Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Um... well completely disagree about it being "WoW"...makes me want to facepalm quite hard at such ignorant statements.

None the less, no, the game isn't a threat to WoW, WoW is a threat to WoW with their design choices hurting the game far more and allowing it to decline far quicker then its age would normally cause it to do so. Wildstar will take people from it sure, but thats basically every MMo that is ever released EVER, from the Cheap F2P pump out magic of some Asian studios to the big name titles. They all take some numbers from the game, but in the end when a game loses people, its typically on THAT GAME that the losses come from, not some other game being released. 

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by rojo6934

WoW will kill itself. They lost the other 6 millions they had because of the two latest expansions, not because of the latest few mmos.

actually, titan will :) no one else.

It's seems like there is an mmo race going on right now. Which will launch first...Titan or World of darkness. The winner will kill wow :P

World of Darkness? Really? That will be more of a niche game than Eve. Anyone who doesn't believe this is seriously deluded.

Titan is the only MMO announced that has any potential at all to become the "WoW Killer" and we don't know ANYTHING about it, the only reason being it's made by Blizzard, nothing else.

Blizzard are the only ones who can kill WoW. People need to face this.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well I have read over and over again that the only thing that will kill WoW is WoW itself. Well, this is WoW with some telegraphing combat. IMHO this is nothing new. /shrug

I'm going to play it but my expectations are minimal with a hopeful chance of surprise. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    similar to WoW only better?
    well that's talked me out of it.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    The mmorpg has been restless for years now; I've seen it myself. Players don't want the next WoW; they want something new, unique and engaging. WoW has the hold on the themepark market still until Titan comes out. It will take some innovative ideas for themepark WoW like success. If an AAAsandbox mmorpg can do everything we've been asking for it will gather all the sandbox players and be close to WoW like sucess. 

MurderHerd

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I have no idea what the hype for WilsStar is at this point.  For me, it looks too similar to WOW to get me to bother.  I'd just play WOW.

I have a hard time believing it has a better chance than SWTOR or GW2 had.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

No game, including this one will hurt WoW's subs. The only game that can hurt and has caused a huge hole in WoW's subs is WoW itself.

No need to look for WoW killers anymore, There is really no such thing, it's a myth just like Santa claus

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

If I am going to play a WoW clone I will just stay where I have over 8 year invested. To many relationships that are staying to play WoW's new expansion.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Shiny.Of.MuShiny.Of.Mu Member Posts: 7
    Interesting you pointed this game to grab WoW sub. I won't be playing this game, I do not enjoy cartoon games. Same reason I didn't play WoW. I prefer real world looks to my games. I skipped WoW and  played GW. I also skipped Rodger Rabbit to watch Die Hard.
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

Yes, because all of the other "WoW-killers" we have seen over the past nine years have been hugely successful, haven't they?

How many of those games are still even operating under a sub model?  Zero, I do believe.

WoW is losing subs because it is approaching TEN years old, not because of some outside factor.  Nothing lasts forever.  It is utterly unbelievable, the fact that WildStar isn't even out yet and it's being heralded as something magical.

I'm pretty sure the thing Blizzard "knows" better than anything else is how to laugh all the way to the bank while watching their competition go from sub to f2p.

And no, I don't play WoW.  I have in the past but it's been quite a while.  But I certainly know better than to make these "prophetic" posts.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• AxeshunAxeshun Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 82

WoW killers....right.....

I am actually more interested to see if Blizz can unseat LoL?Dota 2 in the moba market.  

This WoW killer stuff  is way beyond ridiculous to even rationalize the thought.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

How can this kill WoW?

It IS WoW...

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    ...lmao

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

No, Wildstar in no Wow. There are many differences.

I like the character and creature models better in WOW.

I can't say anymore but they are very different on many levels.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It's missing one very key element that Wow has, a popular IP behind it.

This alone will hamper it's success as the average WOW player will likely never hear of it.

Its also missing Blizzard.

Also missing WoW engine and combat.

Also missing years of loot earned and friendships formed over the years of WoW play.

Missing is the emotional connection to years put into playing your character.

I mean it's combat is more enjoyable but that's just my opinion, but the third thing you posted is actually why WoW still has a lot of subs and why they loose and get back subs..lucky bastards made it right in time.(The time where p2p was legit the best choice)

[Time invested]

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BruthorBruthor Member Posts: 7
    I'm personally very excited for this game. From what I understand the combat is very fluid, there are some WoW developers involved in the Dev team, and there's Open World PvP... sounds fantastic to me. Unfortunately the business model is $20 a month, or you can earn enough in game currency within that month to afford the subscription fee without paying anything. This will most likely be my personal "next major MMORPG" when it comes out, and will remain as such until Blizzard's Titan comes out. 
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I think this game has the mass appeal to lure in non-mmo players and mmo players alike.

I recently returned to WoW and I think their certainly is a segment of the population that are looking for something else, but with some comforting familiarity. No WildStar is not a WoW clone it offers quite a bit of different features, however it does have a lot of things that will be familiar for WoW players and make it an easy transition for a lot of them. I think WildStar will bubble huge and could certainly be that next big MMO, it has polish and an attractiveness that many mmos lack, it will draw in non gamers again, it just may take time for it to reach the broader audience without some advertising outside the gaming community.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Am I missing something? The OP said that Wildstar will be having a great impact in WoW subs and not that it will kill WoW. Your only argument against op is "hey, not another WoW killer, post , thread, etc", where he was just saying that WS will be a threat to WoW. 

In fact, the only "WoW killer" line came from trolls. GG :)

PS: Yes, WS will be big and it will have a big impact to WoW subs. Deal with it .. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

We all know that it is a given that this won't even scratch WoW. So the real question is whether or not this MMO will be a success.

And I have the trump card to counter claim Wild Star's success:

NC Soft.

Granted they could possibly redeem themselves. But I don't have high hopes for it.

Had the same feelings about SWTOR. Looked interesting to play. But the company behind it didn't have a good track record.

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

We all know that it is a given that this won't even scratch WoW. So the real question is whether or not this MMO will be a success.

NC Soft.

Granted they could possibly redeem themselves. But I don't have high hopes for it.

Had the same feelings about SWTOR. Looked interesting to play. But the company behind it didn't have a good track record.

Sorry but Wildstar is amazing and if you were in beta playing it you would know that. Wildstar will not only make a huge scratch in WoW, I am predicting that after a few years, WoW will be #2 mmo behind Wildstar. 

The game is that good, and I dont care who believes me at this point since most are forming opinions on failures of previous MMOs. Wildstar does everything WoW does, in much the same way WoW does, only it does it all better. It is basically WoW++ and people love WoW, they are just bored of the same setting classes races, etc.. Wildstar offers all new stuff.

Just wait, spring 2014, the start of Wildstars rise to #1

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Thessik_Irontail
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

NC Soft.

Sorry but Wildstar is amazing and if you were in beta playing it you would know that. Wildstar will not only make a huge scratch in WoW, I am predicting that after a few years, WoW will be #2 mmo behind Wildstar. 

The game is that good, and I dont care who believes me at this point since most are forming opinions on failures of previous MMOs. Wildstar does everything WoW does, in much the same way WoW does, only it does it all better. It is basically WoW++ and people love WoW, they are just bored of the same setting classes races, etc.. Wildstar offers all new stuff.

Just wait, spring 2014, the start of Wildstars rise to #1

Its just WOW 2.0, completely boring. Go to quest giver, marked with a !, go to area and click/kill x amount of things. Within 20 minutes I had the been there done that feel.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Originally posted by colddog04
    You were the last person I expected to make a WoW killer thread.

haha believe me, I'm not saying it as a fan. In fact, this game hasn't really appealed to me as of yet. But looking at the design and systems of this game, it really does look like a sequel to WoW. And that may end up taking away a lot of subs.

Except that the only thing keep so many people playing WoW is other people.  Most that I know of seem to be playing *in spite of* WoW's "features" like stylized graphics etc..  People are tired of WoW, and simply making a better version of WoW isn't going to do much.

You make me like charity

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

A clone kills a clone...

No matter who comes out victorious here, you will be playing WOW. You can slap a different name on it, but it's still WOW.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

There hasn't been an MMO yet that hurt another MMO by stealing its active playerbase. Why do we still have this discussion?

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I don't like wow but that game will never die they will just make it free when titan comes.