Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Van Helsing: Staying True to Action-RPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing may not be an MMO, but as an independently made ARPG, it's something we think you all ought to take notice of. Reaching cult-hit status via Steam success, a sequel has recently been announced. We interviewed NeoCore games about the first game and its forthcoming sequel. Read on!

MMORPG.com: For lore and story, there is a lot you can do with Van Helsing, what were some of your favorite parts to add into the game?

Zoltán Pozsonyi: The basic idea was a twist on the lore in itself, and it soon became the guideline during the entire development of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. It all started with one question: what would happen if Van Helsing, the well-known monster hunter found himself on the monster's side? What could be so terrifying that makes even the old-fashioned monsters tremble? It was fun to play with the traditions of monster-hunting and the character of Van Helsing. Secondly, this Van Helsing is only loosely based on the well-known character from Bram Stoker's Dracula and the setting is an alternative version of 19th century Europe, which leads us to another favorite part of the process: the creation of this alternative reality and our own Van Helsing.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Van Helsing: Van Helsing: Staying True to Action-RPG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

In before " OMG, Its not an MMORPG, why is this here!???1!!???11"

Been wanting to try this one for a while. Original press on it after release turned me away, but maybe I'll look at it again.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• geremadygeremady Member UncommonPosts: 73

It is well worth it for the money it costs( got the whole pack from Steam for 6 euro)

Just finished the main story yesterday at around 20 hours. Killed about 12000 monsters according to the game.Lol.

Contemplating doing it with another character.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129

Their is no such thing as an "action rpg."

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

Their is no such thing as an "action rpg."

Oh yes they're is.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Been wanting to try this one for a while. Original press on it after release turned me away, but maybe I'll look at it again.

Well, it's a damn good question.

Once upon a time....

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Van Helsing is a fun game, just don't expect to much from it and it will surprise you. I had to check the score again after reading your comment about how the press turned out after the release but IGN and Gamespot both gave it a 7 and a 7.5. Normally these two sites tend to burn down lower budget games like this one so not a terrible score at all. Personally i would say the game is a solid 7. It is a good game, not perfect or great, but it is a good game.

The wintersale starts soon on steam so if you are doubting then wait till its cheaper during the sale and try the demo :)

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Neocore treats their fans like crap (just ask King Arthur 2 purchasers). They release games with game-breaking bugs in them which have been present since closed beta. And they're perfectly willing to screw over loyal existing fans in order to obtain new ones, all while spouting off complete lies about the situation.

I don't give my money to companies like that, sorry. They have absolutely no integrity whatsoever.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Neocore treats their fans like crap (just ask King Arthur 2 purchasers). They release games with game-breaking bugs in them which have been present since closed beta. And they're perfectly willing to screw over loyal existing fans in order to obtain new ones, all while spouting off complete lies about the situation.

I don't give my money to companies like that, sorry. They have absolutely no integrity whatsoever.

I have both King Arthur games, what was wrong with King Arthur 2? I bought it later so i might have missed the whole game breaking bugs. But how do they screw over their fans? Give us some examples otherwise everyone can shout such things. But right now i don't really understand what they done. Like what game breaking bugs, what did they do to push away existing fans to get new ones?

• SassiesSassies Member Posts: 24

They don't give a damn about their customers. On Steam we are still waiting for the promised DLC sale.

The whole debacle is about screwing early customers over new customers. (this happened twice in a short time!)

Also the fact that they blamed Steam for it, is a no go for any future buy from this company.

Here is the link:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/215530/discussions/0/666827315341701340/

Originally posted by Sassies

They don't give a damn about their customers. On Steam we are still waiting for the promised DLC sale.

The whole debacle is about screwing early customers over new customers. (this happened twice in a short time!)

Also the fact that they blamed Steam for it, is a no go for any future buy from this company.

Here is the link:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/215530/discussions/0/666827315341701340/

Not trying to defend the devs here. But isn't this a general thing with games? Skyrim had the same. During the autum sale you could buy the legendary edition for 13 euro's. It contained Skyrim and the released DLC. But i already owned Skyrim and was thinking if the whole package is so cheap it shouldn't cost much to get the dlc. To my surprise each DLC was 9 euro each. So i would have to pay 27 euro's total if i wanted the dlc separately. Or pay 13 euro's for the entire pack. I bought the entire pack just for the DLC. Isn't that the case with Van Helsing either? I seen it happen with other games too that the DLC isn't really that much discounted compared to entire packs. The only game i saw doing that during the sales is Train Simulator who offers their DLC with huge discounts (and still manage to be quiet expensive when there is a 60% discount on it). So I'm not entirely sure if its a dickmove from the developers or if its something from Steams side.

What i do blame publishers/devs for is when they start to lower the price of a game within two months. I mean then you do screw over your first hour buyers who supported you and you should just give something in return to compensate.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I'd check out Tom Chick's review at quarter to three before buying this.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by sketocafe

I'd check out Tom Chick's review at quarter to three before buying this.

Tom Chick is a moron and of the worst "game journalists" out there.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.