Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: End-of-Year Retrospective Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Piranha Games has published its look back at MechWarrior Online's 2013 along with a bit of forward-looking news for 2014. The team is hard at work on UI 2.0, Community Warfare, a new game play mode called "skirmish" and much more. In addition, Community Warfare packs have gone on sale that include boosts and more.

Community Warfare:

The first set of features for Community Warfare have been broken down and reviewed by engineering. The systems engineers have a roadmap and schedule in which they will start addressing the needs of all new systems required by Community Warfare and are working on the core layout for faction/unit gameplay. What this sums up is… engineering has done all project management breakdowns and specs for the upcoming feature and code clean-up and preparation is being worked on in a special new branch build (much like PTS). Some of the core new features, like database sharding for improved load handling, have been completed and are in that branch now.

We will update as each feature of Community Warfare enters development so you will know what order to expect things to start appearing. Right now all development is heavily, under the hood.

Another feature that will be updated is the Match Maker. A full analysis has been performed on the current system and fixes/updates are now planned. This is not a trivial update and may be included with the release of Phase 1 Community Warfare. Tonnage limits, grouping, Elo calculations are all reliant on these changes and we will fill you in with more detail, as these tasks move into production.

Read the full letter on the MechWarrior Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Now you can buy a GOLD limted issue mech for guess how much.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

The 500$ Gold Mechs are beyond a joke. Especially considering that just now the Community Warfare is finally being 'looked over by Engineers'. Seriously PGI? This was dangled in front of your Founders while the game was just entering closed beta, and only now, 16 months later is it finally be looked at?

CW should have been done a long time ago.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yeah the item shop in this game is getting majorly ridiculous.  The only thing they are adding are highly expensive items in the item shop.

I just stopped playing, the only thing the developers are interested in is their pocketbooks.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Anyone notice how in half-scam F2P games the only thing that gets frequent updates is the cash shop?

More "long on promises and short on results" from a shady company that pooped on a well loved IP.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

The game is fun in short bursts. The problem is the dev team...all talk no action. They only thing they seem to spend any time developing is custom mechs that they can charge real money for, while at the same time continuing to promise what they have promised for a year. UI 2.0? Community Warfare? Nope sorry but here is more stuff you can give us real money for. We promise we'll get you those things we've promised but wait here are more real money mechs isn't it great?!?.

I gave them money initially because I was impressed, and this is coming from a newbie to the mechwarrior series not a longtime fanboi of the series. However I regret it. I usually give FTP games that I deem are quality and worth it money, even if I don't want anything specifically. I just do it to support them. Yet these guys are so full of crap when it comes to their "future". They promise but do absolutely nothing. You look at games like Path Of Exile that produced patches weekly with new skills and items all for free. You look at a game like War Thunder that is damn near perfect and free but also is about to introduce ground combat for free. You see these other FTP games that work on actual GAME content and not just cash shop content, and it makes me regret ever supporting Mechwarrior all the more.

Decent game currently, but horrible horrible dev team and communication.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Yeah the item shop in this game is getting majorly ridiculous.  The only thing they are adding are highly expensive items in the item shop.

I just stopped playing, the only thing the developers are interested in is their pocketbooks.

That's the way it is too. I really like Mechwarrior, but the greed of MWO is over the top. Instead of implementing the items promised, they update the damn shop first and put out new Hero mechs so they can get their cash. This is actually a game I wish that would go subscription, just so I would only be forced to pay 15$ a month, instead of this crap they have now.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Very glad I got my founder's pack refunded. This game had great potential, but Piranha screwed it up big time with slow updates, horrid feedback, unprofessional staff, and let's not forget pay-to-win (which they promised repeatedly they wouldn't have).

To their credit, I will say they refunded me without much hassle, so kudos for that.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Major problem is the self entitled and venemous forum whores expecting a game to provide everything without new funds coming in continuously.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Kossuth
    Major problem is the self entitled and venemous forum whores expecting a game to provide everything without new funds coming in continuously.

In fact it's just the opposite.  

Those of us that have been investing since the kick starter have dumped hundreds of dollars of cash into this game.  Instead of working on features that they've promised since day one, ALL we're getting is a never ending torrent of cash store mechs.

If you ever visited the official forums you'd notice very quickly that the vast majority of posters have one or both founders titles.  We've been dumping coins into the till since before there was a game, and now we want them to stop putzing around with the cash shop and build the damn game we paid for.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Got these letters for free and they're GOLD.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Those of us that have been investing since the kick starter

It was not a kickstarter... *long rant about peoples inability to differ between brand and service*

Any way... Yes this game have been plagued with delays in way that make a Valve or Blizzard title look speedy and on time.

But it is still a good game at it´s core. So if you like to shoot things in a big stompy robot that actually feel like a big stompy robot. This is the game for you.

If you are a die-hard conservative BattleTech-fan. Yhis is not the game for you. If you are a Beta veteran i suggest you do like me. Do a drop every now and then for fun and outside of that.. Just relax.

Also... I´d like to point out that hourglass does not in any way shape or form speak for the entire founders community. Most people have a way more relaxed attitude and understand that it is way faster to model a mech then it is to rewrite a custom U.I.

This have been a good conversation

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Those of us that have been investing since the kick starter have dumped hundreds of dollars of cash into this game.  Instead of working on features that they've promised since day one, ALL we're getting is a never ending torrent of cash store mechs.

If you ever visited the official forums you'd notice very quickly that the vast majority of posters have one or both founders titles.  We've been dumping coins into the till since before there was a game, and now we want them to stop putzing around with the cash shop and build the damn game we paid for.

Excellent reply, the only updates I have seen lately are new item shop Mechs.  If it is not obvious to you that  they are soaking their established player base,  then you one of those suckers P.T. Barnum used to talk about.

I purchased the Elite Founder's Package and the Overlord Package. Both of those purchases were based on the promise of Community Warfare being released in a timely manner. During closed beta they showed .....

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/12/44-dev-blog-1-community-warfare

Posted Dec 11th, 2011

Then at the launch party they stated that Community warfare would be slowly released over the next 6months. That was in September 2013.

The post from Russ, the pres of the company stated that they just started working on Community Warfare and it will be another 9 months until it is even close to release.

Stay away from MWO, seriously. Do not fall into the trap I did, I believed them and will no longer. I spent over 200$ total on this game expecting their promised timelines to be met, only to be given new timelines repeatedly. I'm tired of roadmaps, I want the content that was promised 2 years ago.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Anyone notice how in half-scam F2P games the only thing that gets frequent updates is the cash shop?More "long on promises and short on results" from a shady company that pooped on a well loved IP.

I could not have said it better, myself; I agree strongly with all four points.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit