Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Controller Support a 'Passion Project' at Carbine

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While not fully committing to the idea that WildStar players will be able to use a controller to play the game, Carbine did reveal to Strategy Informer that it is a "passion project" at the company and is indeed in development.

Carbine has revealed that controller support for Wildstar is in development, but it remains a “passion project” within the studio, and not something the company wants to officially commit to.

Speaking to Strategy Informer, Creative Director Matt Mocarski mentioned, “Very early one in development, we actually hooked up an Xbox Controller to our PC’s and started playing with that. It actually felt really cool.”

Read more at the link above. Our thanks to Strategy Informer for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Was trying to come up with a good comment and all I really have is that I prefer playing with a controller versus keyboard and mouse. It seems far more intuitive, even if it isn't nearly as accurate.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Guess it is what you are familiar with.  I dislike the controller, I like the keyboard mouse better.  If you are pvping, it does make a difference.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I love controller, but I hate them at the same time. Last night I was playing BF4 on my xb1, I was near a rock cliff and trying to jump to an area that was unreachable by myself, so was another player beside me, we couldn't chat very easily. I ended up laying on the ground he was able to jump off of me and reach the location but it took us alot longer than if I would have had a keyboard and just whispered to him, " hey when I lay on the ground you jump off of me and lets see if we can reach this elelevated location" At this point in time the lack of social support consoles have all in the name of controller support is what will continue to hold console play back. You can talk on headsets yes, but even headsets do not replace the ease of a chatwindow and keyboard communication. Plus people are far less likely to communicate if they have to speak via headset rather than typing. Typing lets you direct your message to everyone, a specific group, or just one person, voice chat does not give you that option so easily, voice chat also usually has alot of background noise, sometimes it's very choppy when people use low quality headsets, and voice over is more invasive. Keyboards do more than just put you on target faster, they open up lines of communication better than anything.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i just dont get how people can deal with not being able to turn the camera, move, and cast at the same time like you can with a keyboard/mouse.

when you pull back on the controller, does it turn you around or make you backup? or do you have to turn the camera then move forward to turn around?

i tried playing Tera with a controller and it just seemed completely ineffective.

ive always though that if I could just get a tiny joystick on my keyboard somewhere, probably near the space bar .. that, that would solve everything.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    i love controller support.  I just hope it is not keyboard/mouse OR controller but, keyboard/mouse AND controller.  Fast paced combat with a relatively small action set is suited very well to a controller set up, however an MMORPG isn't only combat and there are other parts of the game like chat that are more suited to a keyboard.  I don't plan on playing on my sofa so I will have a keyboard and mouse right in front of me anyway, it would be nice to be able to just use whichever I felt like/most efficient at the time.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    If they pull it off in a playable form, I'll reconsider my stance on subscription games...
  • calamasabycalamasaby Member Posts: 1
    Very cool and will probably work pretty well with the Limited Action Set. If DCUO can do it so can Wildstar.