Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: The Stalker - The Silent Assassin

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As part of our continuing coverage of WildStar, we take a look at the Stalker class, the assassin in the group. See what we found out and then head to the comments.

Being a Brit, I have a penchant for all things Dominion. This time round I decided to check out the other side, rolling a green-furred Aurin. I just hoped he’d be packing something a little sharper than carrots, or this was going to be one long journey through the levels. As it was, the choice quickly felt comfortable, largely due to those fluid animations that Carbine explained were the reason behind having a single weapon per class. Whatever you might think about ol’ Longears, he behaves as though he was born with razor blades on his fists.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: The Stalker - The Silent Assassin.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Training_DummyTraining_Dummy Member Posts: 12
    Good to see an MMO reaching for 2003 style graphics.
  • causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    In my opinion, the art style is amazing. They use however, older graphical mechanics (looking at the screenshots). The thing is (if you like these graphics), it will still look this great 10 years from now. Games like Aion, LotRO or EverQuest really look dated after a couple of years.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by causs
    In my opinion, the art style is amazing. They use however, older graphical mechanics (looking at the screenshots). The thing is (if you like these graphics), it will still look this great 10 years from now. Games like Aion, LotRO or EverQuest really look dated after a couple of years.

WoW already looked dated 3 years ago, and LotRO has amazing graphics, I always wonder if I see the screenshots of it, when people post them on this homepage

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    Cool

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Everquest looks amazing for a 15 year old game if you turn all the new stuff on they have added over the years.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

So disappointed the game doesn't look like AC4 meets Star Citizen. Actually, give me Frostbite 3 engine MMORPG.

On a serious note, to me, game looks like Sci-fi WoW meets LoL. Not bad at all.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

from what I have seen so far I will get bored with wild star with in a month so no subscription for me.

ESO will be exploring and will keep me busy for sure.

only hope for wild star if people with limited taste like the WOW players get on board.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Game looks so cheap without any shadows....

• xcerebrusxcerebrus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Demogorgon

Says the legion of clueless still stuck with this absurd notion coming from the 90's.

Whatever float your boat dude.   

Relax man its not that bad lol.

• OverkillOverkill Member UncommonPosts: 29

The screenshots dont really do it justice.

The animations add so much to the look of the game they  are easily as important to the look of a game while playing.  The graphics in ESO look amazing for an MMO, the animations however bore me to tears so much that my impression of the game is less interesting to look at.

But to each their own.

• nk362ynk362y Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by Raquis

from what I have seen so far I will get bored with wild star with in a month so no subscription for me.

ESO will be exploring and will keep me busy for sure.

only hope for wild star if people with limited taste like the WOW players get on board.

Heres my biggest problem with ESO is the fact of not being able to explore the ENTIRE world before max level really kills it for me being locked in 1/3 of the map just so they had something for the PVErs to do at max level seems really silly to me. (unless they have changed it.) for me with the housing, the dungeons/raids that will change week to week, the path system, AMPS, and the plethora of other features in Wildstar makes me very happy the art style and the comedy make this the game for me and i cant wait to play on launch :)  

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

Lol, once again all the haters wanna chime in, as if anyone was listening to them.

Newsflash, DON'T PLAY!  just means less morons for the people who like the game to deal with.

T

• neutrinoideneutrinoide Member UncommonPosts: 45
    If you want realistic look . You are a boring piece of unsophisticated mud. Go outside and take pictures. See how fun to watch realistic pictures and how "immersive`" it is.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Vapors

WoW already looked dated 3 years ago, and LotRO has amazing graphics, I always wonder if I see the screenshots of it, when people post them on this homepage

LotRO environments look nice, characters on the other hand look bad.  WoW looks decent, it certainly doesn't look cutting edge, but because it was never trying to look real it ends up just looking like an art style as opposed to looking old.  I think we will reach a point where graphics are real enough that they can avoid looking old after a couple of years, but were not really there yet.  Wildstar does an amazing job and the game looks better while actuallying playing it than it does in screens.  Wildstar is meant to be humurous, light hearted MMO, I'm not sure a super realistic art style would suit it.

• StarlightMuse1StarlightMuse1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Graphics are definitely not my style, but on the other hand, would we really want all games to look the same? What gets me is the price. I don't see this game going very far charging so much, especially when there is so much competition at this time.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Nice write up for only getting to see first 15 levels. 

What is the cooldown on the gap closers Pounce and False Retreat?

I'm curious as to how well Stalker will fair at end game.  Stealth is always fun as solo/duo and 1v1 pvp but typically struggles in large scale content due to mass AoE and ranged dps nuking the crap out of stuff before you can even get behind target.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • OrbaliskBaneOrbaliskBane Member UncommonPosts: 13
    ESO has terrible combat system
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Looks like fun. Lets see how it plays.  I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to WoW rogue class.  I've played dagger spec since 2004.  As for the graphics, they are designed to run well on a WIDE selection of the installed hardware base.  The  ultra high resolution graphics of some games, seriously limit their own appeal to anyone lacking a high end system.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."