Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO sequels?

CatAtomic99CatAtomic99 Member UncommonPosts: 62

Are there any older MMOs that you would play if they released a new version? Do you believe that the thing you loved about the original game would survive the update?

I'd love to play Anarchy Online 2, for instance-- but only if they kept the same complexity in the character creation/implant system. The way big MMOs have been simplified and streamlined in recent years makes me doubt that a new version would be anything like the old one, apart from location names.

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    I'd go back and play AO right this second, no sequel required, if they'd actually make any of the upgrades that they've been talking about for years, like the graphics engine upgrade.  Funcom spams me a couple of times a year begging me to come back but they haven't actually done anything to earn my return.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• dj-wedgedj-wedge Member Posts: 12

DAOC - nuff said

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69
    I'd certainly think about EQ1 again if it was done right.  A lot would have to change though and my experience says that SoE doesn't know how to manage an MMO.
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I'd play EQ1 immediately if the class roles/gameplay were preserved but with an engine/UI update.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I  value the database more than I value the IP ... you can't just reboot and expect me to follow..  On the other hand, if you could come up with a way to import data from an old game, you might have my interest.

In fact, there's an opportunity there to create a game that has some "crossroads of the multiverse" element where devs actively seek out to acquire databases of old defunct games and grind them up for lists of fluff-entitlements you can gain by linking your account to the account of one of these old games.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    If Mabinogi actually made a real sequel instead of a whole new game every time we ask for a newer better version (Vindictus).

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by pierth
    I'd play EQ1 immediately if the class roles/gameplay were preserved but with an engine/UI update.
    I would agree with that. I still log in every once in a while and enjoy my time while there. I even log into that "other" server and enjoy myself there, too :)

I would like updated graphics and a good way to keep track of quests. NOT pointers and such, but a nice journal that says "This NPC wants you to do such and such over near this place."

I would also play if they back-tracked "some" of their features, though some of the new ones I enjoy.

I would also re-sub to WoW today if they brought back their deleted class quests.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    I don't know about MMO sequels in the strictest sense. But, I would like to see AWRPG make a come back. But for that to happen AW would have to make a comeback...and that's not likely to happen.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    A fixed version of Anarchy Online would be nice, but I don't think Funcom can pull it off.