Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft has 7.7 million players

According to this  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/26/world-of-warcraft-down-to-77-million-subscribers so many players thats it's just unbelievable.

Comments

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    I think it would be more accurate to say it has 7.7 million subscribers. I still pay the sub but can't bring myself to log in, and the server where i play seems pretty deserted
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It had 7.7 million. Some accounts put the figure closer to 6 million now which is probably about right.

Blizz certainly isn't bragging about it these days, and they're setting things up so they can go with a more hybrid financial model.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Psst psst... that article is from July... why make a thread about a number that was long ago that is very unlikely to be true now.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    And under wow subloss  we have video about What is WildStart  just coincidence ? yeah sure .....
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    It had 7.7 million. Some accounts put the figure closer to 6 million now which is probably about right.

Blizz certainly isn't bragging about it these days, and they're setting things up so they can go with a more hybrid financial model.

And yet all MMO developers would still give their left nut to have WoW's subs at their lowest point.  And why would they brag?  For the a while now they have been on a steady decline which is only natural since the MMO marker has been ever expanding. 

Be more interesting to see how WoD affects the subs.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Even if 50mil would play this game, i wouldnt touch it. Maybe when it goes f2p like it is in asia. I would dare to play for a few hours to see  whats the magic behind it. Prolly i will find out what i already think to know: wow attracts  the average joe.

I think that some ppl that play the game have the potential to study and get really good grades due their intellect but unfortunatly, they dont seem to know that and rather waste their life in a imaginary world. Most ppls dont know but wow uses specific things that make you addicted to it. Thats why wow is so succesful.

But with todays knowledge and education grade- remember back then when wow was successful - they didnt ahve competition because

a) other games had 2 high comp. specs

b) there were not many alternatives

c) the hype train for anime inspired graphics just rose by a tenfold-

but with todays standard, blizzard will never be again that succesfull, no matter what they try. Lets not forget that those ppl that started to play wow are grown ups now- and i bet my ass that those guys learned their lesson the hard way (most of them)- and wont let their childs playing mmos that intense- for giving up their whole childhood.

We can only speculate why wow today isnt getting more subs, but we can be certain that their playerbase is still the old from 2004- and someday even those will get hitted hard from mother real-live.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    According to this  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/26/world-of-warcraft-down-to-77-million-subscribers so many players thats it's just unbelievable.

Heh, the advertisement for WoW's battle chest on the side of the page is kind of funny.

I thought they were down to 7M players awhile back? This article is from back in July, is it current?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129
    In 5-10 years they should finally drop down to the average sub count thats on the market right now.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DMKano

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/06/world-of-warcraft-down-another-400000-subscribers/

7.6 mil as of last month - they lost 100k from august-november.

Whoever said they are at 6mil now is flat out wrong, or Blizz lost 1.6mil subs last month, which I find hard to believe.

They are flat out wrong, 3rd Qtr Sub numbers I see are clearly stated as 7.6 million so seems to be holding more less steady. (actually the article you quoted made an error originally, and it says it only went down 100K between Aug and Nov reports)

Seems the game is in pretty solid shape actually.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

It's accounts, but it's old number.

I think it's still remarkable number considering the age of WOW.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

7 million users?

last time i saw a forum post about another mmo stating totaly proud how they have ONE MILLION USERS NOW!

wow "only" has 7 million? awwwww

seriously, make up your minds guys.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Originally posted by Thane

I did, I never was one of the millions nor am I now nor will I ever be.

Blizzard knows how to milk a cow and cow rimes with wow.:)

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Thane
    7 million users?

last time i saw a forum post about another mmo stating totaly proud how they have ONE MILLION USERS NOW!

wow "only" has 7 million? awwwww

But it's WoW. The Great Darkness! Any statistics or information related to the game are bad!

What other MMORPG has lost 40% of their players and had the b@lls to announce the numbers publicly?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

It will be interested to see what the future holds for WoW.  7 Million players is still amazing no matter how you look at it.  You are looking at a genre that finds success with holding 500k players.

Blizzard knows F2P is key and I believe they will find some sort of common ground with either WoW or their new MMO game.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• Tenk575Tenk575 Member UncommonPosts: 116

The ship has come and gone, my friend. What would they need to brag about? Numbers are number. They're down to an all time, but still have a subscriber number that any developer would cream in their pants for, even if it was cut in half. 

This has been the case for a long, long time now. World of Warcraft has secured its place as the most successful MMO to ever exist. I just hope I'm around for the one that breaks those numbers. I doubt it will ever happen considering the free2play model a lot of the new games are taking. 

I'm by no means a fanboy. But, behold the king of all MMOs. It doesn't matter whether you like it, or I like it, the numbers speak for themselves. 

HA! I remember when we used to call Everquest the king because of how many subscribers they had. Think about that number and then what WoW has accomplished. 

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by exile01

Even if 50mil would play this game, i wouldnt touch it. Maybe when it goes f2p like it is in asia. I would dare to play for a few hours to see  whats the magic behind it. Prolly i will find out what i already think to know: wow attracts  the average joe.

I think that some ppl that play the game have the potential to study and get really good grades due their intellect but unfortunatly, they dont seem to know that and rather waste their life in a imaginary world. Most ppls dont know but wow uses specific things that make you addicted to it. Thats why wow is so succesful.

But with todays knowledge and education grade- remember back then when wow was successful - they didnt ahve competition because

a) other games had 2 high comp. specs

b) there were not many alternatives

c) the hype train for anime inspired graphics just rose by a tenfold-

but with todays standard, blizzard will never be again that succesfull, no matter what they try. Lets not forget that those ppl that started to play wow are grown ups now- and i bet my ass that those guys learned their lesson the hard way (most of them)- and wont let their childs playing mmos that intense- for giving up their whole childhood.

We can only speculate why wow today isnt getting more subs, but we can be certain that their playerbase is still the old from 2004- and someday even those will get hitted hard from mother real-live.

if you think WoW's graphics are anime inspired you need help.

Also Asia-WoW isn't f2p. You pay for the time you play instead of paying for a month's time regardless how much you play throughout that month. It benefits people who don't play that much but people who play alot pay -way- more than what we pay by just paying 15 for a month.

Also if you really think that WoW's playerbase is the same people from the beginning you need even more help. WoW picks up new players all the time. It's the old players that are leaving thats why WoW is losing so many subs. And new players joining all the time.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Still pretty good for the old gal! Most companies can't even hold 400k; two years after launch. I don't see them changing their subscription model before 2015. They might go hybrid after that (or below a certain threshold). Even if they are down to 7.5 million, that is still a pretty amazing number. Part of that money is going to fund that movie! So we've got that!

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

/me looks up
    /me realizes the sky isn't falling
    /me goes back to my regularly scheduled program

in other news ... who cares?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)