Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will upcoming MMOs make [mod edit - current games]look even more dated

DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Check out the new Snowdrop engine from Ubisoft´s the Division and then compare to SWTORs engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeH9OqygzI&hd=1

Can I have a Star Wars MMO please with that type of graphics? Please, Disney?

[mod note, this is not really specific to one game - moved to The Pub and title changed to avoid being baiting]

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Oh phooey!  I need to be 18+ to access that video ...

Heres the Machinima link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCp8CdAB8fc

Silly YouTube :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to waste such an engine to a Star Wars game.

The fans will buy less advanced games anyway, as long as it says SW and has lightsabers.

I'd like to see a post apocalypctic thriller kind of game made with that engine, the immersion would be astonishing.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Check out the new Snowdrop engine from Ubisoft´s the Division and then compare to SWTORs engine

If you see such a video and your first thought is SWTOR, I don't even know what to say.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by Distopia

If you see such a video and your first thought is SWTOR, I don't even know what to say.

Obsession?

Also, as games move forward, why wouldn't ANY GAME LOOK DATED? Why just this one? rofl. Good lord.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

No, all MMOs coming out from here forward will look like 8 bit retro games and TOR will just look more advanced graphically as time goes on.

This thread seems a little pointless.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

My thoughts exactly.  Everything some of these poster focus on is SWTOR, the sad part is some of them hate Swtor but yet always come to reference and compare everything to something they hate.  It's sure mind blowing isn't it.  

I wonder if they drive down the road and are oh look that tree looks way better then swtor tree.  

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Check out the new Snowdrop engine from Ubisoft´s the Division and then compare to SWTORs engine   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeH9OqygzI&hd=1     Can I have a Star Wars MMO please with that type of graphics? Please, Disney?

ROFL!

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Swanea

Obsession?

Also, as games move forward, why wouldn't ANY GAME LOOK DATED? Why just this one? rofl. Good lord.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

no,,those biodrones have sabotaged the Graphics research, to prevent that

but , two can play that game, i just paid the panda, to take a dump in their cockpits

he would have done it for free, but i forked over some Cash, to motivate him further

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

i was thinking more of one of those modern squad shooters, that i dont play

an mmo in this quality would be nice, but well prolly have to wait some years for that

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

There is a difference between "sytilzed art design" and "photorealistic art design".

Has nothing to do with "looking dated".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    The whole point of the exaggerated art styles in games like WoW, TOR, Wildstar, and EQN is that they scale in quality depending on the strength of your machine, and don't get dated in the same way that attempts at "realistic" art do.  And "even more" dated?  You're showing your hand, considering TOR looks pretty comparable to other games that take the same approach to art direction.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh look, another one comparing multiplayer games to mmos.

how many players can play it together again? seriously, this discussion is always the same.

someone links a multiplayer game (usualy up to max 32 players) and compares it to a random mmo...........

just why?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

SWTOR looked dated the day it came out.  Compare it to the graphics in Age of Conan which came out four years prior.

The SWTOR character creation process alone was already ten years out of date when it release.  FOUR options in the body slider?  Midget, Slightly Normal, Giant Hulk, Fat Bastard.  Boy them's some options!

Originally posted by h0urg1ass

SWTOR looked dated the day it came out.  Compare it to the graphics in Age of Conan which came out four years prior.

The SWTOR character creation process alone was already ten years out of date when it release.  FOUR options in the body slider?  Midget, Slightly Normal, Giant Hulk, Fat Bastard.  Boy them's some options!

You're confusing graphics quality with art style.

The Force shall free me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Well actually TOR loses at both.  The engine is a hot mess. Ilum was a disgrace.

Originally posted by evilastro

Well actually TOR loses at both.  The engine is a hot mess. Ilum was a disgrace.

In what sense?  What was it supposed to look like?

The Force shall free me.

• BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107

What a bizzare post. Of course they will. Newer games with better graphics making previous games look dated! Whatever next...

Why would you have to ask such a question? Ahh yeah of course its somehow those greedy SWTOR devs fault.

r.i.p. c!

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    So, the OP sees a multiplayer game (with max 32 players if i'm not wrong) and thinks: which game do i hate the most? TOR of course. Let's go to MMORPG and make a post about both engines. What? one is just a multiplayer game and the other an MMO? Who cares, it's the MMORPG forums after all. 
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

1. the Division is not an mmorpg

2. different art style

3. the graphics of the Division  makes all other games look dated, not just swtor (why single it out?)

Originally posted by djazzy

3. the graphics of the Division  makes all other games look dated, not just swtor (why single it out?)

Just a very poorly veiled dig at stylized graphics from someone who prefers photo-realistic ones.

The Force shall free me.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    If Disney comes out with a SPG RPG SW game with co-op, then they may want to look at that engine. But everyone is out of luck on a new SW MMO for a long time. No use in wasting time crying about choices made. As long as they are making money with TOR, it will continue on it's current path.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Originally posted by artemisentr4
    If Disney comes out with a SPG RPG SW game with co-op, then they may want to look at that engine. But everyone is out of luck on a new SW MMO for a long time. No use in wasting time crying about choices made. As long as they are making money with TOR, it will continue on it's current path.

Not to nitpick, but Disney won't be coming out with any games.  They outsourced all SW game development to EA, and have stated they have no interest in taking any role but licensing agreements when it comes to core gaming.

Besides, no MMO is going to have graphics that good, not until they are old enough to no longer be considered "that good."

The Force shall free me.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by djazzy

Just a very poorly veiled dig at stylized graphics from someone who prefers photo-realistic ones.

"stylized" is the most wonderful euphemism for "lazy and low-tech"

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Nobody mentioned the best part of the video. 

The narrator and presentation.

Reminds me of being sold an ED-209 by Omni Consumer Products.