Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Explaining It All

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

my only concern is the ye olde rule of terraforming "if terraforming = true then penis obelisks > 10000"

other than than, LET ME IN

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116

Again... Landmark... AND NOT EQNEXT.

Who cares about eqcraft. we want adventure, fellowships, raids, exploration with purpose, and competition in  a highfantasy world. Give us info about EQnext, cause landmark is truly an empty bone to keep us occupied and has nothing to do with a MMORPG. 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by DMKano

The floating bags when digging..... seriously what were they thinking?

Also screen tearing in game, engine needs more work. They have a few months to fix it thankfully.

If you watch the video closer you would of seen they said the bags are place holders, They appear more like the acualy resource ur getting later down the road so a block of stoen may look like a chunch of stone. And yeah its is pre Alpha stage/build atm so you should be expecting some bug now and then.

They still have a few months till alpha testing then another month till beta and unknown amount of time till release.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Personally I find that the developing of two games at the same time to be in line for one of the dumbest things I have seen a development team do.  Of course it is SOE, so what do you expect.  Then again, they have been better lately.

I will reserve judgement until I can play it, but the cartoony aspects don't really appeal to me atm.

You know its acualy quite a smart thing to do, They giving players all the tool they using to make EQN and there also gonna be using landmark to help player create stuff they can use in EQN which outsouces some of the workload to the players heance making the developtment process of EQN go faster aswell as including players in its development in a way that has never been done before,

Originally posted by WereLlama

I saw the battlemech in the landmark video.

What is the context management (only fantasy) for the game or will this be competition for second life ?

Thanks!

-WL

Landmark u can do anything on, however there will be islands or server or what ever that is only fantasy setting stuff as far as i know.

Originally posted by Fearum
    So they are pretty much creating a Mod for their own game and selling one at a time which people are spending lots of money on, brilliant! Talk about a double dip, this puts a new meaning on that.

Xcept there both free to play games, you can support the game by buying a founder pack and garantee ur spot in beta + a few other things, or u can not pay a cent and sign up for beta possibly get in or play for free when the game comes out.

Originally posted by itchmon

my only concern is the ye olde rule of terraforming "if terraforming = true then penis obelisks > 10000"

Theyll be monitoring inapropriate structure such as this, player can also report inapropriat building/structures and SOE will have people ingame looking for em and if their found they be removed.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Those bags are placeholder. I do hope they are further along with EQN than they appear. I see the wisdom in having public dev tools, and its clear a lot of games will be going this way, possibly all mmos, as it solves the content problem. EQN could well avoid the fate that Wildstar and TESO could be facing.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by itchmon

Theyll be monitoring inapropriate structure such as this, player can also report inapropriat building/structures and SOE will have people ingame looking for em and if their found they be removed.

i like that in more than one way (thanks for the info)

a) they will be removing immersion breakers (good thing)

b) someone at SOE will therefore be the OFFICIAL penis obelisk remover!  I hope his or her forum sig is something like "taking down dicks since 2014"

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Personally I find that the developing of two games at the same time to be in line for one of the dumbest things I have seen a development team do.  Of course it is SOE, so what do you expect.  Then again, they have been better lately.

I will reserve judgement until I can play it, but the cartoony aspects don't really appeal to me atm.

I don't think you understand what reserve judgment means

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Orrinn
    Originally posted by DMKano

The floating bags when digging..... seriously what were they thinking?

Also screen tearing in game, engine needs more work. They have a few months to fix it thankfully.

Terry Michaels made mention in the video that the bags are only a place holder graphic, and what we'll actually see in the finished product will look like the harvested resources.

I'm also assuming the screen tearing is due to the recording equipment, not necessarily the game itself. Even if it is, though, as you mentioned they have time to fine tune it, especially considering it's not even in alpha yet.

At this point, I think I'm more excited for Next than I am for Landmark, but I still think Landmark is a really great idea and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

In the case of recording, yeah it probably is that.

Generallyl speaking, though (for those who don't already know this... 'cause not everyone does :p) Screen tearing can happen in any game, it's when the refresh rate of the game is out of sync with the monitor or rendering device. If the monitor updates before the game is finished rendering a frame, you get the tearing effect... which is part of a new frame drawn over the previous one.  V-Sync exists specifically to address that, and most all games have the option.

• Bogoa2000Bogoa2000 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I think many here are getting bit head of themselves with expectations. Humans always begin thinking in terms how they need something too be* for themselves interacting. Relax enjoy life lets see more content before we begin with negativity. Millions of dollars go into development; it takes time. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think keeping the tools simple allows everyone to easily use them,but it will have some limitations in design builds.I have not watched a lot on creation but i did notice that instead of circular they were making everything with squares and using circle cutouts to form archways.I also noticed the same tree over and over,this might not change except when in a different area,as having several different models will lag a game.

I am not surprised at all to find out they will be selling cash shop anything you need to actually fully enjoy Landmark.So much for that Founders pack that is worth 1-2 years of gaming,they still want you to pay more.

I see good things and weak ideas from this whole EQNext game but the bottom line is,i will not support cash shop.Cash shop is always going to be a guessing game,you never know how much you will have top spend down the road and once invested you are sort of lured into spending more .

I game to have some fun,i do not want to ever have to constantly think about how much budget i am on to play a game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

IMO SOE can't really be trusted, have never given anybody a reason to trust them, their whole free to play, here's your payment tiers thing is shifty, and much of EQN is hot air, talk, dreams - we'll see, some day, what it actually turns out to be.  I would love to see them deliver on all their talk.

" is it open world pvp or do you have to flag yourself?  plus many other questions..."

I vote for zero PvP.  :P

It would be a refreshing change to see a focus on PvE without the distraction of the PvP mini/side/grief game.  Plenty of games have PvP....why not something different for a change?  MMORPGs are PVE at the core.  If PvPers elect not to play...no biggie, just a stronger PvE community.  Why not?

Do you really think people want to build elaborate structures in something like landmark, or whatever appears inside EQN itself, just to have griefers tear it up?  I would hope for something a wee bit less juvenile.

If you go back to original EQ, PvP wasn't really much of a consideration.  They had PvP servers but PvP was never a focus, they didn't balance for PvP, they pretty much just said, have some PvP servers and nobody cares.  Because...EQ is really a PvE thing.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

its not 2 separate games you are basically paying to help them build and test EVERQUEST NEXT.

SUCKERS

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

This has to be the dumbest naming problem in gaming history. I searched for an hour last week and couldn't figure out the difference. 3 videos later I still look at landmark as a devkit. The release order is equally off. First release EQ next, then do landmark as a seperate addon, not the other way around.

This is such a marketing fail. 

You release 2 similar products in 1 year with completely different goals, with with the exact same name (missing a suffix), then proceed to launch multiple videos trying to explain to your audience what is what.

Even this article is name EQ Next when it talks about Landmark.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by syriinx

I don't think you understand what reserve judgment means

You really can't make your mind up about a game until you play it.

• mikeyb138mikeyb138 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    So i guess im confused.. i was always under the impression that landmark more of a crafting program that did tie into eqnext.. like use landmark to see what you can do in next or use landmark to build then put in next. Someone want to clarify for me? Are these 2 absolutely seperate? If so, is eqN just gonna be a themepark?
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

From what I can tell, Landmark is a gamification of the EQ Next developer tools.  Players can just sorta build whatever they want, kinda like minecraft but much more sophisticated.

They can also rate each others creations, and the highest rated creations will be seen by the EQ Next developers, who will import the creations into EQ Next.

Compare this to Pirates of the Burning Sea.  PoBS was never a huge budget game, but it has a TON of GORGEOUS ships in it.  Only a small handful of the ships were made by the developers, most of the ships were created by players using traditional 3D sculpting tools.  A board of top players chosen by the developers would engage players helping them understand requirements of their creations, and when the board has deemed a new ship worthy, it is submitted to the developers to be added to the game.

By utilizing the community as a resource, MMORPGs can become huge gorgeous worlds without a lot of $$ wasted on world development.

Consider Skyrim and other elder scrolls games for a moment.  These games have so many countless mods, most players, including myself, could not imagine playing them without the community mods.  It has become an integral part of the game, and skyrim could never be as gorgeous or deep as it is with mods if it was made by paid developers because the costs would be too great.

Utilizing players as content creators for their upcoming game is bold, risky move by SOE.  They hope to undercut MMORPGs that have larger world development teams and have been out longer, such as WoW, by which through traditional means no AAA developer could compete with because of the sheer size of the WoW world development team and the length of its existence.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I gather that EQ Landmark is geared towards a more sandbox style where gathering, crafting tools, and building structures is the goal.

As they stated  players are using the same tools as the developers are using to build out EQ Next. Players have the option to submit the structures they craft to Player Studio for other users to purchase and use to include in their larger works.

What I'm not clear on is how directly EQ Landmark affects EQN.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Did you see his expression when they asked about death?  It is so obvious there is no death in landmark right now -at all- and they have no idea how it will work.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

This must be the first time a game developer has worked on two games at the same time. It is crazy isn't it? Working on two games at once! The INSANITY. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by mikeyb138
    So i guess im confused.. i was always under the impression that landmark more of a crafting program that did tie into eqnext.. like use landmark to see what you can do in next or use landmark to build then put in next. Someone want to clarify for me? Are these 2 absolutely seperate? If so, is eqN just gonna be a themepark?

Afaik, basically landmark is a game that will lay the groundwork for EQ:Next. Essentially, Landmark is basically their way of releasing a developer kit (aka MOD pack) for EQ:N before release. Players then use this to create whatever they want, and Sony then takes the best of that and uses that as content for EQ:N.

So while technically they are 2 separate games, in many ways they are the same game hosted on 2 different servers, being released at different times.

The main reason this will probably work is because they are more or less the same game. Except with Landmark you are actually helping create content for Sony to add into EQ:N.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Graphics are bad, so they need to really nail the gameplay and the building aspects.  I really really hope they do.  But the one thing that has the potential to ruin the whole thing is how they monetize it.  If getting building materials is made to be super grindy so they can sell you materials for cash, it will kill any chance this game has IMHO.
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Who wants to play an editor? SOE does not understand what a sandbox game is. It is not editing, it is living in a virtual world.
    Why is just CCP understanding that?...