Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most frustrating experience I've had yet

UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Purchased the game back when it released, and played for a couple of months.  A few weeks ago I decided to play it some, but I can't remember my password. 

Remembering my password is odd, since when I try to log into my account to download the game it automatically puts the password in for me, which means that I saved it with the browser option.  That and I was pretty sure I knew the password. 

No big deal, I do this often and need to reset passwords on a rather regular basis because I never remember them.  Click the link for the "can't remember password".  They want information I don't have, like the serial code that was emailed to me when I purchased the game.  Obviously I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed because I don't have the email with the serial code, which is also odd to me because I'm sure if the email had said that I would need this code in order to change my password in future, and knowing how I constantly need to do that, I would have saved the email.  Alas, I did not save the email. 

So I email support and explain to them what's going on.  This was a few weeks ago.  They wanted other information, like what server was I on, what was the date I purchased the game, when was the last time I played, what are my character names and professions, what credit cards did I use.  Some of this I could give them, mainly what race and class my characters where, and even a couple of names; the rest, however, not possible.  Something like 6 emails all asking me for the same information over and over again.

After a few weeks, in which I heard nothing from Arena net over the last week, I get an email with a link to reset my password as well as a thanks for being patient. 

The link doesn't work. 

Right this moment, I seriously @#%$&; hate Arena net. 

/endrant

Comments

• azeraaronazeraaron Member UncommonPosts: 7
    i had the same problem and gave up...not really worth goin bak to anyway
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You know - those emails are for 24 hours - it says so. If you didn't use it,  your fault. Also, A.Net is only 250 people not the size of many of the other MMO companies out there.

Also, make sure the email is from A.Net and not a phishing email. There are seriously, many emails out there that are total fakes. I bet you got duped by one of them.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by botrytis

You know - those emails are for 24 hours - it says so. If you didn't use it,  your fault. Also, A.Net is only 250 people not the size of many of the other MMO companies out there.

Also, make sure the email is from A.Net and not a phishing email. There are seriously, many emails out there that are total fakes. I bet you got duped by one of them.

ArenaNet's password system and their security are seriously flawed. I have malwarebytes and use adblock on pretty much every site (not on MMORPG.com though) and never save my password online, and yet somehow I've had my password taken from IPs that range from Nevada to Quebec, Canada.

It got to the point where I emailed ArenaNet telling them I was sick of changing my password because of their terrible security and after that email it never happened again which seems oddly suspicious to me.

Smile

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I mean this in the most polite way possible, but people who can't keep on top of their purchases (serial code, password, etc) should lose their purchases when something like this happens. The easier it is for people like the OP to regain their purchases makes it easier for hackers and thieves to steal accounts. 

The OP has admitted that at their own fault did they lose track of important details, the funny thing is, that it still sounds like they feel it's Anet's problem.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I created an E-mail account especially for GW2, nothing else, Unique 25+ Characters Password. Same with the GW2 login, that E-mail and another unique 25+ Character password, stored inside the game login. I've gotten many scam mails on my other accounts, never this one.

If you take security seriously, you won't have this problem.

imageimage
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

The reset email was sent this morning; which means it didn't work only a few hours after being sent. 

The password reset itself wasn't working, they had to change the password in my account for me, because when I tried to do it it kept saying that the password was already used, no matter what I put in, right down to a completely random string of letters and numbers. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Uhwop

The reset email was sent this morning; which means it didn't work only a few hours after being sent. 

The password reset itself wasn't working, they had to change the password in my account for me, because when I tried to do it it kept saying that the password was already used, no matter what I put in, right down to a completely random string of letters and numbers. 

I know they blacklisted every single password already used, but the odds of a long totally random string being already used are slim. Maybe they messed up, maybe you first attempts just weren't unique enough. Either way it should have worked, that is if your password met the minimum requirements.

imageimage
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I mean this in the most polite way possible, but people who can't keep on top of their purchases (serial code, password, etc) should lose their purchases when something like this happens. The easier it is for people like the OP to regain their purchases makes it easier for hackers and thieves to steal accounts. 

The OP has admitted that at their own fault did they lose track of important details, the funny thing is, that it still sounds like they feel it's Anet's problem.

The sarcasm was pretty thick I thought. 

Anet is the ONLY game company that has ever required me to use the serial code in order to change my password, I change my passwords regularly for both security reasons and because I tend to forget my passwords. 

I shouldn't have had to change the password to begin with, it was saved to the site through my browser; not to mention I KNEW the password, as I stated. 

I have no idea why my password wouldn't work.  The nearest I can figure is I moved so my IP address changed so they weren't allowing me access.  Even then, every other game that I've had to log into since moving that has thrown up a flag for a changed IP address has simply sent me an email to verify that I was actually trying to log in from a different IP then before. 

Also like I stated, the email for my serial code never said that I would need that code a year later just to change my password. 

No, it wasn't my fault, and according to the apology that Anet emailed me I'm pretty sure it was entirely theirs. 

Needless to say, I'm able to log into my account and play now, it only took near a month to change a password though. 

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

I'm sorry but your upset because anet are taking account security serious?

*thumbs up*

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I know they blacklisted every single password already used, but the odds of a long totally random string being already used are slim. Maybe they messed up, maybe you first attempts just weren't unique enough. Either way it should have worked, that is if your password met the minimum requirements.

They weren't used, the password reset page was messing up for whatever reason.  It simply wasn't working properly.  They had to change the password for me, and then emailed me that password so I could log into the account and change the password from there. 

Originally posted by Kasp3r

*thumbs up*

No, I was frustrated that it took them almost a month to get me a password reset link and then the page that link directed me to didn't work. 

• IrishbeardIrishbeard Member UncommonPosts: 21
    If you're using Chrome, the browser allows you to see your stored passwords.
    Thankfully the game downloads at about the same speed as Anets customer service works.  image
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

*thumbs up*

Think he's upset that it took 6 weeks.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

*thumbs up*

That would indeed be the problem. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by bcbully

*thumbs up*

That would indeed be the problem. 

Strange, I recovered my login credentials once and changed my login info numerous times...all those times I was required to contact customer service to take a look at it and it took them just a few hours to change my email/password/or any help required from them.

Requiring contact with Customer Support is a good thing imo...

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• I changed my email like 7-8 times last 3 months. And all of them took like 4-5 hours to change thanks to Anet. I never waited that long for any reason...

And for the serial key. Not just Anet but Blizzard requires serial key too for forget password option. And I have my all 4 Guild Wars serials and Guild Wars 2 serial for any security problem. And for Blizzard I got my all serials too. That's a normal thing to do.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The sarcasm was pretty thick I thought. 

Anet is the ONLY game company that has ever required me to use the serial code in order to change my password, I change my passwords regularly for both security reasons and because I tend to forget my passwords. 

I shouldn't have had to change the password to begin with, it was saved to the site through my browser; not to mention I KNEW the password, as I stated. 

I have no idea why my password wouldn't work.  The nearest I can figure is I moved so my IP address changed so they weren't allowing me access.  Even then, every other game that I've had to log into since moving that has thrown up a flag for a changed IP address has simply sent me an email to verify that I was actually trying to log in from a different IP then before. 

Also like I stated, the email for my serial code never said that I would need that code a year later just to change my password. 

No, it wasn't my fault, and according to the apology that Anet emailed me I'm pretty sure it was entirely theirs. 

Needless to say, I'm able to log into my account and play now, it only took near a month to change a password though. 

Sarcasm? I didn't use any sarcasm. I was completely honest.  Sarcasm would be saying "you're right, it's not your fault that you forgot your password, and it's not your fault that you disregarded your product key." THAT would be sarcastic.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Dear OP. If THAT was your most frustrating experience ever: Consider yourself an extremely privileged person.

(I would hate to be the one to hint that there might be a few upcoming bumps down the road...)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

I created an E-mail account especially for GW2, nothing else, Unique 25+ Characters Password. Same with the GW2 login, that E-mail and another unique 25+ Character password, stored inside the game login. I've gotten many scam mails on my other accounts, never this one.

THIS

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Thank you for pre-purchasing Guild Wars 2!

IMPORTANT! Please take a moment to register your Guild Wars 2 account. 

Registering your Guild Wars 2 account lets you play the game before launch by providing you with Headstart Access and guaranteed access to all Beta Events.
    Save this e-mail for reference. If there is a problem with your order, customer support will ask you for your order number. 

Order number: XXXXX 
    Order date: 7/13/2012 
    Guild Wars 2 Digital Edition $59.99
    Serial Code: XXXXX

Online game codes can only be used to create or upgrade one game account. 

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

View answers to common questions: http://guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/

Bolded in RED. I'm not sure if you got the same e-mail though. I guess they could have made it more foolproof and explicitly state why the serial code is important.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I'd recommend learning from this experience and keeping your game-codes/receipts/etc. around for anything that you buy in the future and will use for a longer period of time (be it games, PCs, TVs, etc.). It will save you A LOT of trouble later on.

ANET takes security perhaps a bit too seriously, but honestly, I prefer them to be extra-safe rather than not-safe-enough!

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Same thing here, I have a unique email address solely for GW2 and I've never had any issues whatsoever. This can't be recommended strongly enough for any game that ties in any way to an email address.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

Please don't listen to these people OP, I don't think they understand the frustration because they're blinded by their fanboism and have to stick up for the god and savior GW2. Since that's the way they treat this game, like it's the second coming of Christ. Thou shalt not talk bad about anything GW2!!!!!

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

This.

People should always keep track of things such as Original Email, Password, CD Key, Last 4 CC numbers used, etc... 

May I friendly recommend:

The Personal Internet Address & Password Log Book by Peter Pauper Press

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Internet-Address-Password-Book/dp/1441303251/ref=pd_sim_op_3

I got two of them and they are an absolute must if you want to keep an "offline" record of your passwords, cd keys, etc...

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation