Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

Comments

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by GhostRider00
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I play some free to play, Aion, Rift, Neverwinter, a few others, Never have I had to pay to have access to the UI.

I draw the line there. I was going to pay for the sith, had no issue with that, but to pay for something concerning the UI just doesn't sit right with me at all. way I see it, there is also going to be a charge to make the chat font bigger. That one cost them my business, whoever thought it was a good idea to charge for that has no idea why ftp actually makes money. You kinda got to lure them in farther than level 8.

In Rift, you have to pay $5 if you want to use the AH, you have to pay if you want the 3 new classes, give me a break. SWTOR is no different than any other MMO

At least in Rift you can actually play for free as you can grind in game for plat to buy credits to use the cash shop to pay for sub's

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Surely it's greedy to expect someone to create and maintain something and expect everything for free?

P2P that's the way, however, as many people do not like that and would rather a 'free' option this is what we must all put up with now.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by killahh
    Originally posted by Adoni
    From what I understand the purchasing of hot bars is an old issue :(

lol, i could have sworn this read Tissue not issue, had to reread, :)

Hmmm 20 years of MMORPG ? In 2013 ? Curious sig !

What kind of massively multiplayer did u play in 1993 when there wasn't even Internet in 99.9% of the world ? Not to mention that UO wasn't even a project back then.

I'm just curious, cuz, i started when it started and, in 1993, i was still playing street fighter 2 on Super Nintendo. Waaayyyy before anything like, Internet, Smartphones, Email, tweets, facebook, and all that shit happened. Hell, mobiles phones (that didn't fit in a suitcase) didn't even exist ! Those were good days tho, Wu-Tang Clan on the radio and people actually had physical contact with each other.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by haibane

Originally posted by killahh

Originally posted by Adoni From what I understand the purchasing of hot bars is an old issue :(
    lol, i could have sworn this read Tissue not issue, had to reread, :)

What kind of massively multiplayer did u play in 1993 when there wasn't even Internet in 99.9% of the world ? Not to mention that UO wasn't even a project back then.

I'm just curious, cuz, i started when it started and, in 1993, i was still playing street fighter 2 on Super Nintendo. Waaayyyy before anything like, Internet, Smartphones, Email, tweets, facebook, and all that shit happened. Hell, mobiles phones (that didn't fit in a suitcase) didn't even exist ! Those were good days tho, Wu-Tang Clan on the radio and people actually had physical contact with each other.

UO did not start the MMORPG genre. There were also no less than three internet like networks available for playing online games. AOL, Compuserve and I think Delphi. I don't remember the third one. One of them had a D&D type game to play online with other people.

One of them was run by *wait for it* Bioware. Neverwinter Nights, started in 1991 on AOL.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

[quote]Originally posted by Smoey
    Surely it's greedy to expect someone to create and maintain something and expect everything for free?

P2P that's the way, however, as many people do not like that and would rather a 'free' option this is what we must all put up with now.
    F2P games with a cash shop generates way more money than a monthly sub game does, people can play as often ore as little as they please without being forced to play when paying a monthly sub, and then shell out tons of cash to buy items in the shop.

MUD games on BB's maybe? And yes brick phones existed back then, I had one and was able to shove it in a briefcase and flip phones followed suit in 94-95. :P

I can guess that you weren't born before the year 2000.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

U know what the first "M" in MMORPG means MASSIVELY. Tell me how any game before UO was massively multiplayer ?

Same goes for phones, in 1993 we had PAGERS, didn't have a phone till 1997 cuz there was no network back then in Europe and the cost per minute was ridiculous.

So, no. U can have played RPGS for 30 years if u want, starting with Gigax & co or even some random crap before, u can have played videogames for 35 years, yes, but u can't have played mmorpgs for 20. Because 1993 is the year of freaking X-Wing, Syndicate, Secret of Mana, Starfox, Simcity 2000 and DOOM. That's 1993 games. 

In any case, it's derailing the original post that was about complaining on TOR asking u money to unlock action bars. Which is quite wrong i agree. But close to everything about TOR is wrong, unfortunately. Let's hope that another company picks up the star wars universe and make something good; they could start with the old SWG it wasn't that bad...

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by lizardbones

UO did not start the MMORPG genre. There were also no less than three internet like networks available for playing online games. AOL, Compuserve and I think Delphi. I don't remember the third one. One of them had a D&D type game to play online with other people.

You might be thinking of GEnie. As it happens, where I met my husband in 1989, playing an online game.

Around the same time my sister ran a Fidonet node that also had a variety of games on it. Most memorably to me, Tradewars 2002, which has been listed as a major influence in everything from Ultima to Star Citizen.

Online gaming goes a lot further back than people here seem to be aware.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by haibane

U know what the first "M" in MMORPG means MASSIVELY. Tell me how any game before UO was massively multiplayer ?

Everything is relative.

I suspect that in twenty to thirty years we'll look back at the "massive" MMOs of today and think them too small and primitive to do anything save laugh at.

At least I hope so.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

[quote]Originally posted by Smoey

F2P games with a cash shop generates way more money than a monthly sub game does, people can play as often ore as little as they please without being forced to play when paying a monthly sub, and then shell out tons of cash to buy items in the shop.

MUD games on BB's maybe? And yes brick phones existed back then, I had one and was able to shove it in a briefcase and flip phones followed suit in 94-95. :P

I can guess that you weren't born before the year 2000.

of course..thats why every mmo starts as F2P now...lol

seriously, F2P can save an mmo ..but most Money?

you still get that from delivering a good , long term playing experience, like pandaland did

if there was MORE MONEY as  F2P , swtor would have started as that

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Paraphrase:  "I came back to the game and I was too damn stoned to bother to recover my old account which might have had the privileges like, you know, grandfathered in like the sith race and the button bars and stuff, and so instead I came here to whine about F2P because that's what people do these days -- complain that they want some few hundred other people to work for them for free when they are too freaking lazy to do crap for themselves or stick to one game and build community there and support one game company where they play for pennies on the hour."

yup.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Here is the solution to not have to deal with the greed in SWToR if you really wanna play SWToR. Buy a subscription. Really subs only cost you what 15 dollars a month? (13 euro's for me at least). I took a break from SWToR. Came back after two months and tried the F2P part. I was shocked by the price of just about everything. Not able to even buy extra inventory space with ingame money, nope had to pay for real. At the costs half the price of a sub. Just for one extra row of inventory. No thanks. I subbed again and with a sub you have access to all the game mechanics without having to pay any extra real money. I will never understand why people think F2P is the best model. Its way more expensive then subs if you want to experience all the game content.

People also need to start thinking. All those who shout F2P is a better business model then B2P or Subs should notice that EA is a huge fan of F2P. Start think why. EA is the most greedy company out there (well shared first place with Activision). Why would they be a fan of F2P...o thats right, cause F2P means way more income then subs or B2P. That is the only reason why they implanted it, cause it makes them very rich. Not only in MMO's, they also want to insert it in other games. C&C recently got canceled but the idea was to provide you with a F2P model too, where you could buy modules to expand the game with a singleplayer, better units, etc. And they shouted very hard F2P is the future. They only do that if it makes them really rich. So start thinking about it people, F2P isn't free at all. Subs and B2P are waaaaaaaay cheaper.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

You should really just look at it like a subscription game with an unlimited free trial that allows you to play the whole storyline and nothing more.

If you can pay for the unlocks with in-game money on one character you can eventually bring that up to normal F2P-status.

Their model sucks idd, but to nuance the OP: you can have 4 hotbars for a F2P char, which should be enough for many classes.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Jorendo
    Here is the solution to not have to deal with the greed in SWToR if you really wanna play SWToR. Buy a subscription. Really subs only cost you what 15 dollars a month? (13 euro's for me at least). I took a break from SWToR. Came back after two months and tried the F2P part. I was shocked by the price of just about everything. Not able to even buy extra inventory space with ingame money, nope had to pay for real. At the costs half the price of a sub. Just for one extra row of inventory. No thanks. I subbed again and with a sub you have access to all the game mechanics without having to pay any extra real money. I will never understand why people think F2P is the best model. Its way more expensive then subs if you want to experience all the game content. People also need to start thinking. All those who shout F2P is a better business model then B2P or Subs should notice that EA is a huge fan of F2P. Start think why. EA is the most greedy company out there (well shared first place with Activision). Why would they be a fan of F2P...o thats right, cause F2P means way more income then subs or B2P. That is the only reason why they implanted it, cause it makes them very rich. Not only in MMO's, they also want to insert it in other games. C&C recently got canceled but the idea was to provide you with a F2P model too, where you could buy modules to expand the game with a singleplayer, better units, etc. And they shouted very hard F2P is the future. They only do that if it makes them really rich. So start thinking about it people, F2P isn't free at all. Subs and B2P are waaaaaaaay cheaper.
    John Riccitiello wanted to add microtransactions to Battlefield 4, thank God he stepped down, now you only get battlepacks per rank (battlepacks were going to be part of the RMT model). I'll stab my eyes if FPS games ever get that shit, they already have "season pass" for add-ons and DLC's.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

John Riccitiello wanted to add microtransactions to Battlefield 4, thank God he stepped down, now you only get battlepacks per rank (battlepacks were going to be part of the RMT model). I'll stab my eyes if FPS games ever get that shit, they already have "season pass" for add-ons and DLC's.

Isn't World of Tanks essentially a FPS? It is making money hand over fist, I think; so expect future FPS games to, indeed, have cash shops.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

yea, cashshops everywhere now

im surprised, when i find a game , without one

IMO, its okay, as long, as they reinvest most of the revenue back into the game

but, most of them dont

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Those greedy bastards. Why can't they just give away ttheir game for free and sponge for money from the government like the rest?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Those greedy bastards. Why can't they just give away ttheir game for free and sponge for money from the government like the rest?

because, governments take the Money, from ORDINARY , INNOCENT people

i dont want innocents, to suffer , for my sins

place the blame, where it it belongs, with the GAMERS

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I was coming back to the game, lost my account info, was making a new account, everything's good.

Made a new toon, couldn't roll a sith, had to pay for that or unlock in in legacy.....ok, that's cool too, gotta make money somehow, saw new races, that's interesting.

So then I am playing, was enjoying it, done the story before but you know, was enjoying it all the same. So I got some new moves, was telling myself "I want to put that rush ability above my builder, cause it will make for easier clicking." cause I am a clicker.

Then it came up, I HAD TO PURCHASE THE ABILITY TO HAVE EXTRA HOTBARS.

so I uninstalled the game, came here to moan, and warn people talk about how horrible the cash shop is in the game, well here is a prime example.

For Free to Play models, there are better ones than SWTOR. I think DDO, and EQ2 are way better in that respect. I killed my SWTOR subscription just before it went "free", and have never regretted it. The things I've heard about the greedy shop, the punitive interface restrictions, and the loss of beloved character names were all just nails in that coffin. I reckon it's a game that Star Wars fans might enjoy, but since I'm not really into Star Wars, I didn't really love it's themepark (some planets like Taris were insanely dull :P). I think I'm likely to give Wildstar a go while I wait for EQ Next. I'm hoping that Wildstar does a good job with housing, crafting, and general whacky fun. I also quite like the quirky art style and sense of  humour.

it depends, what you want the F2P model, to do

if you want it to generate short-term income, go with swtors model

for anything else, chose...well..anything else

Originally posted by Arclan

Isn't World of Tanks essentially a FPS? It is making money hand over fist, I think; so expect future FPS games to, indeed, have cash shops.

AFAIK , most of them already have

im not a FPS fan, so , i might be wrong

P2WIN is always problematic, specially in very comtetitive games

• I tried to play again today but the whole game has turned into a micro transaction, What happaned to the days of being able to get in game, Play and you see an item you want and you work towards it, Now it's just money money money, Cheapens the whole experience and makes me kind of sad to think this is the way games are heading :(
    Originally posted by Dicehunter
    I tried to play again today but the whole game has turned into a micro transaction, What happaned to the days of being able to get in game, Play and you see an item you want and you work towards it, Now it's just money money money, Cheapens the whole experience and makes me kind of sad to think this is the way games are heading :(

and, when you finally get the shiny, you wanted, theyll just make a better one..rinse, and repeat

im not grinding through a ton of boring pixels, just to get to the pixels, i actually want

i can also live without the epics, if the gameplay is enjoyable without them

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

cash shops only effect you if  you let it. I do not understand how people "think" that because there is a cash shop with shiny things in it they HAVE to use it.

Most anything in the SWTOR cashshop is on the Auction. Sub people call us f2p cheap because we do not want to pay $15 a month, yet they have a HUGE tissy fit over buying $5 of cash shop coins to unlock premium.

This next part refers to ANY game with a cash shop not just SWTOR

Sub mentality think that they should get everything because they sub, YET!!!! there are many sub games with a cash shop that the subs do not get access to, they get a monthly allowance of coins to purchase things from cash shop.... How is being f2p but buying coins to unlock what you want to unlock really any different than buying a sub and getting coins? How much a person spends is based ON YOUR OWN WALLET. You do not NEED to have everything now. Talk about greed and blame the company? heck there is a second kind of greed it is called "Gimme it now Mentality". Someone who has the ability to only spend $5 in coins a month and still play the game THE WAY THEY WANT TO is still supporting their game but is able to play the game on their terms without "wasting" money if they do not play for a while.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Does anyone else see the disconnect between complaining about EA's greed in SWToR by complaining about not getting enough free stuff?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Does anyone else see the disconnect between complaining about EA's greed in SWToR by complaining about not getting enough free stuff?

its the modern, capitalistic mentality

bite the vampire, before he bites you, and, let the one, with the longest fangs win