Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Guilds, How to Make Friends and Influence People

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Guilds are an integral part of most MMOs but there is a right way and, conversely, a wrong way to go about putting a guild together. Read our latest Fair Game to find out more. Leave your thoughts on guilds in the comments.

-Begin at the beginning: Who, what, and why

Before you start designing heraldry or making plans for matching gear, it’s important to decide what kind of guild you actually want.  To do that, you have to figure out what you want from a guild, what you hope to achieve, and just how much you’re willing to put into it to get there.

Do you prefer guilds that are small and intimate? Then consider building from the people you already know personally, online or off.  Or do you envision an enormous guild, with a complex hierarchy and overflowing with a never ending stream of new recruits?

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Fair Game: Guilds, How to Make Friends and Influence People.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• codexana4411codexana4411 Member UncommonPosts: 8

what games have guild housing?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

daoc had guild housing for example ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Asherons Call 1 has guild houses, SWG had them as well, Age of Conan has guild forts that can be built.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

"Know when to walk away"

Honestly this is false. If you get to a point where you don't want to deal with the rest of the things in this post, I suppose walking away is a good thing, but any guild is going to go through peaks and valleys. Rebuilding is a part of any good guild. Most good guilds aren't good until they have been rebuilt once or twice.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MuddahMuddah Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Eq1 and eq2 both have guild houses eq2 guildhalls are amazing
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    this is quite funny, with this article your basicly saying mmo players are not able to socialize.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    In today's torrid MMO market it's essential to have a great Guild since most companies are focusing less and less on actual in game communities.  This is where Guilds really shine!  

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• NaucanoNaucano Member UncommonPosts: 80

... ?

Here I was under the impression these old ideas of gouping up was slowly dying.  Guilds have never been a "user" dictated feature of a game. It was and is always been a marketing idea being said to be "asked" for. 

Rated M for Mature - May contain content inappropriate for children