Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Is the only example of the horrible cash shop the skill bars? Because I don't really see anything else highlighting how horrible it is. Now while I agree that charging money for the skill bars is stupid, it's a small thing and a small amount of money. It's just not that big a deal. At the same time, SWToR has more players now and is generating more money. This is seems like a good example of something getting better, not worse.

It seems to me what people are angry about isn't so much the "horrible" cash shop but that it is working and that there are more people enjoying the game on a regular basis than there has been since a month or so after the game's release.

The other things that are annoying is that certain rewards are not available to you unless you sub, and can not even buy them on free or preferred. You can not remove the credit cap, and prevents buying some unlocks - You can unlock the credit cap in LOTRO.  Also I find the weekly passes to Warzones etc rather sleazy - no other MMO grants weekly passes, you just unlock the stuff. 

There is no evidence that the cash shop is working - 2 million people can enjoy the game, but if they do not spend anything and play for free, then it is not going to work for EA keeping the game alive. 2 million is still not loads for a F2P game, Clone Wars Adventures has exceeded 10 million users.

The game would certainly get more people playing or even paying if the skill bars were part of the game for all, and not open for purchase.  People see they have to pay for these things, and either do not play or do not spend money on game out of principle, especially if they just start out, as if that is the sort of things the game is charging for then people do not want a bar of it.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Is the only example of the horrible cash shop the skill bars? Because I don't really see anything else highlighting how horrible it is.

Also I find the weekly passes to Warzones etc rather sleazy - no other MMO grants weekly passes, you just unlock the stuff.

Simple, the hotbars are the most noticeable restriction which any free player is bumping into. So that's the most recited one.

Superniceguy: it's a pretty common feature in SK grinder ones, and I think the late CoH had it as well (you couldn't unlock AH or vault, etc. there were only weekly and monthly passes). Basically the same as the monthly fee, just with more options and configurations.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I was coming back to the game, lost my account info, was making a new account, everything's good.

Made a new toon, couldn't roll a sith, had to pay for that or unlock in in legacy.....ok, that's cool too, gotta make money somehow, saw new races, that's interesting.

So then I am playing, was enjoying it, done the story before but you know, was enjoying it all the same. So I got some new moves, was telling myself "I want to put that rush ability above my builder, cause it will make for easier clicking." cause I am a clicker.

Then it came up, I HAD TO PURCHASE THE ABILITY TO HAVE EXTRA HOTBARS.

so I uninstalled the game, came here to moan, and warn people talk about how horrible the cash shop is in the game, well here is a prime example.

you "Came here to moan"... you do not say that about yourself... well assuming you are a regular guy that does not want to seem awkward... but if you want to be awkward well, then i guess you are doing it right? lol

Anyways... swtor is not meant to be f2p... its a preview, or free trial that is till the end game and unlimited access to the swtor server... however a free trial gives a person the regular p2p experience for 14 days at least... maybe they need to modify their f2p experience to be 14 days of p2p experience and then its goes to the f2p restrictions.

I think it would reduce the complaints... not moans, but complaints... unless the complaint sounds like a moan... but it would be a complaint. lol

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones Is the only example of the horrible cash shop the skill bars? Because I don't really see anything else highlighting how horrible it is. Now while I agree that charging money for the skill bars is stupid, it's a small thing and a small amount of money. It's just not that big a deal. At the same time, SWToR has more players now and is generating more money. This is seems like a good example of something getting better, not worse. It seems to me what people are angry about isn't so much the "horrible" cash shop but that it is working and that there are more people enjoying the game on a regular basis than there has been since a month or so after the game's release.
    The other things that are annoying is that certain rewards are not available to you unless you sub, and can not even buy them on free or preferred. You can not remove the credit cap, and prevents buying some unlocks - You can unlock the credit cap in LOTRO.  Also I find the weekly passes to Warzones etc rather sleazy - no other MMO grants weekly passes, you just unlock the stuff. 

There is no evidence that the cash shop is working - 2 million people can enjoy the game, but if they do not spend anything and play for free, then it is not going to work for EA keeping the game alive. 2 million is still not loads for a F2P game, Clone Wars Adventures has exceeded 10 million users.

The game would certainly get more people playing or even paying if the skill bars were part of the game for all, and not open for purchase.  People see they have to pay for these things, and either do not play or do not spend money on game out of principle, especially if they just start out, as if that is the sort of things the game is charging for then people do not want a bar of it.

There's even less evidence for the stuff you are saying than there is that the game is making money. EA is at least making statements that their investors take an interest in, and they do keep releasing updates for the game, which aren't free. The money is coming from someplace.

Just to be clear, I'm not really a fan of the game. I hate even using the words, but it's about as close to a WoW clone as it's possible to get with a scifi themed game. At least it was when I played. I only played a couple months past release and briefly when it released as F2P. It could be very different now and I would not know.

The point is, objectively, outside of my dislike of the game, the financial model is working. Even if the F2P players are only spending that $5, it's more than EA was getting out of the game before. Both players who are getting something to play and EA who is getting more money are benefiting. This means the financial model is working. The people who say otherwise are just venting their own personal dislike of the financial model, which is a waste of time because, again, it seems to be working just fine.

There is evidence that the cash shop stuff you've listed exists, just not that it's not working.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass
     you would of had to subscribe before or around the last day of October 2013 , in which case you had to subscribe for 2 months to actually play Galactic Starfighter.

That is not strictly true to play GS, you needed to sub any where from about Nov 4th, which would give you at least Dec 3rd and 4th to try it out, although not sure what would happen if your sub expires after Dec 3rd.  You can sub now and play GS.

The only reason to sub before Nov 1st is to get: Exclusive Gunship "Daring" Paint Jobs with Early Gunship Role Unlock Only available to Subscribers who were also Subscribers on November 1, 2013

Right well , because the poster didn't give us a proper reply then I just assumed he wasn't telling the truth. So if he missed that Nov 1st goodies then well he could of subscribed just after ? Then played GS for a couple of days then went preferred ? That sounds feasible I guess. Maybe he wasn't impressed with GS. Still seems odd but the poster doesn't answer to me :).

http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter

Cheers,

BadOrb.

You.  I didn't give YOU a "proper" reply.  and I don't owe you one either.  You see, the other people in this thread don't make arbitrary timeline estimates based off of the word "recently".

Especially when the entire content of your post is "liar liar pants on fire".

Come up with something more than a strawman argument based on the word "recently" from my post and then I, oh wait you already included the entire community here by proxy, WE might begin to care what you think.

Seems strange that you care enough to post replies to my posts but TBH I don't care , you don't like the game so enough said. Unless you want to tell the whole community what you think of starfighter and why you missed getting the gunship unlock. My guess is no.

On Topic - At least they gave the GS expansion free , o the greed indeed not.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Again, in your attempt to white knight for the game, the entire point flies miles over your head.  I do indeed not care one way or another whether you agree with the actual content of my post.

I DO take umbrage in you drawing incorrect assumptions based on a single subjective word in an entire post and then call me a liar based off of your own personal false premise.

You called me a liar.  Not once but twice.  You insinuated I was lying in your direct reply to me, and then directly called me a liar in your reply to another poster in this thread.  That is the only reason I took the time reply to you.  I honestly don't care what you think of my actual opinions of the game.  I do care when you begin maligning my name simply because my opinion differs from yours.

You, kind sir, are an ass.

Do you feel better now calling me a white knight and an ass ? Good for you , I made a new friend.

It just spanned from you saying that SWTOR is the only game that you would never install on your PC again as it is THAT bad. That was back in September. So why did you install the game again ? To prove that you lie ? Or to bash the game's F2P model ? When obviously to try GS you need to Subscribe at this moment in time , so if GS was to your liking you would then stay subscribed until Preferred get access ? So you still haven't told us what you thought of GS.

All this seems futile  , so let's just conclude , that you said you would never install it again but 3 months later you did. Either don't lie or stick to your words kind Sir! Also BW don't call their F2P players shit heads as another heads up.

Not sure what all these freeloaders want for free , it certainly isn't a silly little title next to their name. Now let's get back on topic for crying out loud.

I don't think EA/BW are greedy in the case of SWTOR , maybe in other games but SWTOR is fine on the greed department as is , of course if people want to pay/buy lots of cash shop items that's their perogative.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by BarCrow

I really wish they would come up with another term other than "Free to Play" .

If some people are not capable to understand what F2P means and ask for new term, they will unlikely understand a new term either.

There is no treatment to human stupidity.

True..and to expect clarity and subterfuge-free marketing these days is just a pipe dream.

There are a few...GW2 is pretty much straight-up with its B2P. The rest is all fluff. Same with TSW for the most part. There are others that aren't that bad either but far more that border on ridiculous or at least annoying enough to not play.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

Inb4 obligatory "b-but Guild Wars 2 doesn't have sub fees!" 

GW2 is boring no end game and zerg fest ring around the rosy 'pvp' 

Sorry I just had to put this out there before one of you did.

I agree. GW 2 is a pretty lacklustre MMORPG. Problem is that so many subscription MMOs are lacklustre aswell.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I didn't believe the OP at first, so I checked it out.  

He's right. A gaming company is trying to make money off their product.

When will this madness end?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    ummm this game makes plenty of money just off the cartel boxes alone , at least thats what they brag about. Selling hot bars and a run speed buff is petty and you can sugar-coat it however you like here. There is some things to charge for and some things that just shows that your a greedy ass company that doesnt deserve its clientele. Reduced experience points gain two action bars limited access to dungeons, pvp, and raids. Sprint missing , and then if you sub and decide to come back later on without paying the 15 bucks to check out a patch or something you lose access to those same features and have to pay to unlock them or resub and begin the cycle again. Its been almost a year since I uninstalled this POS and will never return to this mediocre game that offers no value at all for its consumer. I hate the prices in neverwinter but at least they do not charge for action bars and experience gains which is pathetic.
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Just sub for 15 bucks a month and it's the same game you remember.  Only, now you have to buy stuff as well, since it went F2P.

F2P really means, F2P crap... P2P a decent game.  I don't like the business model and I don't like feeling hustled or nickel and dimed.  I wish all MMO players would just refuse F2P.

No bitchers.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by BarCrow

True..and to expect clarity and subterfuge-free marketing these days is just a pipe dream.

Do not say "true" when you do not agree with the statement.

The term needs no more clarification, it is clear and simple. Some people tho, won't comprehend/accept the term no matter what.

Your opinion or agreement on that matter is irrelevant. No upfront/entry fee = F2P. There is no more in the term.

Originally posted by korent1991

Yes it was. When they went F2P legacy accounts had 2 bars and you had restrictions on every corner.

More restrictive than P2P where you are supposed to pay 15-50 USD just to log in?

If you still find hotbars more restrictive than sub, then just pay a sub and stop complaining. Beauty of F2P scaling, you have a choice.

Originally posted by BarCrowYou and I may know what Free 2 Play actually entails (which is why I subscribe to SWTOR and said " screw the F2P annoyances")....but marketing/sales departments don't give a shit about us.

Apparently they do care about you since they managed to persuade you they posses the capabilities and mystical powers you entitle them.

Marketing is a modern witchery. It is a part of the game since without believe in their mystical powers, they could not run their business.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by kitarad
    GW2 is B2P not F2P. Why would anyone think it is free to play .

Because "Free To Play" is all the rage right now, so attaching your game to that label somehow - even if you have to spin or distort existing definitions to do so - is a popular tactic.

WoW isn't F2P either, but what do you see on their ads? "Play For Free!", with the words "up to level 20" in smaller text below it. The "up to level 20" is there purely to keep it from being false advertising. The game is not free, but they don't want you to focus on that.

People attempt to justify the F2P term for GW2 by saying "well, it doesn't require a sub, therefor F2P". Meanwhile, its actual meaning, in any other context, with any other game is "you can download and play the game without paying anything first". 

It's all marketing buzz-speak, utilized aggressively by marketing and PR folks... because most people accept what they hear/read at face value, do not question or think critically about it. It doesn't help that people will gladly distort reality, revise history and dismiss any piece of info that reflects poorly on whatever game they've thrown their affection into at the moment. I've met very few people who were capable of any degree of objectivity when it comes to a MMO they liked. Most I've seen/encountered feel that liking a game means you must deny and defend it against any negativity or criticism, involving anything to do with the game; some call it "white-knighting". 

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    People who make these games have to pay for shelter and food. I can't fathom why people think everything in life should be free. Would you work for free? I think not. Every Ftp game has a market of some sort and I buy the stuff now and then if I am playing the game.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Yeah screw EA for trying to make money. Fight the man!

I don't blame them for trying to make money, just for them going about it the wrong way.

F2P games with sub options should reward subbers, not penalize non-subbers.

Having bought SW:Tor at launch; the game is complete and utter trash in every way imaginable; save for the single player quest system. The game had a death; and they tried to revive it with a overbearing F2P Cashshop option. I am for one, tired of Cashshops.

MurderHerd

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

- EA can charge what they want; people can pay or not.

- A "good" F2P model will attract people, keep them playing for a "longer" and pay more. A "bad" F2P model will turn people off (bad reviews about the new Angry Birds model).

- SWTOR  still has a sub. Imo EA have tried to give the sub worth by charging for things that are more often than not provided at no charge. SWTOR wasn't designed as a F2P game however - so EA's options are more limited.

Prior to launching the F2P option EA will have created a financial model with monthly revenue targets for 2013 and probably quarterly targets for 2014.

-  2013 had: F2P launch, Makeb and the SSP.

- 2014 has the impact of PS4, XBox1, plethora of new Christmas games.

Result: go for the cash grab; forget about trying to retain F2P players - get their $5 and call it a win. Core subscribers - who will sub regardless - not impacted.. 

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by IsilithTehroth

I don't blame them for trying to make money, just for them going about it the wrong way.

Having bought SW:Tor at launch; the game is complete and utter trash in every way imaginable; save for the single player quest system. The game had a death; and they tried to revive it with a overbearing F2P Cashshop option. I am for one, tired of Cashshops.

And some would call this post and other still crying and whining about the game not be free enough complete and utter trash.  But everyone has their own opinions some are a little more reliable then others though.  

Calling a a game with over a million players a month and making a profit complete and utter trash would fall in the category of not reliable.  But you have your optionand the good news there are plenty of mmos for people who hate (that is an insane concept hating a video game) Swtor to go play.  

Why waste over two years bashing a game that went with a f2p model that's not free enough (another insane concept not free enough) for you.  It's clear based on the amount of cartel items in the ah and the game is making a profit that their f2p model is working and those people who actually play the game find the system not restrictive in the least. 

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

swtor does some Things better, than other mmos

story

companions

its STAR WARS

without these 3 Things, it would have been as dead , as we predicted

as long, as they can sell recolored pixels at 20$ a pop, theyre pretty much invulnerable

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Originally posted by Kicksave321

And some would call this post and other still crying and whining about the game not be free enough complete and utter trash.  But everyone has their own opinions some are a little more reliable then others though.  

Calling a a game with over a million players a month and making a profit complete and utter trash would fall in the category of not reliable.  But you have your optionand the good news there are plenty of mmos for people who hate (that is an insane concept hating a video game) Swtor to go play.  

Why waste over two years bashing a game that went with a f2p model that's not free enough (another insane concept not free enough) for you.  It's clear based on the amount of cartel items in the ah and the game is making a profit that their f2p model is working and those people who actually play the game find the system not restrictive in the least. 

Oh you mistake what I mean. If a game is worthy enough I'd gladly pay a fee for the service; however SW:Tor was not good enough P2P let alone F2p where you have to spend money at every point. I prefer Sub games; [mod edit]

MurderHerd

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

SWTOR is profitable so we should condemn EA for succeeding in making money!

Hang on a min.. LOLWUT?!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

millions of accounts not players, playing the game and seeing the most of time people just afk or wait in the fleet and given anytime you will get around 150 to 200 players in 2 instance, you hardly have 1k players on each server

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

millions of accounts not players, playing the game and seeing the most of time people just afk or wait in the fleet and given anytime you will get around 150 to 200 players in 2 instance, you hardly have 1k players on each server

Ah but your a tad off.  You see my server had 4 instances on the fleet that's just one side btw.  Plus on oricin there were another 5 instances, then when we ran palace it had 32 others in there.  See just those three areas I'm over 1k players and the one area was only from one side.  So you take all the other worlds Botha sides all the flash points all the ops all the war zones you get a lot more then 1k but hey that's in game actually numbers not some random poster guessing.  

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

Well if a company is trying to nickle and dime you then it's not really good for the public image of the game, since it'll most likely do more harm than good to the game.

BUT  it's not all that black, because you can simply get rid of those cash shop frustrations if you upgrade to subscription and at the moment the game does offer a lot of content for the money they're asking (on some 3rd party sites you can get as low as 10€ for 60 days of game time - that's the price of 3 good beers in a pub). I'm saying this because I was checking the game out just yesterday and it was pretty good what I saw (if I compare it to my previous memory of when I was playing it last).

Yeah the cash shop limitations are horrible - but it's playable (at least one of the best parts is playable without any real restrictions - and that's the story).

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

Well if a company is trying to nickle and dime you then it's not really good for the public image of the game, since it'll most likely do more harm than good to the game.

BUT  it's not all that black, because you can simply get rid of those cash shop frustrations if you upgrade to subscription and at the moment the game does offer a lot of content for the money they're asking (on some 3rd party sites you can get as low as 10€ for 60 days of game time - that's the price of 3 good beers in a pub). I'm saying this because I was checking the game out just yesterday and it was pretty good what I saw (if I compare it to my previous memory of when I was playing it last).

Yeah the cash shop limitations are horrible - but it's playable (at least one of the best parts is playable without any real restrictions - and that's the story).

yeah sub for 2 months and you run all content, make a char with some nice pvp gear even if you like doing the pvp warzones and.... that is all

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.