Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprised

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Umm sorry bro. Cryptic doesnt get the credit for the "depth" of this game.

That goes to TSR and then Wizards of the Coast for publishing (A)D&D.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

After playing both superhero games from cryptic, I am surprised the at the depth of this game.

This game has a lot of features that franl;y. I was expecting. I'm huge on character progression , attribute systems and clsass systems, and this game has it. The mini games have been the best mini games to date with each class possessing it's pwn ability to be OP. 

Good work Cryptic , don't F it up please !

I can see this filling a void in my top f2p list ....

Gary Gygax just rolled over in his grave.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Hokie

The depth as in the character progression attribute system ect.

I;m not your bro.

I played from launch to a couple months after.  Let me tell you, the only depth that game has is how expensive and ridiculous the cash shop prices are.  It's not a bad game by any means, but it's a pretty shallow game at best.  You'll see, give it a month.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Hokie

The depth as in the character progression attribute system ect.

I;m not your bro.

I played from launch to a couple months after.  Let me tell you, the only depth that game has is how expensive and ridiculous the cash shop prices are.  It's not a bad game by any means, but it's a pretty shallow game at best.  You'll see, give it a month.

That's why I quit the game, it just came across as a greedy game that just wanted to mug my wallet every time I wanted to improve my character, either through opening the lockboxes or upgrading the enchants.

However I returned after doing a little research on the games economy and I found that with a little more effort on my part that I could create my own wealth without having to resort to spending ridiculous amounts of RL money.

I play the AH,  I even play the Zen/AD market (although it's a lot slower to amass wealth that way) but I've put just as much effort into wealth creation as I have in improving my character.

Yes the game is geared to rip you off if you let it, but be savvy, have some patience and it will pay off in the long term.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Put it here first: Don't get me wrong, I like Neverwinter and its place among the Cryptic titles.

However, in character building it's not even on the same page as CO's Freeform system (nor the late CoH's Powersets, and  STO has more depth as well)

Neverwinter's main advantage is (I mean imo) exactly that it's easier than the former games, much more straightforward. Easier to hone your build, the systems are simpler, gear has a bigger significance.

Powers, you can get all of them (or skip a few and get all the rest on rank3). Feats have only 1-2 "good" configurations (and maybe 1-2 more with less viability, but fun), and there's the 3 Paragon paths.

And with Shadowmantle, a second paragon for DC, CW and TR. (fighters got each others' paragon...)

I'm not really dived into the Artifacts so far, but it smells a lot like LotRO's LIs... which is not good :) Same with the new companion stats. I guess we'll see on the long run, how those will turn out.

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by AwDiddums

I play the AH,  I even play the Zen/AD market (although it's a lot slower to amass wealth that way) but I've put just as much effort into wealth creation as I have in improving my character.

Are you playing RPG or some stock market simulator?

And yes, NWO is an awful game.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

This

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Put it here first: Don't get me wrong, I like Neverwinter and its place among the Cryptic titles.

However, in character building it's not even on the same page as CO's Freeform system (nor the late CoH's Powersets, and  STO has more depth as well)

Neverwinter's main advantage is (I mean imo) exactly that it's easier than the former games, much more straightforward. Easier to hone your build, the systems are simpler, gear has a bigger significance.

Powers, you can get all of them (or skip a few and get all the rest on rank3). Feats have only 1-2 "good" configurations (and maybe 1-2 more with less viability, but fun), and there's the 3 Paragon paths.

and this is a concise description of what was wrong and right with DnD 4.0. the 4th ed. failed not because of its combat mechanics, nor the Spellplague, but b/c of the complete lack of real character customization allowed in 3.5 ed.

tabletop players went from a wide variety of individually crafted builds that were designed around the story and the character the player wanted to put into the story, to being a dumbed down version of a tabletop miniatures campaign.

my friends and i didn't care for it mostly, but we all agreed it would more than likely make a decent mmo.

(btw: i play NW off and on, it's a fun little game and i don't spend any cash on it. so its admirable for what it does, imo.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by aspekx

and this is a concise description of what was wrong and right with DnD 4.0. the 4th ed. failed not because of its combat mechanics, nor the Spellplague, but b/c of the complete lack of real character customization allowed in 3.5 ed.

Yep, we stopped at 3.0 back in the days :)

What I tried to say with my post, while Neverwinter is a nice game, I like to play it on and off, but definitely not because it has a deep character building... CO and STO is much better for theory crafting.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    They have been dumbing down "D&D" since 2nd edition to try and "mainstream" and appeal to the masses (aka make more money) and it hasn't really worked all that well, so that is on WotC. As a D&D game Neverwinter is yet another franchise cash grab from Cryptic and really leaves a bad taste in this old school D&D players mouth. As a Cryptic game it's alright, if you can get past them using a slightly modified version of the same engine, and that incessant dramatic music playing (which I always shut off anyhow). It just leaves a bad taste because game play is so clearly built around the cash shop... I will not lie though, I do enjoy the game play, it's just such a shallow game for an MMORPG.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

If you reroll that frequently, and don't want to spend 3 bucks for every token, you can join to the test server.

With that you can try out every point allotment configuration that comes to mind (but there aren't that much) for free.

Originally posted by furbans
    [mod edit]

This atrocity is actually a pretty fun game. I agree with the rest. DDO's character development is great, but as you wrote yourself, it has issues on other areas...

At the bottom line I guess what only matters is the fun factor. For me (as a perfectly neutral one, since I like both Turbine and Cryptic, and don't like 3.5 nor 4.0) it's clear: I haven't played DDO since months, and I log into Neverwinter every couple of days. None of them are perfect games, but Neverwinter is more suited for having fun in random, short, occasional sessions.

And if I'm in theory crafting mood, then there's TSW :)

Edit: slip of the tongue... :) "since I like both Turbine and Cryptic"  their games, I mean. Lol

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Some of the crtical posts I just am not finding any of that true. 

I personal am a points precise person, and the fact that you have to reroll if you mess up is a lot of fun for me. Rerolled my trickster 4 times now :D, Thats just how I am :D

Funny thing, in the majority of mmos (F2P or P2P) you will never have to pay for a respec.  This is just yet another example of the greed.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a company making some money for their hard work.  But, to ask about $6 for a respec is pretty ridiculous.   You can try to justify it however you want, but no one is buying it.

P.S. I was one of the foolish people who purchased the $60 guardian founder packs before the game launched.  So, I'm not some freeloader who plays F2P and just complains about spending money on them.  When a game is good, I don't feel bad spending $.  This game with all the exploits and cash grab around every corner just killed the game for me.  I did enjoy the combat though.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Newfr

And yes, NWO is an awful game.

Yeah, this made it sound really fun. F2P models just keep getting worse and worse. I'm not bashing all F2P, started out as a neat idea, but it just seems to be getting more invasive and restricting, where you have to work just as much as you get to play (or spend a fortune just to have what should come with the game). 15 a month is sounding better and better. I do think the genre should have many options for pricing models, to fit the vast variety of gamers, but f2p is getting more lopsided toward the bad.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by furbans
    [mod edit]

And the quests (not all of course but most-especially the higher levs) are the best IMO in any mmo. Classes too, as they stick fairly close to DnD- rogues actually do rogue things (secret doors, find/disarm traps that will kill you on elite setting) and not just dps, the amount of wizard spells are amazing (and not just damage spells, but support or offbeat like dimension door), etc. Does have problems- like melee combat, no open world and more, but for depth of classes and well-crafted quests can't be beat.

Not to be insulting, but the Op and others that throw money at mediocre, overpriced cash-grab type game, only create an environment where devs/companies will keep making them as why wouldn't they when they can make a ton without high dev costs or any attempt at innovation or worry about having too high of quality. Just keep pumping items/services into CS (resources which devs used to put into the games themselves). If people wouldn't put up with this stuff, they'd have to try something else to get our money, and maybe something better would be the result.

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72

I wouldn't mind an explanation from the OP regarding their opinions.  Maybe things have changed since launch, which I'm half expecting.  I certainly don't think s/he is talking about the same game I played which was the most linear game I've ever played and where, after reaching max level in 2 weeks you wondered what the point was - especially with the debacle of the auction house glitch.

Although kudos to all those that delved into the player made content - some of that stuff was really good, and if those same people turn their talents and energy to EQ Landmark, there will be some awesome creations....

Originally posted by ropenice
    Originally posted by Newfr

Yeah, this made it sound really fun.

15 a month is sounding better and better. I do think the genre should have many options for pricing models, to fit the vast variety of gamers, but f2p is getting more lopsided toward the bad.

Yep, I never got that even in STO... Playing with only 1 pair is boring, if they want to play on the exchange there's forex :)

(on the other hand, Neverwinter's Zen exchange was pretty volatile in the last few weeks, rate went up to 480ish and then dropped back to the 420ish range again. It's not unusual during expansion launches)

A bit away from Neverwinter, for the 15/month - it's still there. Many f2p games kept the monthly sub, because of as you wrote the genre should have many options for pricing models - I agree. In Neverwinter's case, which launched without a sub, you still can drop in the 15/month if you wish, with buying Zen every month, and spend it on bags, etc.

After a year and $180 you'll maybe realise that you've bought everything needed and you can stop paying for a while, just playing for free. On a sub game however, after that $180 if you stop paying, you lose every access to the game. Is that really a better model? :)

And for the DDO post (which is a nice game, I've played it a lot back in the days), finished with f2p bashing: you do know that DDO was the game which kickstarted the whole f2p wave, right? :) And if Turbine didn't switch it to f2p, the game would've been dead by now? Just sayin'... :)   edit: I just saw the giveaway with the title. Just Thayin. Lol.

(and I put it here again, as I wrote before, I agree with those who say Neverwinter's character development is... errr... not rocket science. But apart from that, it's a decent game.)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I play this game also but lets be frank and honest this game has no depth at all from its crafting system where everyone must do astral diamonds to the way the character progression skills are setup so you have to buy a respec token for 300 zen when you get to end game and some classes way before then or run a gimp toon.  Also the cash shop is by far the most expensive cash shop ive ever played in a game made by any studio out of the west. Which they nickle and dime you far worse than any game ive played yet. Everything from their rune system to their companion system requires you to dish out money or farm astral diamonds for days. I know this isnt all cryptic as perfect world is about 110% sure the reason this game is going to end up failing in the end once other games with similiar combat IE TESO come out and do not nickle and dime you. Sucks because if this game was made with no  perfect world pulling the strings it would be a awesome game I think .
  • STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

This

What's really funny is you ppl mentioning this guy that has had NOTHING to do with anything since I was like 15 (long ago). He can roll around his grave (not dead as far as I know) all he wants. He can break dance there....his version of DnD died with him and the better version came after.

I wrote kickstarted, maybe not the right word (not native here)...

I ment it was the first big game that was near extinction and the f2p switch not only saved it, but set it on an upwards route, with population boost, new expansions, etc.

DDO was the first game where it became obvious even the suits on the top of the foodchain that f2p can bring in a lot of money on the west as well. DDO's result was the initial big push for other games to switch too, and in 2 years the market was full with freemium games.