Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Adventure Time

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's WoW Factor, we take a look at all the WoW news of the past week including a film update and a first look at the new quest helper. Read on before heading to the comments.

One of the long term design goals for WoW has been to have players spend more time in the game when they're playing. It's common practice for us to tab out several times to access resources outside of the game to help us with our quests, tips on defeating bosses and what to do next. For example, the recently added dungeon journal offers dungeon and raid maps, boss information and the ability to sort through loot tables. While add-ons have offered similar features, I'm of the belief that the fewer add-ons that I need to use, the better. This week on the WoW factor we're checking out the upcoming Adventure Guide that will ship with the Warlords of Draenor expansion. But first, some news.

Read more of Reza Lackey's The WoW Factor: Adventure Time.

Adventure Guide for PvE focused players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i just want the new models..
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
     'new models' INDEED!
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by syltmacka

Will not last long. Again another wasted month. It will not make the game any different. The entire system stays the same.

Potatoe turns into chips. We add different flavors to the chips. But the potatoe is a potatoe and underneath chips are chips.

Potatoe = World of Warcraft itself, Chips and flavor = story, character, "development".

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Is this just an in game version of the zygor guide? 
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Will not last long. Again another wasted month. It will not make the game any different. The entire system stays the same.

Potatoe turns into chips. We add different flavors to the chips. But the potatoe is a potatoe and underneath chips are chips.

Potatoe = World of Warcraft itself, Chips and flavor = story, character, "development".

And why would they change what is already succeeding which to date they are still the most successful MMO that is the envy of all MMO companies?

People went to GW2 wanting something different and were left wanting the old system, and I don't see this changing even with ESO and WS.  Sure more subs will be leeched away but WoW will likely still be dominating the market.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Looks pretty cool, Hopefully the adventure guides can get updated in real time eventually and missions can get posted to the war boards in real time boosting wpvp. Get people moving about and creating firestorms all throughout the land. They can be player made missions as well.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

You're right about the lack of lasting change, but I find myself forced to point out that Potato only takes an e in the plural with s at the end. Also, with the new models, is it just a model update for each race/gender or could one finally have a skinny character  with classes where it seems right instead of  being forced into a roided out rips-cars-in-half caster?

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I just want a chip ok?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Quest helper? Seriously? Someone asked for or needs that?
  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    lies. There is no adventure in Warcraft.. just dailies and queues. Lies and PR bullshit.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Why do they do that. The fun part is to discover what you can do by listening to people and finding out yourself.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I went back three weeks ago with a one week free trial offer to try out MOP. The first thing I noticed and it was extreme is nobody talks in chat anymore. I was on for over 3 hours and not one word was said in Ironforge, Stormwind, Redridge, Duskwood, and back to Stormwind. In each of these places I saw people running around I guess do to the cross server merge they put in and yet no talking. 

I then headed out to start my MOP experience with my 85 Mage with quest gear from Cata when I last played. I soon realized I could sit there and let mobs beat on me as I picked them off one by one while taking very little damage. I soon got bored of this for there was zero challenge and without challenge it's pointless.  I did my fly around for the memories and have not logged in since. The game I fell in love with at launch and it's first expansion BC is gone. It's a shell of what it was and IMO the game is not worthy of my time even if it was free to play. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Made me chuckle ^^ :). There's a lot of potential improvements in the next expansion that 'could' address many of the issues that have dragged the game down In the last couple years, unfortunately there are people that are so busy ranting and dribbling that they are incapable of looking ahead 'omg I left wow and i get it do it must die' says the man with the red face!

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I personally can't wait for mythic raiding, persistent pvp zone, and all these other changes.  Oh and the new orc model....(excited nerd face).  WoW will always have its haters though...nothing new here people.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Problem with the "new" models is that they aren't exactly new.

They'll look just as outdated as the old models looked in 2004. While by Blizzard's standards this may be "new", everyone with eyes to see may notice that they still look like crap.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Volgore

They'll look just as outdated as the old models looked in 2004. While by Blizzard's standards this may be "new", everyone with eyes to see may notice that they still look like crap.

Well, they can't update the models too much, or they will clash in art style with a very dated world. It is an old game, but I still have fun with it, and will continue to do so until something better comes along...hopefully soon.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The amount of hatred and cynicism for WoW never ceases to amaze, confuse, and entertain. I can't wait for WoD. 
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    The amount of hatred and cynicism for WoW never ceases to amaze, confuse, and entertain. I can't wait for WoD. 

Often people confuse disagreement with hate.  Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they hate something.  I personally would love to have a reason to come back to WoW and have fun again, unfortunately WoD just doesn't sound very exciting at this point.  Maybe they will announce something yet, it is still early.  But after 2 expacks about the Horde an expack focusing on the history of the horde doesn't sound very appealing from a story perspective.  The only truly new feature is an extremely limited Garrison feature that sounds like it is just another grind/time sink, only it doesn't appear to be optional.  End game once again seems to be focused on queing for instances, *yawn*.   The game needs some fresh new ideas.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

So they are giving you an in game guide to how to complete quests and dungeons? Are they going to have an auto pilot option next? Just fill out a quick survey on what gear you want and press enter and watch your toon run everything to get the desired gear.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    It seems that folks lost their imaginations and adventure and exchanged it for the race to the end. Games are getting easier and easier, soon you will just need to login and watch tv and you will level. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Quest helper? Seriously? Someone asked for or needs that?

I could understand that in Vanilla, but now?... LoLrus

Blizzard has plastered where you can find NPC's just about everywhere on your map. It's more a pointless grind, without much need to explore now.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Volgore

The old models fit the art style perfectly until about WotLK, when the continued improvements to the graphics engine & landscapes began to make them contrast quite sharply with their surroundings, as well as the more detailed models for the Goblins & Worgen upon their debut. The new models fix this problem, and bring the look of the characters & NPCs more in line with the visual upgrades to the rest of the game.

They didn't look like crap in 2004, and the new ones certainly don't look like crap now. Not every game can be on the bleeding edge of graphics tech so you can justify overpaying for your kick-ass gaming rig & gloat about how you can run at 3043423 FPS with photorealistic graphics which will look dated in a couple years anyway.

Just compare WoW vs. EQ2. EQ2 looks like ass, WoW still has a near timeless look and charm to it. Everyone with a mind to comprehend what their eyes can see will notice that the game still retains a soul all its own, and people don't need a cutting edge overpriced PC to enjoy it.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I really don't think the problem was that people didn't know what to do, so much as at max level the number of things you can do that at offer a reasonable amount of character progression are extremely limited.  So I think that people don't know what to do that they will enjoy and offer a reasonable amount of character progression.  Often the limited choices available aren't much fun, or quickly become too repetitive to enjoy.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683

Hmm... spend an hour mumbling angrily at Google as you try to look up where to go next since you seem to have hit a dead zone, or have the game tell you in seconds. That stupid hand holding! How dare they save me an hour of time searching through forums full of rants! Hand holders!!

This hand holding has gotten out of control. It used to be you had to walk 10 miles to get somewhere. Then some hand holder came and presented the horse. Darn hand holding loving hand holders!

Then somebody came out with a horseless carriage. Did somebody seriously ask for that? What newbs. Hand holding loving noobcakes. That's what they are.

Wait, now you can carry around a small device that lets you talk, text, watch movies, look up information whenever you want, and it's WIRELESS?!? OMG this hand holding has to stop!! I demand we start using smoke signals and carrying around a 50 volume encyclopedia wherever we go!! HAND HOLDERS!!!

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

I really don't see what all this fuss is about... I will probably not be using that feature, but it's nice to have it if you ever get stuck not knowing what to do next. Also, this is in NO WAY similar to quest helper lol... It tells you what activities you should be doing at your level...It doesn't help you quest, wtf people ?

People really like to whine about anything ...