Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To You, MMOs are...

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Straight up.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Comments

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Both....

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by ego13
    Both....

What game are you playing right now?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I would have liked to have voted: "Extinct" but settled for "Entertainment" :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Not to nitpick but, wouldn't almost anyone who goes as far as creating profiles on sites like this be considered a gaming hobbyist?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Both options mean the same thing to me.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Not to nitpick but, wouldn't almost anyone who goes as far as creating profiles on sites like this be considered a gaming hobbyist?

This site has nothing to do with why I enjoy mmos. I can't stand pvp when I'm playing games :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Distopia

This site has nothing to do with why I enjoy mmos. I can't stand pvp when I'm playing games :)

Carebear! :p

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by ego13
    Both....

What game are you playing right now?

Warframe, FFXIV, BFIV, Forza V, Age of Wushu, Ghost Recon Online, and some others very casually.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Where are the options for escape/immersion and relaxation?

Originally posted by Barrikor

Where are the options for escape/immersion and relaxation?

Really that still all falls under Hobby...

Hobbys generally are synonymous with relaxation, stress relief, enjoyment., escape/immersion (although this one is rather sad).

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I like the subtle difference between the two options. I can imagine the difference of each vote would have strong correlations between those who want more of a virtual world; and those who want a focus more around the game aspect.

I voted hobby.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I've been playing them for over a decade, so it's more than just entertainment. It's a hobby for me, but not one I take very seriously. There's been times when I didn't play an MMO for extended periods of time whereas other hobbies of mine, I would feel lost without doing them at least a few times a week. That doesn't really mean anything about what type of game I enjoy though. I've had fun in games ranging from EVE to WoW to Atlantica Online. 
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Dead and over. Dont play anymore but I do get a lot of laughs reading arguments on this site.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Both - when I'm in the middle of playing one it's an entertainment, but when I'm talking or thinking about them outside the game it's a a hobby.  Long-term projects within a game could possibly count as hobby-material too.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Casual entertainment.  I don't think the character I play represents "me", not in any way - it's just a minion put there to interact with the game mechanics.
  • STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

lol..."straight up".

Who and where do you think you are? MMOs are games....that's all.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

A hobby. In my normal day/week of traveling for work, shift work, and the business of life I like being able to plug into a game for one of my odd hour days off and be able to have some fun, build some things, run a few dungeons and all that sort of thing. I like being able to see other people around and doing things, and even when I'm not around the game world is still moving along and happening. A virtual world.

Lately, it just feels irritating. Like you haven't had a chance to mentally recharge after a busy stretch of hard work and someone is just pushing you to do more and more work without a chance at 'fun time' for yourself. Having and not having a mmo somewhere in the background definitely either makes my day, or bums me out.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST

lol..."straight up".

Clearly NOT for some here, since they rather spend time hating on something they don't like(hating on games oh well...), because it may "soil" the holy name of mmos, than playing on somehting they like.

Seems they are trying to fill their emptiness with games :(

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

lol..."straight up".

Clearly NOT for some here, since they rather spend time hating on something they don't like(hating on games oh well...), because it may "soil" the holy name of mmos, than playing on somehting they like.

What's wrong with complaining about stuff that irritates you? Cycling is one of my favorite hobbies but I hate the average American driver because they apparently own the road and I should be on the shoulder which is covered with garbage and poorly paved. Well, the shoulder isn't a bike lane. I bitch about it constantly. I still love cycling, but sometimes you just need to release some hate to vent. All posts like yours accomplish is pissing people off even more. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Both.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    A huge disappointment.
  • madman356647madman356647 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

lol..."straight up".

What's wrong with complaining about stuff that irritates you? Cycling is one of my favorite hobbies but I hate the average American driver because they apparently own the road and I should be on the shoulder which is covered with garbage and poorly paved. Well, the shoulder isn't a bike lane. I bitch about it constantly. I still love cycling, but sometimes you just need to release some hate to vent. All posts like yours accomplish is pissing people off even more. 

The problem is that venting is one thing, but I see a lot of nonsense on this site.  Here, I see people making threads (as in many) about how "This game's forum is facism personified", or "worst customer service ever", or "how terrible this game is despite my best intentions to stop the devs from completely screwing over themselves and every gamer in the world (as only I can)" over and over.

To vent is to say "This annoys me, and I'm mad", (and here's the key) then to call it good and leave it as is.  You've vented your frustration, and there's no need to continuously state it.  That said, people here need to understand that some folks like different things than you (I like some games on this site that others vehemently don't and vice versa).  I'm not in those games forums trying to start nonsense (actually, I tend to lurk).  I play the games I like and leave it be.  Making numerous nostalgic circle-jerk threads, demonizing a game/site/company over a forum ban (upon which certain details or often omitted), or what seems to be every waking moment of your life trying to loudly proclaim "This game sucks, and here's why (note, the second part tends to be optional)!"

Thing is, we all have decided complaining means being as loud and obnoxious as we can hoping everyone notices.  I mean, it all worked when we were children, right?  Throwing a fit in the middle of a store as our parents said we couldn't get a certain toy?  No.  Look up the Pachter video on whining and complaining, then take a run through the most recent posts.

I understand it's hard to not have "the one game" for whatever reason, but does that mean it permits you to make others miserable because of that? 

Whatever though, I'm one of those "easy mode, casual gamer scum" that has drunk the Kool-Aid and become a (insert game company) fanboy.

MMOs are a game, like fighters, like shooters, like RTS.  Nothing more.  We will always fall for the new and shiny, we will always grouse about it, and we will always fall for the next new and shiny.  Can't wait for EQN and the cycle to repeat!

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    ....Life

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

lol..."straight up".

But you still cycle, right? That's the main difference between what you do and what the majority of this site does.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Both apply since a hobby is something entertaining you do in your spare time, but I had to go with entertainment because if it isn't fun, I don't want to do it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None