" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I think it would have been funnier to then cut away to Captain Maree Suh on his computer surrounded by pizza boxes with discarded energy drinks everywhere and his eyes all red with little cracks going through them with a lack of sleep.

I sort of thought that was where it was going at first.

Smile

• Yeah, this one kinda flew right over my head the first few times I read it.

I think the purpose of it was to show the difference between what MMOs promise you can do in the world compared to what you really end up doing. This is much more true for first gen MMOs like Everquest and Ultima Online.

I think Razeekster has a good direction for the comic, that the only way you could acomplish so many things in game would be to dedicate life to it.

The other direction it could have gone, while keeping with the original theme is a starry eyed new player saying how cool the NPC is and how they are going to follow the path the NPC did to heroics and fortune, only to find themselves disapointingly slaying rats rather then giant monsters.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

To me the msg was if you try and let everyone be a hero, no one ends up being one.

Same thing in real life I guess. When you hand out participation ribbons instead of first place it becomes meaningless to even have the competition in the first place. 

MMos have always been bad for that. Everyone has to be able to experience everything and be everything so nothing in them is ever really all that special.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by DamonVile

To me the msg was if you try and let everyone be a hero, no one ends up being one.

Same thing in real life I guess. When you hand out participation ribbons instead of first place it becomes meaningless to even have the competition in the first place. 

MMos have always been bad for that. Everyone has to be able to experience everything and be everything so nothing in them is ever really all that special.

It's why story-wise, I've always found RPG games preferable over MMOs. MMOs never seem to do very well on the story or lore front, at least not in-game.

Smile

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Razeekster

It's why story-wise, I've always found RPG games preferable over MMOs. MMOs never seem to do very well on the story or lore front, at least not in-game.

Yup I totally agree. To it's credit swtor is the only mmo I've ever played that I thought had a good story....mostly because it was a single player game with some lame mmo features wrapped around it.

Most mmos story to me feels like I'm reading a bad hacked up book while being told to go kill rats or feed cows :)

• Originally posted by DamonVile

I didn't even think of it like that. This comic makes a lot more sense when looking at it from that perspective.

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

This is why I've been begging developers to focus on challenge. You simply don't feel like a hero when any  6 year old can sit down and conquer the content face-rolling.

Focus on Challenge and people will strive to get better. The term progression was used for more than loot. Blizzard totally misinterpreted the use idea and stripped from it everything but the steady and easily attainable progress of loot. (FaiL!)

Make everything a quick run for loot and they run thru it once or twice, yawn, and then move on to another game.  

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    This illustrates why I hate most GW2 heart quests, they are mindnumbing boring, repetitive, and unepic. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think this is meaning to posters what they want it to mean. A bit like modern art. :)
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

When I read the title of the thread I thought Dave Bowie had released an mmorpg.

Dam .. I cannot stop singing it in my mind. ... for we can be heroes just for one day ..... .

• JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36

I think that if I could have 'Genius Scientis' as my in-game statue's epitaph - I'd sub 4-Life!

Proof-reading FTW!  :)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Once again y’all prove when it comes to reading comprehension there is a difference between Honor students and non-Honor students.

Defeated Every Ancient Evil in last three expansions

• Kill Rats 6/18

Involved in Every Major Event in Current Lore

• Feed Cows 0/8
    • Entertain Children 0/12

At the beginning of the list of Ancient Evil is “Killed 18 Rats.”  At the beginning of the list of Major Events are “Fed 8 Cows”, and  “Entertained 12 Children.”

The True meaning, you don’t start a Hero’s Journey as a Hero.  You finish as a Hero.

There are two ways to play an MMO, solo or in groups.  Quest have levels associated with them.  If you do Quest Level (QL) <= Solo Player Level, then the journey will seem weak.  But if you take that Journey in a group where QL >= Sum of Group Level.  Then the journey will truly seem Heroic.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.