Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List Five Cancelled MMO's you would play if they released them Today!

Comments

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Swg would be my pick, I still miss running a shop, moving your harvestors etc etc.. Or just grinding mobs and materials with a droid by your side. There was something very relaxing about it.

Probably would check our Tabula Rasa if it would come out now, never played it much.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

1 SWG

2 SWG

3 SWG

4 SWG

5 SWG

That's about it :)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    As in the ops post swg, middle earth onine and star trek online.  Aswell there was a steampunk fps style mmorpg that was in the works and darkfall or mortal online, I know they're still around but they never delivered on what they promised and never will so I'm counting that part as cancelled.
  • BunglermooseBunglermoose Member Posts: 63

Tabula Rasa

Did I mention Tabula Rasa?

Star Wars Galaxies

City of Heroes

Stargate Worlds (I'm not a huge fan of the t.v. show but the game looked very interesting)

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Better say 10 MMO in last 10 years you wish never would made to it release )))
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Do you mean released today as they were back then, or released today and up to todays standards?

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

1. Shadowbane

2. WAR-As it started in beta

3. UO2

4. CoH

5. SWG

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I can only think of 2

- Dark and Light

- SWG

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Auto Assault.   

Uhh that's it

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129

1. Jumpgate evolution

2..... The rest of them should stay canceled

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

SWG without a doubt. 

I'd like to see it polished up for modern times though.  I messed around with the project that will remained unnamed, and the interface is ludicrously buggy by today's standards.

I'm really hoping The Repopulation can deliver some of that old magic, when it releases.  It's not SWG, but it has similar freedom of experience, and is much more modern.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1. Tabula Rasa

2.  Earth and Beyond  

3. Star Gate Worlds

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Sovrath

none.

Middle Earth Online "sounds" intriguing but in all honesty I have yet to see one released mmo that didn't have its detractors.

And that wasn't even released!  I'm sure there would be people  bitching about one thing or another same as LOTRO.. They would just be bitching about different things. Yeah, I'm sure they would. But at least they would have gotten an interesting game that centers around exploring the most iconic location in the fantasy genre, instead of an instanced dungeon crawler that plays the same as WoW. 

I'd rather have them try and fail than not try at all.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    None, they were all cancelled for good reason. SWG is the only candidate but Sony ruined that game shortly after launch so why play that monstrosity in 2014?
    Ironically the problem is too many games are not getting cancelled/shut down; such as, Vangaurd being put on autopilot for years while hopeful players pray for a meaningful update and are disappointed month after month. Their money could be better spent on a game worthy of their $$.
  • mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Shadowbane.

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

none.

Middle Earth Online "sounds" intriguing but in all honesty I have yet to see one released mmo that didn't have its detractors.

And that wasn't even released!  I'm sure there would be people  bitching about one thing or another same as LOTRO.. They would just be bitching about different things. Yeah, I'm sure they would. But at least they would have gotten an interesting game that centers around exploring the most iconic location in the fantasy genre, instead of an instanced dungeon crawler that plays the same as WoW. 

While MEO was much more interesting in concept than LotRO turned out to be, LotRO still did a very good job capturing the Middle Earth feeling, and it's a solid, honest themepark.  It has more character than most games do today.  I'd like to see someone do a much better job, but not if it's just going to be another themepark.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    None, they were all cancelled for good reason. SWG is the only candidate but Sony ruined that game shortly after launch so why play that monstrosity in 2014?

As much as I hated the NGE like everyone else, it's still a more interesting game than most on the market today.  Toward the end, the devs started bringing some of the pre-NGE features back and making the game interesting again.  To be honest, if they released a nice cleaned up NGE today, I'd sign up immediately.  I'd prefer a cleaned up version of pre-NGE, but I'd take anything SWG.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Fantasy Earth Zero if it was kind of done differently. But I appreciated that if you had say, the situational awareness of a stump, you'd get reamed.
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

As much as I hated the NGE like everyone else, it's still a more interesting game than most on the market today.  Toward the end, the devs started bringing some of the pre-NGE features back and making the game interesting again.  To be honest, if they released a nice cleaned up NGE today, I'd sign up immediately.  I'd prefer a cleaned up version of pre-NGE, but I'd take anything SWG.

Would be nice but come on.............we're talking about SoE here. The only game of theirs I even found playable in the past decade was Planetside 2.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I'd probably try SWG again if it hadn't been cancelled.

Didn't really play any other notable ones, but I was interested in trying out these:

Tabula Rasa

Earth & Beyond

Chronicles of Spellborn

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77

1. City of h/v

2. MxO

3. SWG

4. Huxley(not sure if it counts or not)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

none.

While MEO was much more interesting in concept than LotRO turned out to be, LotRO still did a very good job capturing the Middle Earth feeling only in artifice. Most of the NPCs are mute with no story to them. The world is heavily gated, with invisible walls and instances locking you out of areas, and lore breaking bits all around. But the art is fantastic. , and it's a solid, honest themepark. Er, it's a solid dishonest WoW clone. It was advertised as a sandbox for about 4 years before it went in for a cash grab on the WoW casual market. That stinks of sleezey business, not honest "this is what we want to make!" decisions.  It has more character than most games do today. Sure, but that's from the art and the setting, and the gameplay goes out of its way to ruin that character.   I'd like to see someone do a much better job, but not if it's just going to be another themepark.

Agreed.

Would be nice but come on.............we're talking about SoE here. The only game of theirs I even found playable in the past decade was Planetside 2.

The thing about SWG that few people understand, unless they lived in the game like some of us did, was that the bugs and quirks of the game were easily ignored because the game was so fun.  Well, to be honest, it was what the community made of the game that made it so fun.  SWG gave us a setting, great lore, and tools to build our own experience, and we ran with it.  

I've written more pages about SWG on the internet than I care to think about, but if I was going to simplify what made it special, it was what I just wrote above.  Too many games today try to guide your experience from beginning to end, rather than letting you create your own story.

• MeechaMeecha Member Posts: 30

I would love for SWG to be available, it was my fallback MMO for years, i would always become bored with the newer MMOs and end up returning to SWG cause it had features that no one could even compare to.

Tabula Rasa looked like a great game that i never gave a chance ( I was too busy to game for a few years)

Shadowbane is my last pick, i still hear friends tell stories of this one, and I wish I had played